Feeling insulted at work...

luckycharm06

Old School Member
O.G.
Dec 2, 2005
Does anyone ever get the feeling that they are belittled at work? For example...do people treat you like you are incompetent? Or they give you meaningless, mindless work because they think that's all you're capable of?

I've been with this company for 3 months (my first job after college graduating with a degree in Environmental studies and a minor in urban and regional planning). I took this job with the understanding that I would be an environmental, health and safety consultant. Instead, I am copying and pasting reports, alphabetizing badges, scanning documents, and filling in spreadsheets. :hysteric: This is clearly a DATA MANAGEMENT job that was advertised to me as an environmental job!! I am not learning ANYTHING that can be contributed to my future career. Might I add that no one cares to talk to me, nevertheless TEACH me anything, even though I go out of my way to do/learn more!!

My question is - should I jump ship, or tough it out becuase all entry level positions are like this? I KNOW I want something better...something more...

Also, my heart is set on urban planning but it is VERY hard to get a position (working for the city...lots of red tape/testing/slowwww process). I just feel very discouraged because the last two urban planning positions I applied for I was SHOT DOWN. :crybaby: Maybe that IS all I am capable of....data entry...... :crybaby:

:flowers: Hang in there for a while I believe it's a little early to jump ship just test the water and ask for more tasks which are related to your job description and prove to them that you are a valuable asset to their company. It always tough being the rookie as they say.:flowers:

Yes, I think you should hang in there for a little while longer. when I first started work I made photocopies and bought coffee for at least the first month.....go watch the movie the devil wears prada...perhaps that will help a little....hehehehe

You should hang in longer. A lot of kids (myself included) with college degrees these days seem to think that we deserve much higher-level work than we actually get. However, a college degree is the new highschool diploma: practically everyone has one. We all basically have to pay our dues: I say stick it out.

It's all a part of being the newbie! It happens to everyone, those that are picking on your were obviously picked on at one time, so they feel superior dishing it out to you. Kind like like pledging a sorority. Don't let it get to go, brush it off and say, thank you with a smile! And ask if there is anything else you can do for them -throw them off guard!!!

hang in there.. i think they are checking how you work with the company.. as you said, you are new in the job.. it is possible that it is a test and if they feel you can be trusted, the job responsibilities will change accordingly..

Tough it out and try not to come across as if you're too good for the tasks you are given.

I suffered through several low level administrative jobs before finally getting a job that was challenging.

Having a degree is so overrated...having experience is much more valuable in the real world. My degree has done exactly squat for me in my business life. And my sister in law's masters degree (something environmental) has nothing to do with the work she actually does now.

Show that you're willing to do anything, that you're a hard worker and a smart thinker - a team player and a problem solver. That is what gets people's attention. But if you go around moping and thinking you "deserve" better it will turn people off and give you a bad reputation. :smile:

Hang in there unless it's a company with no room for advancement (like mine). I don't take $*@# from anyone here. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but if they're wrong then they're wrong. I don't back down. I can't move up really (small company) so I don't care as long as I get the job done and do things right.

If it was a company with room for advancement, I'd be biting my tongue all the time. Hang in there!

thanks for the advice ladies...I think it's just a hard pill to swallow since I turned down another job (entry level in my field, as well) that paid 20k more....because at the time, this seemed like a better "opportunity".

Oh, what a fool :girlsigh:

Tough it out and try not to come across as if you're too good for the tasks you are given.

I suffered through several low level administrative jobs before finally getting a job that was challenging.

Having a degree is so overrated...having experience is much more valuable in the real world. My degree has done exactly squat for me in my business life. And my sister in law's masters degree (something environmental) has nothing to do with the work she actually does now.

Show that you're willing to do anything, that you're a hard worker and a smart thinker - a team player and a problem solver. That is what gets people's attention. But if you go around moping and thinking you "deserve" better it will turn people off and give you a bad reputation. :smile:

I completely agree with being a team player...I try to be part of the "team" here...but I am just a "lowly contractor" at a HUGE company. Translation: I'm treated like the stepchild of Mother Corporation... :hysteric:

I completely agree with being a team player...I try to be part of the "team" here...but I am just a "lowly contractor" at a HUGE company. Translation: I'm treated like the stepchild of Mother Corporation... :hysteric:

LOL I know the feeling. Contractors are treated pretty badly in my company too...not badly...just different. :smile:

I also forgot to add...if it seems like the job will never become what it was advertised as...don't feel bad to leave! I got hired for a job that was advertised as one thing but was a completely different thing and I was miserable. Companies need to be up front and honest with a position so they get the right match.

Good luck!

YOu have to be willing to roll your sleeves up and be a team player; I am sure much of the "menial" tasks you are being given are testing your ability to follow orders, work with others, etc. Unfortunately, yes, many entry level jobs are like this and take time to prove yourself as the "newbie". Unfortunately, many of us have advanced degrees, and that is not a prerequisite for starting at the top...nothing beats hands on experience.

As a VP of a large healthcare consulting firm (who also has 26 years of hands on experience), I cannot tell you how many college grads I interview who feel that entry level positions are "beneath" them or dont want to do the work that comes along with added responsibilities.

This type situation has happened to me once in the past and I stuck it out for a while but eventually left. The thing is this. You are gaining experience working for a company, it may not be exactly what you want but on a resume or CV this won't look bad. On the other hand, if the job description isn't what you expected then I would start looking for another position and then when you secure that one then jump ship!

Ditto what others said, hang in there a lil longer.

I have a real example on how experience is much more valuable than a college degree. A friend of mine (who goes to the same HS as me) only did a year of college (the degree is called Diploma 1 over here). She went straight to work in advertising after that, changing a few firms in b/w. A few yrs later, she's in a much higher position in a quite well known adv firm with another friend of mine who just finished her Bachelor degree in adv.

If you're not happy then I would start looking around for a better opportunity. It doesn't hurt to know what's out there. If you find something you think will be better for you then jump ship...but I wouldn't leave this place until you've secured a better position someplace else.

Good luck!!