Everyday Use Of Your Birkin...

I have a magnificent raisin box 35cm and sadly I never use it. I agree with those ladies who say that it primarily a tote rather than a handbag. I tend to use the 30cm or a Kelly for a handbag.

Croissant - maybe it is because your bag is relatively new and hasn't broken in?
:shocked: maybe..i mean, i handle it with care so i'm not tough on it and so when i stick the turnknob into the square it only matches up perfectly when the straps are pulled in tight like the side of mk's bag here;
d35whgcs.jpg

its not a big deal but was wondering if some people have Birkins whose flap automatically closed right over the turnknob or if you have to push a little to get the square and turnknob to fit together.

:shocked: maybe..i mean, i handle it with care so i'm not tough on it and so when i stick the turnknob into the square it only matches up perfectly when the straps are pulled in tight like the side of mk's bag here;

its not a big deal but was wondering if some people have Birkins whose flap automatically closed right over the turnknob or if you have to push a little to get the square and turnknob to fit together.

Lots of pushing and pulling involved in my Birkins, Croissant.

Even with the Kelly, one has to tug just a little.

Lots of pushing and pulling involved in my Birkins, Croissant.

Even with the Kelly, one has to tug just a little.

thank you wong!!! :yahoo: haha im glad i dont have a defective bag! :graucho:
i was starting to think i was either making a super big deal out of this or that something was off. i just know not everyone [especially depending on leather] could have the flap with the square fit right over the turnknob without pulling in the straps and pulling down the flap a little.

I've been using a 35 Birkin nearly every day. Right now I am in the process of moving house and I have my bag stuffed with every imaginable thing--all the usual suspects plus jewelry I don't want to leave around, a big metal tape measure for checking things, keys to every cabinet, armoire, door etc, odd bits that may possibly fit onto something, files of information about the move, chargers for phone and camera, camera, etc. It's not too heavy, but I'm not walking around with it all day.

I love the versatility of leaving the top open, but having the option of strapping it up to keep the opening small.

I have become accustomed to not having a shoulder bag, but there are times when it would be useful. One disadvantage is that you can't hang it off the side of a chair when at a restaurant.

Off topic, and on topic at the same time....

Have any of you tried or considered a Kelly 35 instead of a Birkin 35?

The Kelly35 isn't as deep, it's 5 inches as opposed to the Birkin35 which is 7.

Makes a big difference in the bulkiness and.....with the strap you can carry it on the shoulder. If the Kelly is a soft leather you can also accesss it even when you lock both belts and leave the flap over and turn the key.

Just a thought.....as I always hesitated on buying a Birkin 35 for reasons of bulkiness and weight....

1. Is the 35cm-40cm comfortable to carry around?

I love my 35cms but they do get unwieldy if I'm out in the city for a full day and have additional bags to carry.

2. Do you ever wish you could carry the birkin as a shoulder bag...like if you're shopping or running errands do you ever feel like your birkin gets in the way?

Yes, although I've never tried it. I have other shoulder bags, but I always miss my Birkins when I leave them at home.

3. Is there anything about the Birkin that bothers you? Do you think it is easy or hard to find things like you car keys in the bag?

I use a Chameleon insert or a Bagmate and those work well. I don't like it when the sides flair out so I'm constantly tugging on my straps or pulling them through the guides and looping them on the turnkey.