Downton Abbey

Mmm

u.s. Publishers rush out books about edwardian and wartime britain to cash in on american success of downton abbey
by daniel bates

last updated at 5:45 pm on 12th january 2012

comments (0) share

it has already won the hearts of viewers in both britain and the u.s.

But now downton abbey is inspiring a resurgence in publishing in america with a wave of releases to cash in on the trend.

Dozens of 20th century novels about the british aristocracy are being promoted by new york-based publishers to capitalise on the tv series.
The downton abbey effect: New york publishing houses are rushing out books on edwardian britain to cash in on interest in the hit tv show
they are convinced that having devoured all of the episodes show so far, u.s. Viewers will turn to novels to get their downton fix.

More...the downton effect: Hit tv show pushes up prices of stately homes

books being rushed into print include memoirs from edwardian-era kitchen maids, historical dramas from world war i and even novels based on the sinking of the titanic.
Cashing in: A fresh paperback version of ford madox ford's war novel parade's end has been released
a fresh paperback version of ford madox ford's war novel parade's end has been released, and copies of the decline and fall of the british aristocracy by david cannadine have been flying off the shelves.
Among the others proving popular are love in a cold climate by nancy mitford, a 1949 novel about the english upper class.

So acute is the interest that book store owners say they have seen nothing like it since the 1970s - when the downton precursor upstairs downstairs was released.
Downton abbey has proved enormously popular in the u.s. Where the premiere of the second season last sunday drew 4.2million viewers on the pbs network.
In response some cases book stores have held their own screenings for the latest downton episodes.

Publishers have also taken to twitter to promote what they see is a chance to boost sales in the january lull.
Literary theme: Rose: My life in service to lady astor (left) from penguin usa and lady almina and the real downton abbey (right) has been published by crown

typical of the messages was one posted on the account for knopf which reads: 'love downton abbey?' may we suggest wade davis's into the silence - a book capturing the twilight of this elite'.

Reading list: Downton-inspired literature
new paperback edition of parade's end by ford madox ford ($19, knopf doubleday)

the decline and fall of the british aristocracy by david cannadine ($27, knopf doubleday)
love in a cold climate by nancy mitford ($14.95, knopf doubleday)
lady almina and the real downton abbey: The lost legacy of highclere castle by the countess of carnarvon ($15.99, crown)

a bitter truth by charles todd ($24.99, harpercollins)

rose: My life in service to lady astor by rosina harrison ($15, penguin usa)

stephen morrison, the editor in chief and associate publisher of penguin books, said: 'we're just riding that downton abbey wave.

'i think the story lends itself to great television but it is also the themes of great literary writing, with all the twists and turns in the characters.'

stan hynds, a book buyer for the northshire bookstore in manchester center, vermont, added: 'it's a great opportunity to build some sales.

'we're trying to push books on the british aristocracy, the titanic and world war i as well.'

among the other novels which are being pushed to coincide with the series are lady almina and the real downton abbey: The lost legacy of highclere castle by the countess of carnarvon.

Another is a bitter truth by charles todd about world war i, and maid's memoir rose: My life in service to lady astor by rosina harrison.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ican-success-downton-abbey.html#ixzz1jgtttgll

Thanks for the tip! I can do that with box series ... literally I can watch 10 episode in a day!

ha, I meant it less as a tip and more as a warning. don't expect to do anything productive, you won't be able to stop once you start :biggrin:

(although, I consider getting lost in a day's worth of downton abbey to be very productive and valuable day!)

I saw the first two episodes at my boss' house just before Christmas and I was hooked.
So hooked that I got my mum onto it and we ended up watching the entire series (Seasons 1 & 2 and the Christmas Special) over a period of three days. We were up until 3am on Christmas Night (Boxing Day morning) absolutely riveted to to the computer screen. "One more, okay? and then we HAVE to go to bed" she kept saying.
I think it starts again in Britain in September, is that correct? Does this mean PBS will have it after that date?
If anyone is interested, I noticed last night that iTunes has the entire season available to download for $14.99 (HD) and $9.99 for standard definition.
Totally worth it, I think.

So glad I saw this thread. I had forgotten that season 2 was starting this month. I just watched the first episode of the new season on PBS.com. I watched the first season on dvd last summer. Love this show.

Hubs and I watched season 1 on Netflix over two days, it was soooo good and addictive! We just watched the first 2 eps of Season Two on AppleTV. I soooo love this show! Maggie Smith's character is my absolute favorite!!

Question: did the Christmas special air on Christmas of 2011, or does it happen at the end of season 2? If it was 2011, then how do I get my hands on this episode??? I can't find it anywhere online!

^^You could find a stream of it online for a while, but they've all been removed before PBS started season 2. It happens at the after the end of season 2, I had heard that it will be played here by PBS sometime in March, so my guess is that it will be available after it has been aired.

Hubs and I watched season 1 on Netflix over two days, it was soooo good and addictive! We just watched the first 2 eps of Season Two on AppleTV. I soooo love this show! Maggie Smith's character is my absolute favorite!!

Question: did the Christmas special air on Christmas of 2011, or does it happen at the end of season 2? If it was 2011, then how do I get my hands on this episode??? I can't find it anywhere online!

What is the Christmas special. Was it a recap of everything that happened?

I just started watching season 1 and have some catching up to do.

KristyDarling said:

I couldn't wait so I watched season 2 and the Christmas special. I just aired this christmas so it's at the end of season 2. It's very good! PM me and I'll let you know how to find it online.