Favorite Living Artist

Blue824 said:
I used to love Chihuly... when he did his own work! The whole "factory" artist aspect bothers me...

I hear you. I think the problem with Chihuly is that his works have become so large/intricate that he just can't do the work all by himself. Its actually quite interesting to watch how he envisions his peices and how he directs his glassblowers to create all the components and bring them to life. I saw a bit about him on television where he demonstrated to the glassblowers in his shop how he wanted the peices they were helping him construct to look in terms of shape, texture and color. I appreciate that the vision is his, but that he needs "help" executing them. I also think Chihuly is not getting any younger and the physical work involved in glassblowing is pretty involved, so that may be a factor too.

Andres Serrano.

He did Piss Christ.

200px-Piss_Christ_by_Serrano_Andres_%281987%29.jpg

I like it BECAUSE it is so controversial. (And if you don't think about what exactly his medium is, that piece has this cool etherial glow to it.)

My mom does watercolors and she has a pass to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. Every once in awhile, we'll go to an exhibit there.

A tradition after the exhibit is to have lunch and then look in the gift shop. We usually split up and look at what interests us. Well, once in the midst of my browsing, I came upon my dad looking at a book of photographs by Mapplethorpe. I was looking at the book with him and all of a sudden we came to this picture we couldn't understand. We're staring at it, trying to figure out what it is. (Those of you familiar with his work probably know where this story is going.)

All of a sudden, my dad exclaims "Oh my God!" and slams the book shut. At that moment I realized what it was, too. It was an extreme closeup of a male's anatomy when it is . . . um . . . aroused.

Roo said:
I hear you. I think the problem with Chihuly is that his works have become so large/intricate that he just can't do the work all by himself. Its actually quite interesting to watch how he envisions his peices and how he directs his glassblowers to create all the components and bring them to life. I saw a bit about him on television where he demonstrated to the glassblowers in his shop how he wanted the peices they were helping him construct to look in terms of shape, texture and color. I appreciate that the vision is his, but that he needs "help" executing them. I also think Chihuly is not getting any younger and the physical work involved in glassblowing is pretty involved, so that may be a factor too.

Oh, I totally understand that. And there still is loads of talent, even if he's taught his workers to learn his style and his art to successfully execute pieces. He is very talented, as are his employees. And I realize it is a little hypocritical since most great artists had assistants and stuff. I also had to interact with him at an internship I formerly held... I guess I"m a little negative and biased from that too. I still really enjoy his work and the thought and effort that go into them, I just don't think most people realize that he actually does very little of the glasswork himself.

Helen Frankenthaler. Love, love, love her! She was very influenced by Pollack and is credited with founding the color block movement,

And this one is my all-time favorite. It's called Lush Spring and hangs in the Vice President's residence.