Television and Cinema

Downton Abbey

flwrgirl Posted By flwrgirl Posted Aug 30, 2011

1. Thanks for the reminder. I've been avoiding the spoilers on UK Daily mail too!

2. FYI, you can buy the season 2 blu-ray from amazon.co.uk, and watch it all without waiting. :ninja: You may need a region free blu-ray.

3. aww I had forgotten how much I love mr. bates and ana together :love:

the best line of the night was: "edith, you're a lady, not toad of toad hall!"

I feel spoiled for getting two hours worth tonight.

4. What did Bates' wife say to make him leave? I went to raid the refrigerator (these British shows don't seem to believe in commercial breaks :p), and when I came back he was mad as hell at the woman, but I couldn't figure out why. Then Lord Crawley was mad when Bates spoke to him about leaving, and I still didn't understand why.

5. lady, don't you have a dvr with a pause button?? it's 2012!! ;)

ok, let me see if I can remember this correctly... I'll put this in spoiler tags in case people haven't watched yet.

bates' wife learned of the rumor about the diplomat dying in Mary's bed and her maid helping to disguise it (or however that story happened, they moved his body, right?...). bates' wife basically blackmailed him, that if he didn't leave with her she would reveal the story (I forgot to whom she said but she did say). so he had to go, both to protect the whole family's honor and ana's.

lord crawley wasn't told by Bates why he was leaving, hence him being super mad. if I remember correctly from the first season, the lord doesn't even know the mary story, right? which is why Carson wouldn't give him the details when he was explaining that what Bates did was honorable?

6. I thought Sybil would end up with the blind troop, but I guess not.

7. I just finished watching the first episode... how did I not know about this show!

I will probably watch season one tomorrow... luckily, I don't really have anything planned.

I think I have a crush on Mr. Bates :love:

8. that's how I fell in love. I watched season one in one fell swoop just about this time last year. you won't be able to stop until you get to the last episode, I promise.

9. Ha! You sound like my best friend whenever I say that I have to catch a show streaming on the Internet.

Thanks for the recap! That was a crucial part I missed, obviously. I re-watched season one yesterday, and it seems that Thomas was the one to help the ball rolling on that rumor. He wrote to a valet friend of his in London and told about the Turkish diplomat dying at the castle. Then he and O'Brien kind of forced the story out of Daisy after she had a spell in Mary's room (because she'd seen them removing the Turk from there). O'Brien told Edith (and we know how much Edith loves Mary), who first spoke with Daisy about the matter then who wrote to the Turkish ambassador about what Daisy had told her.

I think the Countess is the only parent who knows the truth about what happened to the diplomat.

Thanks again!

10. Did anyone catch the christmas special?

:santawave:

Love this show, and all shows that take place in the days when men were gentlemen and women wore pretty dresses all the time :love:

11. I admit, I watched the Christmas special online, before watching season 2. A bit like reading the last chapter...but I didn't want to invest the time if things weren't going to work out. Love the show. Still left lots for season 3.

12. Glad to see some tPF fans of Downton Abbey - I thought I was the only one! :biggrin:

13. where are you guys streaming this show?

FYI I don't do Netflix.

14. I'm watching it on the PBS website... http://www.pbs.org

15. ^^^Last I looked they just had clips. Thanks will have to check it out.

Interesting article about the outfits.