Care of your Hayden Harnett

Hey Stormy!

First off, I'm super impressed with your advanced leather knowledge--super handy for know-nothings like me!!

I recently purchased the Havana Hobo in Goldrush and I know you've said that we need to leave the metallics alone but so far I've been too scared to take her out of the dustbag. Should I expect constant flaking or will it be minimal at most?? I love it so much I can't bear to be afraid of taking her out and about! Thanks in advance!:smile:
Thanks ! :blush: I haven't heard any flaky Goldrush reports. It's a different metallic from say, Pilot's type. What is normal to expect is a little 'wear' around the edges. With regular use, some metallic finish may rub off and reveal plain leather. The color should not be noticeably different, it just won't shine there. Why don't you post the question in http://forum.purseblog.com/hayden-harnett/the-history-of-hayden-harnett-havana-331770.html and see what others say. My opinion is, go ahead and rock your Goldrush ! I have just ordered some flexible acrylic leather finish to play with over metallics to see if I can produce a real protective layer. I'll keep you posted.:peace:

Stormy ~

Forgive me if this has already been asked, I haven't had a chance to read through this entire thread yet.

Is there anything I can do about the flaking on my Violet Metallic Pilot? I know I can't get another one and I'm afraid to use it because of this.

Any suggestions?

^^

I love the metallic violet and was at one point contemplating at getting the mercer in it. Since the flaking has occurred in my Pilot, I won't be getting another one. Wish HH would make this color in the metallic leather like anthracite, which has no flaking at all.

OK, HEADS UP. I have described metallics in great detail but will recap.
All metallics are not created equally. There are different kinds.
A reflective foil can be 'ironed on', a metallic 'paint' can be applied, OR a top finish layer can be impregnated with mineral and/or pearl dust.
If any one of the sensitive steps involved in the finishing is flawed, the entire metallic finish is defective. Foils are the most vunerable to mistakes, but done properly, are just fine. Painted metallics can also flake if optimal conditions are not provided, either during or after manufacture (as overly dry storage) where the paint 'shrinks' awway from the leather, losing adherence.
Finally, impregnated with mineral or pearl ~ These may wear at the edges,(see Goldrrush explanation in previous post.) I can now suggest a product with confidence, to be used sparingly at heavy wear areas ( For edges and bottoms, straps and around zippers) ONLY. It will not alter the look or feel of the leather; it will merely add a little protection. I did use it on flaking metallic; it stopped the flaking and sealed the leather ! I experimented with several products before concluding that one of them is superior to the others. I will add that I used a silver acrylic paint dabbed on the 'raw' spots, after brushing off the flakies. This paint can be mixed with colors to match, if you like. I can do a series of before and after pictures if anyone is interested.
Please forgive my time away while conducting my tests; I wanted to provide a clear response because I always promise first hand information.

From my hands to yours,
Stormy

Last edited:
Cross-posted with permission from Stormy Heart:

We
heart.gif
our
smile.gif
Havanas ! Maybe the secret to Havana's popularity is The SMILE !

To expedite the break-in ~~ Warm the flap in your hands and roll it tightly in the direction you want it to lie. Squeeze and hold. Repeat until it obeys.This takes little time; you can do it while you watch the News !
Store flat with flaps in 'open' postion in a flannel pillowcase (HH bags are too short)
You can do this with any bag !
*Thanks, J*
(If anyone thinks this is useful for our "Care of" thread, please copy it there.)

Hi Stormy-

Thank you for sharing your vast knowledge with us. :smile:

Is it silly to spray my bag with a leather protector even though it's been used? I'm new to the wonderful world of HH and I want to make my bag last as long as possible.

Thanks.

Hi Stormy-

Thank you for sharing your vast knowledge with us. :smile:

Is it silly to spray my bag with a leather protector even though it's been used? I'm new to the wonderful world of HH and I want to make my bag last as long as possible.

Thanks.
You're welcome SnS ! Which bag/color do you have, and is it nice and clean ?

Hi Stormy-

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I was away from home.

I don't know where the spots are from, they were there when I purchased the bag. Anyway, here's a pic. I've drawn a circle around some of the spots; they were kind of hard to capture in the picture but are more obvious in person.

Thanks. I really :heart: this bag and want to take good care of it. Please let me know what I should do. Thank you very very much.

Attachments

• purse 002.JPG
    purse 002.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 226
Hey SnS,
If it's a smudge, try a regular white pencil eraser on the spots gently, then a damp cloth with a tiny bit of vegetable glycerine face soap (like neutrogena, pears or Dr Bronners). If it's SCUFFED to a point where the leather finish is abraded, do NOT use an eraser. From the picture it looks smudged, but your fingertip can feel abrasions, a barely roughened, less silky feel.
Be careful with lotion leather cleansers, some may contain ingredients that darken light leather. Your glazed bag doesn't need a conditioner/protectant but if you'd like to make it appear smoother/more supple, it's perfectly OK; especially on areas that have been cleaned. I like the way Lexol buffs up.
Do NOT use a spray product on glazed leather. It would dull the finish, and can't penetrate to do any good. This is where the lotions are much nicer.
That's such a pretty bag !

Hey SnS,
If it's a smudge, try a regular white pencil eraser on the spots gently, then a damp cloth with a tiny bit of vegetable glycerine face soap (like neutrogena, pears or Dr Bronners). If it's SCUFFED to a point where the leather finish is abraded, do NOT use an eraser. From the picture it looks smudged, but your fingertip can feel abrasions, a barely roughened, less silky feel.
Be careful with lotion leather cleansers, some may contain ingredients that darken light leather. Your glazed bag doesn't need a conditioner/protectant but if you'd like to make it appear smoother/more supple, it's perfectly OK; especially on areas that have been cleaned. I like the way Lexol buffs up.
Do NOT use a spray product on glazed leather. It would dull the finish, and can't penetrate to do any good. This is where the lotions are much nicer.
That's such a pretty bag !

Thank you so much. I'll follow your directions regarding the smudges and go ahead and order the Lexol cleaner and conditioner. You are absolutely awesome. :yes:

Last edited:
Dear Stormy,

The waxy-ish coating on the edges of my oyster Lorca have turned canary yellow in various places. There is a canary yellow glob of what looks to be glue sticking out (dried) from under a hoop of the strap. I also have found more yellow on the edge of a zipper pull on the front of the bag.

To avoid monkeying around with it I spoke to HH and sent it back for cleaning/repair since this was something that I noticed with in a few days of obtaining her. I got it back the other week (they sent it overseas), and it is in EXACTLY the same condition as when I sent her out!

HH has now offered to exchange her for a ruby or yam Lorca... but I LOVE the oyster colour and would prefer to remove the yellow. I also do not want to mess up the bag if I end up sending it back.

Please help Stormy - I would like to get back to HH asap with my final decision.

Thanks!
:heart: A.