Favorite Living Artist

I agree with the factory part of Chihuly's "art". It was a letdown for me when I read how the pieces are produced. Most are spectacular, though.

I'm fascinated by Botero's work.

It's home town, but my favorite living artist is a Chicago woman that we've met and come to know. We own one oil, a water color, and some posters. Her name is Winifred (Winnie) Godfrey. She's best known for her luminous florals, but she also does Central American portraits that are stunning.

Every year my city has a art tour (kunsttour) and it's like a weekend of open house in all art related thing in Maastricht (museums, art galleries ect) and the local squats where artist live also has an open day, so they're totally unknown artist, but so far I've bought something for the same artist every year, now have 4 pieces, they never cost much but I always buy them cos I fall deeply in love with them! last year at the Landbouwbelang I bought 2 pieces from Shinto Jungschleger (he's part of a crew called "Napalmed" and someday soon he will be the "New" Herman Brood - for those for you who know who he is)

the "grave angel" paintings a pretty big and beautifully painted, they're hanging in my livingroom.
the smaller pink one was a gift that hangs in my downstairs toilet.
he also gave me a great painting of Bush as the Joker from a pack of cards, but I'm to lazy to go upstairs an take a pic.

edit: the pics are to big to post....
but here's a link:
http://www.napalmed.nl/?user=8

I love mark ryden's work. It is neat how illustrators are crossing over to the fine art sector.

I love Chihuly, and I understand that him having a factory produce his work could be a let down. From what I read he does designing and has a small hand in production. There is a fine line between artist and factory foreman. However, two of the greatest painters of all time had scores of apprentices that painted on a lot of their works, and you don't see their names on the bottom left corner.

Although, I did read the Chihuly is kind of jerk in person.