Did South Park Go To Far ?

1. I don't know about the rest of you, I'm not a fan of this show, but i was surprised & saddened at the lack of decency in this particular story line.

That's my opinion what's yours?

Oh my god, South Park mocks Irwin

27th October 2006

[​IMG] Bad taste? Steve Irwin at Satan's Hallowe'en party

The creators of South Park have never been afraid to upset celebrities - and many of the show's viewers.

From jokes about religion and homosexuality to four-letter tirades, Trey Parker and Matt Stone have always mixed shock tactics with satire in the hit cartoon series.

But they were accused of hitting a new low last night after lampooning the demise of Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin just weeks after his death.
    The latest episode shows an animated Irwin in Hell with a stingray poking out of his bleeding chest.

Irwin, 44, died in September after he was impaled by a stingray's barb, while snorkelling near the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.
    The South Park episode called Hell On Earth 2006, which was broadcast in the US this week, shows Satan preparing to host a Hallowe'en fancy dress party.

Hundreds of dead celebrities are invited, including rapper Notorious B.I.G., Princess Diana and Hitler.

But at the party Satan receives complaints from his guests that someone is inappropriately dressed up as Irwin.
    Satan confronts Irwin but the Aussie environmentalist protests it is really him, not a guest in a costume.

While characters have been killed off in the series before – spawning the show's catchphrase "Oh my god, they killed Kenny!" – campaigners are particularly incensed about the stingray still being attached to Irwin's bloodstained trademark khaki shirt.
    British broadcasting watchdog Mediawatch condemned the episode as "grossly insensitive."

Its director, John Beyer, said: "I think this is in bad taste. Steve Irwin's family are still grieving."

"To lampoon somebody's death like that is unacceptable and so soon after the event is grossly insensitive. It is not what the family would want to see." South Park maker Comedy Central defended the episode. A spokesman said: "It has offended people in the past and probably will again. Regular watchers would not be shocked."

2. In very bad taste, as was the kiosk in the mall that was selling t-shirts that said Steve Irwin Zero- Stingray One...

As my DH and I walked by and saw that I made sure to point it out to the guy " That is so not cool".. he looks at me and shrugs his shoulder...PFFT!!

3. They were selling T-Shirts with that on there?!! Ugh, that is in very bad taste. It's like back when I was still in high school, on Halloween's day two ppl dressed up as O.J. Simpson and Nicole Brown Simpson respectively and the guy was holding a knife and a cardboard bronco while the girl dressed as Nicole was all bloody:yucky:

4. I think that is in very bad taste. It's not funny at all!:crybaby:

5. there are some really sick people in this world. can you imagine how his family feels after seeing something like that?

6. I do watch it sometimes, but agree, it is not funny at all to make fun of dead people...

7. That's disgusting. What a shame......

8. My god..that's really mean :'(
    I hope his wife doesn't hear of this :/ cause that's just hurtful.
    I hate people like this, no respect for others at all...

9. That's what I was thinking too !

10. How sad, I don't watch that show, but that's very bad taste. How horrible.

11. That's taking it way to far I think

12. Yuck.

13. I'm familiar with the show, and I decided to watch the episode in question.

After having watched the episode on Youtube, I realized the article made it seem like the entire episode is about making fun of Steve Irwin and his death.

It wasn't like that at all. In the episode, Satan wants to throw a big, extravagant, celebrity filled My Super Sweet 16 Like party.

Yes, Steve Irwin is at the party, and yes, there's an exchange over the costume but it goes like this:

Satan's minion: Satan we have ha problem, one of the guests has turned up in a crocodile hunter costume, and it's really offending some of the other guests!
    Satan: Oh jeez. Erm, er dude the whole crocodile hunter thing, it's just not cool. He like only died a few weeks ago! You're gonna have to go.
    Steve Irwin: But Satan it's me Steve Irwin I am the crocodile hunter!
    Satan: Oh, oh. Then no costume, man you gotta leave!
    Steve Irwin: (Being dragged away) Wait no! i thought we were friends.

That's it.

There was a part where Satan wants an actual sized, Ferrari shaped cake to bring out at midnight at the party. He sends up Ted Bundy, Jeffery Dahmer, and John Wayne Gacy up to earth to the bakery to pick it up. They wind up killing the chefs and have to make the cake themselves.
    The whole thing being a takeoff of The Three Stooges - The Three Murderes. The killing of the chefs are graphic and I feel those are more offensive than the Steve Irwin part.

But I could see how people would think mentioning anything about Steve Irwin might be a bit too soon.

14. WARNING: RANT (may not be a popular one either!)

I am sooo not a fan of this show. Nothing is sacred to these guys. Everything is a big joke to them. Anyone here knows I have a pretty good sense of humor but this show can be very disgusting. Its juvenile and encourages people to be disrespectful. Its right up there with the same mentality that goes along with graphic, hack em up video games. Why is "blood and guts", "poo poo, pee pee" humor entertainment? Yet people are apalled to see genocide and war on the news? Its the dumbing down of society IMO. What gets me is that the show's staff probably also jump on bandwagons for peace and love and sensitivity.

Thanks for letting me vent.:hysteric:

15. That is just terrible! It is not even funny. Everyone is still upset about his loss.