Confronting a Fake...

Personally, I think you were a little harsh but I understand your thinking. It is hard to see a knock off of a bag that you own and payed $$$$ money for when the person with the knock off probably paid $. In the future, I just wouldn't say anything. YOU know that you have the real thing and as Megs said, some people honestly don't know about fakes, whats involved in making them, etc.

I know some of us (me included) feel very stongly about fakes but ladies, please don't flame Skittles. She's only taking up for her brand. I really don't think she meant any harm to the point of being delibrately rude and hurt the girls feelings. Again, just defending her brand.

As much as I dislike fakes, Im not about to call someone out in public for owning one. I think they're wrong and I don't agree, but to go up to a perfect stranger and say something like that is pretty inappropriate. It isn't going to change her mind and it really made you look bad, not her.

Again, just defending her brand.

I really do understand that, but unless someone else knows the horrible conditions in which fakes are made, what purpose does calling out a complete strange serve?

Trust me, I understand where it comes from and as much as I've thought all the same things in my head, doing it just makes you look bad. I don't know. I just don't feel it's my place to say something like that to a complete stranger who hasn't done anything other than carry a bag I don't approve of.

Yes, but she has reponded to the opinions with class and dignity and she should be acknowledged for this.

Yes, skittle, you have been very classy in your responses to what's been said and very humble. You seem to be a passionate sort of person who got carried away. My dh is very much that way and it's usually myself who has to remind him to temper his passions! I on the other hand can get too wishy-washy and he brings out the fire in me! Passionate people who use it in the right way are the ones who change the world for the better!

Skittle16, I can understand how you must have felt when you saw this girl and her fake bag. It is obvious that you crossed a line when you called her out publicly on it. I would suggest that in the future you keep your thoughts to yourself for the sake of your personal safety. You never know what sort of a person you're saying a comment like that to and what their reaction might be. I'm glad to see you've already figured it out on your own.

By the tone of some of the posts here, you probably felt attacked by some of the members. I don't agree with posting answers like that, but I'm sure that now you know how that girl in the bar felt when you embarrassed her.

I don't think you're self-righteous. Just overreacted. It happens.:yes:

Personally, I think you were a little harsh but I understand your thinking. It is hard to see a knock off of a bag that you own and payed $$$$ money for when the person with the knock off probably paid $. In the future, I just wouldn't say anything. YOU know that you have the real thing and as Megs said, some people honestly don't know about fakes, whats involved in making them, etc.

I know some of us (me included) feel very stongly about fakes but ladies, please don't flame Skittles. She's only taking up for her brand. I really don't think she meant any harm to the point of being delibrately rude and hurt the girls feelings. Again, just defending her brand.

Well said!:smile:

I have learned a good deal from all the posts to this tread. I got some nice comments and some harsh ones (esp the one about my bf leaving me for it; ??), but I felt last night that was simply karma; I put something nasty out there to a chick whom didn't deserve my sensitivity [insensitivity] to the situation dropped on her, and I got it back. But that's why I asked what I did and came to this forum for it.
Thank you for the ppl who have been very kind; setting me straight, giving me perspective, and putting things in context, but nicely.
I think I've learned the most by how overly athoratative some ppl were in their responses, but again, that simply showed me how I was being overly athoratative to the girl w/ the fake. I am sensative to designers and "defending my brand" which I hold near-and-dear for several personal reasons, and I don't believe in supporting the illeagal practices in ANY realm of enterprise, which is why I'm selective about whom I shop from and where they buy from. But I've learned that having these sensitivites does not allow me a place to speak to another person in a rude mannor about their choices.

I look forward to happier and more celebratory threads to post-to and start. Thank yall for all the interest and opinions.

You know what - I am happy that she has seen the error in her ways bcuzz in this day and age ppl are crazy (road rage, etc). Learn from this and be happy she didnt pull a REAL pistol outta that FAKE bag. You couldnt get away w/that around these parts. I see plenty fake bags on a daily basis but am not compelled to point it out to the owner. And if you aren't the creative rep for that particular company -I don't see the reason to explain a fashion faux pas to an unsuspecting offender.

You are probably the first person to ever rise above negativity thrown at you! What a classy gal you are and an asset to this forum. Its not like anyone else in here has ever put their foot in their mouth (myself included!) Looking forward to seeing you more on the forum!
:flowers: peace, love and bobby sherman!

I have learned a good deal from all the posts to this tread. I got some nice comments and some harsh ones (esp the one about my bf leaving me for it; ??), but I felt last night that was simply karma; I put something nasty out there to a chick whom didn't deserve my sensitivity [insensitivity] to the situation dropped on her, and I got it back. But that's why I asked what I did and came to this forum for it.
Thank you for the ppl who have been very kind; setting me straight, giving me perspective, and putting things in context, but nicely.
I think I've learned the most by how overly athoratative some ppl were in their responses, but again, that simply showed me how I was being overly athoratative to the girl w/ the fake. I am sensative to designers and "defending my brand" which I hold near-and-dear for several personal reasons, and I don't believe in supporting the illeagal practices in ANY realm of enterprise, which is why I'm selective about whom I shop from and where they buy from. But I've learned that having these sensitivites does not allow me a place to speak to another person in a rude mannor about their choices.

I look forward to happier and more celebratory threads to post-to and start. Thank yall for all the interest and opinions.

You are probably the first person to ever rise above negativity thrown at you! What a classy gal you are and an asset to this forum. Its not like anyone else in here has ever put their foot in their mouth (myself included!) Looking forward to seeing you more on the forum!
:flowers: peace, love and bobby sherman!

I agree, she rose above some brutal feedback and still remained intact and calm. Kudos to you! Ok, off to google Bobby Sherman.:hrmm:

Skittle's bf here, and totally amazed at all the pasion and emotion put forth here. Trust me, Skittle has nothing to fear from me reacting negatively to her actions that started this whole thread. I too was a bit taken aback when the event ocurred, but the pasion she demonstrated then is what I've come to expect from her in a lot of other contexts and I love it (although the idea of a bar rumble was not tops on my list of fun things to do that evening).

I am totally amazed by some of the posts on this thread (it is the only thread I've ever read here). From now on, I will pay even more attention to the bags I see and will watch with caution if there seems to be an outing in the offing. :amuse: And btw, I will keep skittles close by to keep her out of it.:smartass: