Did South Park Go To Far ?

oh dear, this is difficult. i'm 100% for the freedom of the press (well seeing as i'm from one of the countries with the highest freedom of press index in the world i would be wouldn't i? ) but it's a little too soon.. but if the episode went like caitlin said about satan saying it was too soon i don't see the big deal really :confused1:

they poke fun at EVERYONE. Have you seen how they portray Sally Struthers, John Edwards, Tom Cruise, Oprah? They poke fun at everyone, and because someone died, doesn't mean they can't be made fun of anymore.

Basically, the part of Steve appearing, is Satan thought someone was dressed up at Steve, and told them it was too soon to do it. Steve replied back that it's really him.

Obviously they do poke fun at everyone. Sometimes it's funny, a lot of times it isn't. There's a part where respect comes in, it's just how things are. A lot of people who have died are still talked about. But this was such a tragic death, and he was such a good person, I don't understand how it is funny, especially with the whole satan aspect of it of which many people(including myself) interpreted that with a different overall message. I wonder how his wife and child feels......

I Actually laughed when I saw the pic of cartoon steve with the stingray on him in the paper but I totally changed my mind when I saw his daughter today in floods of tears. I would not take this episode too seriously, I think the makers just want to cause controversy with this episode and we are boosting the ratings.
I do agree this allison on this one, Im a fan of this show and if you watch other episodes then this isnt all that bad but it is bad for his family and I too would be upset. I hope I dont offend anyone with my comment, I really dont mean too and I apologise if I do. :flowers:

but I totally changed my mind when I saw his daughter today in floods of tears. I would not take this episode too seriously, I think the makers just want to cause controversy with this episode and we are boosting the ratings.

That is just heartbreaking hearing that his daughter was crying. I didn't hear about that. So sad.
Also, that's an excellent point. They probably are just trying to boost their ratings.

I don't watch a lot of primetime TV, but I love South Park on the whole and watch it everyday if I can and I'm home. It is probably the only show (well the daily show too) my husband and I watch regularly. It is very witty and funny if you can read between the lines of what they are trying to parody. WRT the Steve Irwin thing, I don't know, I don't hold that much emotional attachment to things I watch on TV let alone a cartoon designed to be a parody of events. I mostly don't watch shows that parody the devil in any fashion so I didn't watch this one too closely because I don't find the devil character to be funny, but that Steve Irwin or Biggie Smalls was on it meant very little in terms of keeping me tuned to it or untuned. The devil ruined it for me. IMO.

The great thing about South Park? It's on a cable channel....one that people have to pay for....so thankfully the FCC isn't going nuts over it.
I personally love South Park....I think it's a hilarious show. Was I offended about the Steve Irwin thing? Not really...it's just humor...
Was it a little soon? Maybe....I honestly didn't think they could produce the show that quickly so I think that actually surprised me more.

Allison: I don't think there is anything wrong with your hubby dressing like that all!

Also if he look at it in this sense, that nurse has her conjoined twin hanging off the side of her and its still a darn baby...did that offend anyone ?. The whole Steve Irwin was for publicity, If steve had not died and it was a normal man or woman with a stingray hanging from him/her (and nothing real had happened like this), we would be laughing. So its just for the extra cash the makers will get, lets face it, these days south park is old news (even though I still like it)...think about how many more people will watch this episode ;)

It's in poor taste, but that's just what South Park does. The entire show is in poor taste. In that same episode Catholic priests were leading naked young boys around on leashes. The show is meant to horrify and shock. The show always tries to go too far & to shock the audience. They do horrible stuff like this all the time, it's what the show is about. I'm a fan of South Park, although it's past its hey day, in my opinion.

Twiggers- In one of the DVD extras, Matt and Trey said it takes them about a week to make a show. That's why they can address current events so quickly. They had a fake Lacy Peterson episode about two weeks after she was killed. That's why they haven't moved on too a higher form of animation.

Also if he look at it in this sense, that nurse has her conjoined twin hanging off the side of her and its still a darn baby...did that offend anyone ?. The whole Steve Irwin was for publicity, If steve had not died and it was a normal man or woman with a stingray hanging from him/her (and nothing real had happened like this), we would be laughing. So its just for the extra cash the makers will get, lets face it, these days south park is old news (even though I still like it)...think about how many more people will watch this episode ;)

:yes: I agree, if Irwin hadn't been famous this would not be an issue. If he was Joe Nobody everyone be laughing at it. :rolleyes: I find it hypocrital and sad we put we celebs, more so dead one, on such a high level.

I saw this episode and wasn't offended at all. It's only a cartoon, right? I enjoy the show in the spirit in which it is written---tasteless and vulgar but mighty damn funny! There are plenty of other shows on the tube that are equally if not more "offensive". I simply choose not to watch them.