Feeling insulted at work...

You're actually very lucky, believe it or not. No one would hire me with "just" a bachelor's degree so I ended up having to work temp clerical jobs to keep the rent paid. I finally gave up looking and went to graduate school to shut up all the "where's your master's" garbage from employers and was hired during my graduate internship (and finished my MA the first year at work).

That was (egads) 28 years ago!!:wtf:

YOu have to be willing to roll your sleeves up and be a team player; I am sure much of the "menial" tasks you are being given are testing your ability to follow orders, work with others, etc. Unfortunately, yes, many entry level jobs are like this and take time to prove yourself as the "newbie". Unfortunately, many of us have advanced degrees, and that is not a prerequisite for starting at the top...nothing beats hands on experience.

As a VP of a large healthcare consulting firm (who also has 26 years of hands on experience), I cannot tell you how many college grads I interview who feel that entry level positions are "beneath" them or dont want to do the work that comes along with added responsibilities.

ITA. Kick ASS at every 'menial' task you do and show you are willing to go above and beyond and learn, learn, learn.

When I was fresh out of university with my new degree my first job was a receptionist at an import/export firm (I wanted to go into int'l business). Yeah, I had to answer phones, take messages, greet visitors, set up deliveries, type memos, file, fax (no email in these days) AND...I had to *pour coffee* for the president of our company whenever he decided to stop playing golf and come into the office and actually work! :cursing: Talk about menial tasks - yuck!! But I took every chance I could to learn about the business. Sure, I was the 'kid' and my ideas were often ignored or chuckled at, but I stayed confident with my abilities and just kept an open mind to work hard and be a team player.

I found a niche when we got our first office PC. I decided I was going to become the resident expert and figure this sucker out! That's how I started to prove myself.

If you're not happy then I would start looking around for a better opportunity. It doesn't hurt to know what's out there. If you find something you think will be better for you then jump ship...but I wouldn't leave this place until you've secured a better position someplace else.

Good luck!!

I like the way you think :idea: I am actively searching for other jobs, but it's hard to hide my frustration here sometimes :rolleyes:

90 days is only just the beginning getting acclimated in a new enviornment. If you're really not happy and want to see what's out there, be prepared to explain to potential future employers why you are wanting to leave a brand new job so soon.

Best of luck with your decision! :flowers:

^ I agree with Pursegrrl - expect to be asked why you're leaving your first position so soon, and what you did to try to improve things. Consider talking to your manager at your current position - just explain that you thought the job would entail more challenging work, and while you're perfectly willing to do what the company requires of you, you're just wonder if or when your responsibilities will expand. S/he may be impressed by you stepping up and give you an opportunity to do something more challenging. Don't present it as "I'm unhappy here" just "I'm ready to do more".

But if you leave without making any effort to improve the situation at your current company, I suspect that may be something you'll have to explain in the future. I always ask candidates why they're leaving their current position, and if it's because of problems, what they've done to address them short of jumping ship - it's just part of finding out about the person's general problem-resolution skills.

Good luck - if your current company isn't thrilled to find out they've got someone who's ready to take on more responsibility, then I'm sure there's another company out there who will be...
flowers.gif

If you're not happy then I would start looking around for a better opportunity. It doesn't hurt to know what's out there. If you find something you think will be better for you then jump ship...but I wouldn't leave this place until you've secured a better position someplace else.

Good luck!!

Agree totally! never leave your work unless you have a secured job somewhere else!

Does anyone ever get the feeling that they are belittled at work? For example...do people treat you like you are incompetent? Or they give you meaningless, mindless work because they think that's all you're capable of?

I've been with this company for 3 months (my first job after college graduating with a degree in Environmental studies and a minor in urban and regional planning). I took this job with the understanding that I would be an environmental, health and safety consultant. Instead, I am copying and pasting reports, alphabetizing badges, scanning documents, and filling in spreadsheets. :hysteric: This is clearly a DATA MANAGEMENT job that was advertised to me as an environmental job!! I am not learning ANYTHING that can be contributed to my future career. Might I add that no one cares to talk to me, nevertheless TEACH me anything, even though I go out of my way to do/learn more!!

My question is - should I jump ship, or tough it out becuase all entry level positions are like this? I KNOW I want something better...something more...

Also, my heart is set on urban planning but it is VERY hard to get a position (working for the city...lots of red tape/testing/slowwww process). I just feel very discouraged because the last two urban planning positions I applied for I was SHOT DOWN. :crybaby: Maybe that IS all I am capable of....data entry...... :crybaby:

Consider it a test and a learning experience. If you can make it through a day where people at work are a**holes... then you'll grow a thick skin to it and that will definitely come in handy in your future.

no thats absoulutely not all what u are capable of dear!! :yes:
once my doctor at colleage said to us.. when u graduate.. take each and every work experience seriousely and never say it will not add to me. believe me i am sure it adds maybe not to ur major specifically.. but i am sure to your personality etc..

right.. so my advice is.. yes stick around there for a while.. and do apply for jobs and continue searching while working there. it wont harm to search.. and oprotunities (excuse my horrible spelling!! loool) will come along.. and wish you all sucess dear and finding your dream job s:huh::huh:oon :flowers:

I have been there, so I totally understand. My first job after college (a temp job) was in a bank, doing some of the most menial tasks ever thought of by man......it was unbearable at times.

But, I stuck with it, got a permanent position with them, stayed a couple of years, then moved to another bank for a better paying job with more job satisfaction and independence.

Somewhere down the line, I left finance completely behind, took my experiences with me, and got my current job making WAY more what I made at that first job, along with the increased responsibilities and challenges that go along with it.

So, it is frustrating, and certainly not what we expect after earning that degree, but learn all you can from the job, research the company on your own time, ask for more responsibility, and then knock 'em dead with your knowledge, abilities, and dedication. Also, network with the people at work, they could be contacts for your future endeavors.

And, if at the end of a year or so...if it's still not for you, well then you move on. At that time, no potential employer can say you don't stick it out by leaving too soon, and will be impressed by the additional responsibilities you took on.

^ I agree with Pursegrrl - expect to be asked why you're leaving your first position so soon, and what you did to try to improve things. Consider talking to your manager at your current position - just explain that you thought the job would entail more challenging work, and while you're perfectly willing to do what the company requires of you, you're just wonder if or when your responsibilities will expand. S/he may be impressed by you stepping up and give you an opportunity to do something more challenging. Don't present it as "I'm unhappy here" just "I'm ready to do more".

But if you leave without making any effort to improve the situation at your current company, I suspect that may be something you'll have to explain in the future. I always ask candidates why they're leaving their current position, and if it's because of problems, what they've done to address them short of jumping ship - it's just part of finding out about the person's general problem-resolution skills.

Good luck - if your current company isn't thrilled to find out they've got someone who's ready to take on more responsibility, then I'm sure there's another company out there who will be...
flowers.gif

ITA with LouiseyPeasey, Pursgrrl and LadyFran.

Kick butt at anything they ask you to do, be positive and helpful! Approach your manager with a positive attitude and express your desire to take on more and learn new things to be able to be able to contribute more to the company while applying your college knowledge in this field. You might want to discuss your goals - say, at 6 months, I'd really like to be doing ______ and at one year, I'd really like to be doing _______. Ask your manager if s/he thinks these are realistic...if yes, ask for specific tasks you can do, or for your manager's support to achieve them. If no, don't be crushed, but instead ask what specifically you need to do to achieve them and for your manager's opinion of a realistic timeline.

I've managed numerous new college grads and have had these types of discussions many times. I totally know where they're coming from; I was there myself, anxious to get "real" responsibilities, especially in my field of study. Looking back, though, I realize in my first job I was so not ready that now I'm grateful for the time doing menial stuff to observe, learn the deal and offer up my assistance to get more experience and exposure.

As a manager, I want to help the individuals on my team work toward and achieve their goals but experience takes time so I try to be as realistic as I can when discussing timelines and managing expectations. Many managers can assess when individuals are ready or are not to take on increased responsibilities. The best data point I can have, then, is the knowledge of their goals so I can help get them there.

If a new grad came to me and said, "redney I am SO SICK of (insert menial task) and I'm frustrated and bored and this is NOT what I signed up for" it would really show in my mind how much more time and coaching this person would need to be able to move up.

Good luck and keep us posted!:flowers:

I have a little story for you that will show you how working at the bottom and getting a feel of the company from the BOTTOM up will help...

I did not finish my last year at high school. (long story) When I was 26, I went back for my GED.
Never stepped a foot in a college.

I started working in a physician office as the "gofer".....and I "gofered" better than anyone they had ever seen! :yes: I would take the docs car and gas it up. He asked. Whatever they wanted me to do, I did. AND did it happily... at least on the surface.
They sent me for some quick "Medical Assistance" classes. I moved up to his personal MA.
After a year of that, I started working in the business office for him.
Three years later I was his Assistant Manager and five years after, his Office Administrator.
This was no small office. We had over 50 employee's when I left for an executive position in a large University.

I have been there for four years now.

I wish I had gone to college. BUT, I don't know if I would have done any better career wise if I would have.
I can actually go now for free, and have thought about it.

Don't give up. IF it's a company that you like, good benefits and room to grow, stick it out.

Show them what an asset you are.
You don't get the corner office without a little grunt work..

flowers.gif

Wow...that's great advice :yes: I will definitely take that to heart!!

I also want to thank everyone for their kind words and encouragement...:love: No one ever said being in the mid 20s would be so hard...I'm making career decisions, life decisions, relationship decisions...when only a few months ago I was in college and my biggest problem was what bag to buy next!!! :rolleyes: What a crazy world....!!

^^ IMO the transition from university life to professional life is one of the most dramatic changes we go through as adults. It's right up there with getting married, having children, retiring, etc.

We're with you, man!! Keep us posted on how it's going...