Books & Music Do you preserve magazines like books, or do you throw them away like newspapers?

toobabyish

Jan 12, 2008
I subscribe to a few magazines (Vogue, Glamour, Cosmopolitan, W) and my DBF said that I'm cluttering our bookshelf (more like MY bookshelf because he doesn't have a book or a magazine on there) with all of my magazines... Do any of you girls keep your magazines for a long time? When is a good time to put them in the recycling bin?

TIA! :smile:

I dismember them. No kidding. I take out the pages with articles and looks I like and file them in a huge binder. The rest goes for recycling. Declutters the house and really, how often you pick up a year old magazine?

I keep very few. I have an assortment from the months our children were born so they can see what was current when they were born. Those, however, are packed away with their baby things.

I've also kept some issues that were historically important to me... Columbine (we live less than five miles from the school and knew kids in the cafeteria that day) and 9-11. Again, put away... I hate clutter!

I also have about five Vanity Fair and InStyle magazines that have great covers. Again, those are tucked away in my purse closet. I use them, sometimes, when I need a "base" for a bag. It makes me smile to open a bag and see Angelina Jolie looking like a 60s Bombshell!

I agree about having an historically relevant issue or two of a magazine or newspaper, but I also have those safely preserved and I own fewer than 5 of them. If there is something in an issue that really interests me, I will clip the article and then dispose of the magazine. I often keep one issue until I get the next, or toss it as soon as I've read it and have taken any information I wanted from it.

IMO, magazines are heavy, take up a lot of storage space, and are rarely ever looked at again by anyone. I see no purpose in keeping them.

I only tend to keep magazines that I'm in. At some point I might have to actually just start clipping the pages of me and recycling the rest but I will decide that once my keepsake box starts to overflow. I don't want to end up on an episode of hoarders!
All the others eventually end up in the recycling once I have read them and it's been passed around to my mom and sister. Our high school also takes fashion magazines for the fashion classes to use so if I have a lot of them laying around I donate them otherwise if it's one or two it just gets recycled.

I've kept old issues of Vogue, Vanity Fair, Food and Wine, Bazaar, and Lucky. I plan on doing some spring cleaning, and I'll likely recycle everything else except for Vogue. Those will stay in their holders on my bookshelf. I have issues that date back to 1999, and I won't be getting rid of them any time soon.

I keep architecture magazines if ther e are interestening articlesinside.....If a whole issue is dedicated to a topic which is interestening ill keep it , For fasion magazines I normally just rip of the article and keepit

I will tear out pages and keep them every now and then if there's something I find particularly interesting or inspiring but that's it. Magazines I've read get passed on to family and friends which makes me feel like I'm being somewhat green.

I think I'm just going to take a couple hours of my time one day to flip through them and see which articles I like. (I was thinking about keeping all of my Vogue September issues though :P) I'll probably keep the magazines within a 12 month period - for example, when I reach April 2012, I'll throw away April 2011.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice! :smile:

I've kept every single issue of Saveur, a culinary magazine. I just love all the stories and it's pretty timeless information, because it is stories about culture and food.

My New York magazine I'll keep maybe a year, then toss. I go thru all the crosswords first.
All my housekeeping and fashion mags get tossed after a month or two, except the mega issues, I keep those until the next mega issue.

It got out of hand a few years ago, I had several years of fashion magazines and I just had to make the decision to purge every one of them. It wasn't really hard, but I do miss having access to them, plus they were the costly UK editions (I'm in US)

Depends on the Magazine...

When I was younger, I kept every horse magazine I obtained. Especially ones that featured horses I personally met or worked with. At one point I think I had 300+ issues of various Horse & Arabian magazines. But when I sold off all of my tack and equestrian training stuff, I sold off my books and magazines as well.

Glamour, vogue and such I usually cut apart for collage and decorating penpal & swap packages.

I usually keep my Japanese fashion magazines like EGG, Ranzuki, Nuts, Jelly and such. Or I resell them. But I think I'll probably start cutting them apart for collage as well.

My Korean magazines will be cut apart for collage.

I do take out certain articles and such and file them in a binder like MrsBradley. But mostly these are articles from Living, Southern Living, Southern Lady and Victoria.

The only permanent additions I have are a few Japanese fashion magazines that I'm in from when I modeled as a kid. My mother would kill me if I tossed them or cut them up.