Dooney Alto Club: Let's see your Alto Collections Ladies

I have an alto in chestnut and it definitely got stained and scratched - very visible! But I think it's gorgeous and I don't baby mine at all. I enjoy the patina process! But the color hasn't really changed/darkened yet.

The "patina process"! Forgot about that -- own them and use them long enough and they get really cool looking over time, like an old vintage leather briefcase.
The natural color is in the small "zip zip" style. There is a larger "Viola" (14.5" at base) in a gorgeous siena color, a small "Stefania" in wine and a saddle color "Elizabetta" only with an interior fabric zip pocket dividing the middle and the closure is a lock instead of the slide (both adding to weight.) I've been traveling and now need to put my stuff in these, see how heavy they get and how easy things are to access and figure this out. I feel like I'm going bag crazy because I've never seen them in there before and the prices of course are much better compared to what Dooney charges for the same or nearly the same bags. (There was a D&B logo Stefania in one store in Olive and the price was nearly double of what the same Boldrini bag in wine was just because of the D&B name!) I've never owned any of the above styles either, so kind of a crap shoot but at least not a $500+ one!

The "patina process"! Forgot about that -- own them and use them long enough and they get really cool looking over time, like an old vintage leather briefcase.
The natural color is in the small "zip zip" style. There is a larger "Viola" (14.5" at base) in a gorgeous siena color, a small "Stefania" in wine and a saddle color "Elizabetta" only with an interior fabric zip pocket dividing the middle and the closure is a lock instead of the slide (both adding to weight.) I've been traveling and now need to put my stuff in these, see how heavy they get and how easy things are to access and figure this out. I feel like I'm going bag crazy because I've never seen them in there before and the prices of course are much better compared to what Dooney charges for the same or nearly the same bags. (There was a D&B logo Stefania in one store in Olive and the price was nearly double of what the same Boldrini bag in wine was just because of the D&B name!) I've never owned any of the above styles either, so kind of a crap shoot but at least not a $500+ one!
First criteria for me in deciding whether to keep each bag would be does the style work for me. If not, no point keeping it no matter how good a price. If the style works, either for every day or 'dress' (that would be used/needed), than it's a question of how much I like the bag, the color, and the price. It's easier to buy a less practical bag for $125 than it is to pay $375 for the same bag. Invest your $ in fewer bags you think you will use and love.

In my experience Alto bags tend to be lighter weight.... but sometimes the design isn't as practical....that depends upon your preferences. Do you like open top or closed top bags? Do you need interior pockets or do you use pouches or purse organizers? What about handles/straps and how do you carry the handbag? Some of the handles attachments on Alto styles
just seem strange to me and not easy to grab and carry. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.
And Alto leather does scratch, so if that bothers you, as it bothers me, than you will be tempted to baby your bags and use them less frequently. Are you ok with that? I am, but that's why I have too many handbags.

Don't talk yourself into something. I love the Alto leather and would be tempted to keep each and every bag, regardless of whether I thought it was a good 'fit' for me. :smile: Makes no sense even as I type it. Hope you can make decisions to keep those bags that you truly love. They all sound tempting.

First criteria for me in deciding whether to keep each bag would be does the style work for me. If not, no point keeping it no matter how good a price. If the style works, either for every day or 'dress' (that would be used/needed), than it's a question of how much I like the bag, the color, and the price. It's easier to buy a less practical bag for $125 than it is to pay $375 for the same bag. Invest your $ in fewer bags you think you will use and love.

In my experience Alto bags tend to be lighter weight.... but sometimes the design isn't as practical....that depends upon your preferences. Do you like open top or closed top bags? Do you need interior pockets or do you use pouches or purse organizers? What about handles/straps and how do you carry the handbag? Some of the handles attachments on Alto styles
just seem strange to me and not easy to grab and carry. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.
And Alto leather does scratch, so if that bothers you, as it bothers me, than you will be tempted to baby your bags and use them less frequently. Are you ok with that? I am, but that's why I have too many handbags.

Don't talk yourself into something. I love the Alto leather and would be tempted to keep each and every bag, regardless of whether I thought it was a good 'fit' for me. :smile: Makes no sense even as I type it. Hope you can make decisions to keep those bags that you truly love. They all sound tempting.

Haha!! Your last line hit the nerve! Tempted to keep them all regardless, I love the Alto line, and yes, makes no sense! I'm going to play with them today and figure this out. I have wayyyyy too many bags and need to be realistic, but I'll figure it out once I get my stuff in there and see. I usually use a purse organizer but with the smallest of these bags, I would just carry the essentials, maybe not a bad thing as I have a back issue and am conscious of the weight I carry. I also keep trying to remember, if I buy a new one, that's time away from another in my closet that I can't use, so I better like the new one or dump some of the others! Thanks so much for your great post.

23760DB3-FFE5-45C1-A4E1-4A1A21451F8A.jpeg I have three Alto bags and one wallet and love them. Here is my small Camilla in black that I am using today. I am not typically a small bag person but this holds everything I typically carry and has an optional crossbody strap which I really like.

I am a HUGE handbag snob and was happy to find this Italian line from D&B Italia. I purchased my first Louis Vuitton handbag when I was 18 and now three decades later still love and collect luxury handbags. It is hard once you go high-end to purchase anything less (I hate to admit that as I know handbags are not a necessity. They are only something for enjoyment). My point is that although I have many LV, Gucci, Chanel, and Hermes bags and small leather goods in my handbag collection, I still reach for my Alto handbags often. I love the “box” feel to the leather and how the knicks and marks make the bag look well loved and more vintage. The black Alto leather is so rich looking and I have no qualms about putting my black Chanel wallets inside.

You cannot go wrong with Alto. ❤️❤️❤️

View attachment 4268194 I have three Alto bags and one wallet and love them. Here is my small Camilla in black that I am using today. I am not typically a small bag person but this holds everything I typically carry and has an optional crossbody strap which I really like.

I am a HUGE handbag snob and was happy to find this Italian line from D&B Italia. I purchased my first Louis Vuitton handbag when I was 18 and now three decades later still love and collect luxury handbags. It is hard once you go high-end to purchase anything less (I hate to admit that as I know handbags are not a necessity. They are only something for enjoyment). My point is that although I have many LV, Gucci, Chanel, and Hermes bags and small leather goods in my handbag collection, I still reach for my Alto handbags often. I love the “box” feel to the leather and how the knicks and marks make the bag look well loved and more vintage. The black Alto leather is so rich looking and I have no qualms about putting my black Chanel wallets inside.

Glad you love your Alto's. I agree, the Dooney Alto line is a treasure.

Reactions: all2joy
I love the Alto Collection! My style is Classic and having an Alto on my arm is my Signature Look. My eye is on this Alto Eloisa:

5ddb78c04ddafe8bbdab47f828782109.jpg

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
View attachment 4268194 I have three Alto bags and one wallet and love them. Here is my small Camilla in black that I am using today. I am not typically a small bag person but this holds everything I typically carry and has an optional crossbody strap which I really like.

I totally agree; thank you for sharing! The Dooney alto line is an incredible value for those who can't or won't spend $1000+ on a handbag. Every time I bring mine out, I'm so happy and pleased. The leather still smells amazing. I too look forward to seeing how mine ages after decades of use! Between mine and my mom's collection (which I regularly steal from, LOL!), we have plenty of bags that range from Dooney to Hermes, and the alto is up there with our premier bags in terms of quality!

BTW, Dooney just posted a photo of the Camilla on IG and so many people comemmented saying it's their dream bag, so I guess everyone's in agreement that it's a winner!

@Elisa4217, very classy and classic look. Thanks for posting! Additionally, I’m so glad to see someone else enjoys mixing their name brands - the wallet coordinates beautifully. I carried a Dooney bag while shopping at Macys & when I pulled out a Frye wallet (that visually matched to the bag), you would have thought I had punched the sales clerk in the stomach. She was of the mindset that accessories absolutely HAD to match in name. I just don’t get that.

Reactions: bellebellebelle19