Classic White Shirt

Thank you @Vanilla Bean for starting this - also on the lookout for good white shirts.I tried Uniqlo linen but the quality just isn’t there. Dior looks wonderful but is too expensive to be a serious contender - let me know if anyone has it .

Attachments

• F58652F4-108E-47A6-8638-CD8FB786699A.jpeg
    F58652F4-108E-47A6-8638-CD8FB786699A.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Vanilla Bean
Consider the California-based company Frank & Eileen. They have many body styles ranging from fitted to oversized to one-size fits all, many lengths and many fabrics to choose from for a great white shirt.

Another company to consider is Anne Fontaine, a French company.

As @MillStream mentioned, Anne Fontaine for fancy-very fancy white shirts. Her business is built around them. I have a lovely dress from them, always great quality, but I'd say on the strongly feminine aesthetic.

If I want a reasonably priced classic RTW white shirt, I go for 100% cotton or linen men's brand like Charles Tyrwhitt (lower-price) or Turnbull & Asser (higher-price). Especially a dress shirt for cufflinks. I realise that not all women can fit into men's styles easily or like the buttons to do up on the 'wrong' way round.

Vogue did a feature last year, but these things are just done for clicks and commission affiliate links. I don't think you have to go for designer. Having said that some of my favourite shirts are Gucci and Prada. I'd check out FarFetch or N-A-P, you can see what's on offer across brands with just a word search.

I love white shirts and tried several brands....so far I like my Maria de la Orden, Totême, and for cheaper Arket is ok. I am now going to buy the french brand Figaret (Maison Figaret).
I like poplin, and no matter what will avoid linen it´s creases too much and I look messy in it.

I like Anne Fontaine as well - but was rather shocked at how many of her designs are in synthetics. I really can't tolerate synthetic fabric any more, it's so nice for the skin to breathe.
Has anyone tried bespoke services - nothing too expensive. What do you think of this? https://www.hockerty.uk/en-uk/ I know its menswear but lets face the best shirts are made for men.

I’ve tried bespoke and men’s shirts:
Borelli; turnbull are both nice.

I also really like charvet , but I have not yet tried MtM or bespoke. They carry a women’s RTW shirt line. DH loves charvet MtM

Strongly recommend men’s shirting, even jf you need to have it darted, in terms of quality and price. I’m not crazy about cheaper men’s MtM options bc the fabrics are not as nice, but I haven’t really tried them.

I used to wear Ann Fontaine. I still like their structured vest/halter tops, but it’s no longer really my style.

ETA: forgot about white shirts with a bit of stretch: theory, Wolford, and years ago, dolce, etc. a different breed of shirt. If you like a lighter, less crispy, but more body hugging shirt, that might be a good option. Button placement is probably better for these shirts, but I think gaps are still an issue

Last edited:
I second @880 with Charvet, although I’ve only had bespoke.

Also Huntsman-I think I’ve pictured this somewhere else, but my favourite white shirt was made by Sean O’Flynn, Huntsman’s shirtmaker (years ago, I don’t have it anymore), using Millenium Star shirting.

Attachments

• IMG_0685.jpeg
    IMG_0685.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Thanks
Reactions: 880