Everyday Use Of Your Birkin...

Mar 25, 2006
Gosh, I hope I'm not getting redundent with these questions but I was just wondering for those of you who use your Birkin all the time...

1. Is the 35cm-40cm comfortable to carry around?

2. Do you ever wish you could carry the birkin as a shoulder bag...like if you're shopping or running errands do you ever feel like your birkin gets in the way?

3. Is there anything about the Birkin that bothers you? Do you think it is easy or hard to find things like you car keys in the bag?

I'm weighing all the pros and cons trying to get an idea if I would really like the Birkin or if I just want one because their so exclusive.

Thanks for any input!!!:yes:

. Is the 35cm-40cm comfortable to carry around? I carry the 35, and find it comfortable, but I don't stuff my bags to the brim.

2. Do you ever wish you could carry the birkin as a shoulder bag...like if you're shopping or running errands do you ever feel like your birkin gets in the way? If I'm going to be seriously running around, and can't take a hand-held bag, I take a Bolide or Kelly (or if I really need some space, a Garden Party)....I think, personally, a 35 is too bulky and can be too heavy (depending on leather and load) to be a shoulder bag, and besides, it was designed to be a more refined, hand-held bag, not a general tote.

3. Is there anything about the Birkin that bothers you? Do you think it is easy or hard to find things like you car keys in the bag? The only thing that bothers me (besides it's popularity) is if you keep the straps in the "keepers"on the front of the bag, and they slip, it can marr the straps. Hence, I don't ever put the starps in the keepers. That annoys me. I find it easy to find things in (but I am anally retentive), but I keep mine in the "top flap tucked inside, straps done up on the turnkey" mode.....when you close it everytime like the Kelly, it can be annoying. Somehow, I don't mind it with the Kelly, but I do mind it with a Birkin.

Have carried a Birkin most every day for years, with the exception of when I travel. I usually carry a Trim or Bolide when I travel, just for the shoulder option.
It is every easy to find items in a Birkin because it opens so wide.

I kindly differ with GF about the general tote thing. I think Mr. Dumas designed it for someone who carrries everything but the kitchen sink in her bag, as Jane Birkin was doing when he met her. I sometimes pack my 40, or 35, to the gills, like when going for pedicure and carrying flip flops, book, extra sweater, snack, water.
If you end up getting one just because they are exclusive, you will quickly see why they are so loved, whether used as a small piece of luggage or a lovely handbag.

I use it as an every day tote aswell (size 35)....I never close it, ( except when I'm in crowded places where there could be pick pockets) and I find it easy to find things inside.... The only negative side, for me, is the weight: I don't stuff mine for this reason, but nevertheless, if I'm out several hours with my Birkin it does become heavy.....

i love my 35 birkin and i carry it all the time but:
-if you fill it up it became really heavy(especially filled with documents)
-i always put my mobile and keys at the front-inside pocket so no problem to find them-never close the bag
-i have to give up to carry it if i run errands because i cant manage 5 bags in 1 hand plus pick up my cellphone and make notices in the same time:smile:

So all an all if it is the only bag you have to carry the whole day,i find it perfect and stylish to every outfit!

Haute, if you tuck in the top flap and latch the belts as so many of our ladies do and if the Birkin is made of one of the softer leathers you can generally access it pretty well from the top, yet have he security of having it "together" and neat at the same time....has been my experience.

Bag size is personal preference, I feel, rather than the "size & height of the wearer" meaning, how much do you carry? I've seen Petite ladies carry 35s or even a 40cm ( rarely, but they do ) and taller ladies carry 30s as well as the other way 'round.

The main complaint I have is actually finding things inside the bag. To me, the Kelly is much easier to access & find things than the Birkin. Some people solve this by using a purseket inside the bag. I tried this idea and it didn't work for me, tho.... I just didn't like having it lining my bag.....

All this said, tho I'm a Kelly girl..... I enjoy my ebene Birkin and also have a black Birkin on SO and am as excited as can be about it's future arrival!

1) Yes.

2) I can carry 35 & 40 on my arms. Skinny Arms, lol.

3) No except if the area is dark, i need a torchlight made 4 bags. they sell in LA, don't they?

Well, the only Birkin I have so far is a JPG one. It's a 42cm. LOVE the size as I always carry TONS with me. It's very comfy for me.

2. Do you ever wish you could carry the birkin as a shoulder bag...like if you're shopping or running errands do you ever feel like your birkin gets in the way?

My JPG IS a shoulder Birkin and I LOVE having this option.

3. Is there anything about the Birkin that bothers you? Do you think it is easy or hard to find things like you car keys in the bag?

So far, nothing bothers me about the bag. I hope I love it as much 10 years from now as I do now!:love:

I use35 birkins everyday and adore them i also have a jpg birkin which i do find a tad heavy! I love birkins but my slight complaint is that with 3 little people to look after i find they can be a little heavy but after saying that i just got a chanel cabas and cant face using it ! as its not a birkin !

1. I love both my 30's and find them both very comfortable. I tend to stuff more inside the Box Birkin because it's not as heavy as the Togo.

2. Well, sometimes I wish it had a shoulder strap but then if it did I might not use my other bags as much that DO! I LOVE having the choice.

3. Nothing about my 30's bother me. I can find everything very easily inside. My HAC is another story. It bothered me because it's more roomy inside (taller and wider) and everything slid around and wound up on top of each other and I couldn't ever find anything when I needed it. I solved this though with a bagmate that I use exclusively for this bag. Perfect!!!!! Now, I adore my HAC and use it much more than I did before the Bagmate!

Both my birkins are 35cm and I personally think it's the best size. It will get heavy if it load it too much, but it's fine for me.

I've seen pictures of women carrying it over the shoulder, but I can't. I'm fine going around town with mine running errands, shopping, etc. Actually, I think my birkin gives me better service most of the time!

The bag can get heavy and in regards to finding things inside, I use a purseket to organize my stuff and distribute the weight around the bag.

1. Is the 35cm-40cm comfortable to carry around? I carry one of mine every day and find for general shopping that it is very comfortable. Obviously if it is packed full of books or a laptop then it would be another story. I carry a wallet, sun glass box, card holder, make-up case, case for lipstick, check book, purse hanger, pens, glass fingernail file, tissues, wet wipes (small container), Ipod & earbuds, phone, gum for kids, Tide to Go stick & keys.

2. Do you ever wish you could carry the birkin as a shoulder bag...like if you're shopping or running errands do you ever feel like your birkin gets in the way? Rarely.

3. Is there anything about the Birkin that bothers you? Do you think it is easy or hard to find things like you car keys in the bag? I put a Chameleon Insert in my birkin and thus can find everything very easily. The only thing that bothers me is the popularity of the birkin and not being able to access one quicker.

I personally find the 35cm big & excessive as a ladies' bag, let alone the 40cm. The 35cm is quite heavy even when empty, so I am sure the 40cm is quite a ton.

I sometimes think that the 30cm is a tad too small too, and wish Hermes will start to make Birkins in 32cm sizes (not referring to the HACs)

That's why I have the JPG Shoulder Birkin for days I know I need a shoulder bag, and still want to remain classy.

Batwings. It is almost near to impossible to use the 30cm birkin with the flap tucked in, and straps secured to the turnkey (this is possible for 35cm and up). The opening will be so small and tight, it's ridiculous. So, I have to have the straps resting on the strap guides, and this can give some serious batwings for a softer leather.

It's easy to find my things in my 30cm Birkins, but I can't say the same for my 35cm Birkin. That said, this can be easily solved using a bag organiser like the bagmate.