Cara Delevingne

Cara Delevingne's Elaborate, Sprawling Met Gala Tattoo Was Fake - When Rihanna saw it, "she lost her mind"

When Cara Delevingne wanted to put temporary cherry blossom tattoos all over her body for the 2015 Met Gala, she turned to Keith "Bang Bang" McCurdy to do the job. McCurdy, whose nickname comes from a pair of revolvers inked on his neck, is a self-taught tattoo artist who owns and runs Bang Bang Tattoos in New York City. (Celebs like Cara, Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Justin Bieber have him on speed dial.) Cosmopolitan.com spoke to the artist to find out exactly how he created Cara's striking body art, how he got his start as a tattoo artist, and if he's ever messed up on a celebrity's tattoo.

Whose idea was it to do the cherry blossoms?
It was all Cara's idea — she gets full credit. But it was funny, yesterday Cara and Stella McCartney [who dressed Cara] were arguing back and forth about whose idea it really was: Cara's or Stella's. Stella kept saying, "I'm so glad I thought of this!" Both of them say it was their own idea.

It was born out of the theme for the gala [China: Through the Looking Glass], but I didn't want to go too crazy with subject matter. I wanted it to be a delicate, subtle homage to the theme. We used cherry blossoms and added birds to balance the amount of branches we put on her. I think it turned out amazing.

Walk me through the process of applying it to Cara.
I'll start by saying this is something I've never done before and I don't have any experience in doing, but the process wasn't much different than how I go about tattooing. Instead of using a tattoo gun, I used four markers. I still had to blend the colors, but I was able to do it a little quicker and little less painfully.

You used markers? That's insane.
Yeah, we didn't use anything fancy and it looks like there are more colors, but there's trickery in the eye. I did a lot of marker testing when I knew we were going to do this job, so that I'd know the speed I had to do it at. I don't want to name the marker company I used but they're the kind you can get at your local art store. Normally, temporary tattoos are painted on with pigments, but I wanted to try something new.

Before we applied it to her skin in the morning at my store, my team and I removed the oils from her chest and arms with some alcohol, which keeps the marker from bleeding. We had her sitting on a table in her bra so we could see where we were applying the artwork, and then just started applying the designs to her skin. In the afternoon, we moved to the hotel where Cara was set to get her hair and makeup done and finished the rest there. It was crazy, at one point there were, like, six of us working on her at once — it was pretty surreal. I had a makeup artist with me who applied a clear sealant (Temptu Pro Airbrush Clear Matte Sealer) over the artwork to lock it into the skin, and then Cara walked out the door. Her tattoos should last up to 10 days.

Wow, that's a long time. How long did the whole process take?
By the time we started to the time we were finished, 11 hours had passed. But, we weren't working on her the entire time. What I can tell you is we started in the morning and finished as she was walking out.

What did you think of the finished product?
It was a really bold fashion statement for someone to cover their body in temporary artwork. She looked incredible wearing it. I've been trying to build a bridge between fashion and tattooing for a few years now, and I feel like I'm coming a lot closer, especially with what happened yesterday. It was really, really special because this is the first time people saw tattoo as part of an outfit, which is cool.

Attachments

• landscape-1430854020-gty-cara-delevinge-02-150505.jpg
    landscape-1430854020-gty-cara-delevinge-02-150505.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 653
  • gallery-1430858019-gty-cara-delevingne-150505.jpg
    gallery-1430858019-gty-cara-delevingne-150505.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 652
Cara Delevingne's Elaborate, Sprawling Met Gala Tattoo Was Fake - When Rihanna saw it, "she lost her mind"

When Cara Delevingne wanted to put temporary cherry blossom tattoos all over her body for the 2015 Met Gala, she turned to Keith "Bang Bang" McCurdy to do the job. McCurdy, whose nickname comes from a pair of revolvers inked on his neck, is a self-taught tattoo artist who owns and runs Bang Bang Tattoos in New York City. (Celebs like Cara, Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Justin Bieber have him on speed dial.) Cosmopolitan.com spoke to the artist to find out exactly how he created Cara's striking body art, how he got his start as a tattoo artist, and if he's ever messed up on a celebrity's tattoo.

Whose idea was it to do the cherry blossoms?
It was all Cara's idea — she gets full credit. But it was funny, yesterday Cara and Stella McCartney [who dressed Cara] were arguing back and forth about whose idea it really was: Cara's or Stella's. Stella kept saying, "I'm so glad I thought of this!" Both of them say it was their own idea.

It was born out of the theme for the gala [China: Through the Looking Glass], but I didn't want to go too crazy with subject matter. I wanted it to be a delicate, subtle homage to the theme. We used cherry blossoms and added birds to balance the amount of branches we put on her. I think it turned out amazing.

Walk me through the process of applying it to Cara.
I'll start by saying this is something I've never done before and I don't have any experience in doing, but the process wasn't much different than how I go about tattooing. Instead of using a tattoo gun, I used four markers. I still had to blend the colors, but I was able to do it a little quicker and little less painfully.

You used markers? That's insane.
Yeah, we didn't use anything fancy and it looks like there are more colors, but there's trickery in the eye. I did a lot of marker testing when I knew we were going to do this job, so that I'd know the speed I had to do it at. I don't want to name the marker company I used but they're the kind you can get at your local art store. Normally, temporary tattoos are painted on with pigments, but I wanted to try something new.

Before we applied it to her skin in the morning at my store, my team and I removed the oils from her chest and arms with some alcohol, which keeps the marker from bleeding. We had her sitting on a table in her bra so we could see where we were applying the artwork, and then just started applying the designs to her skin. In the afternoon, we moved to the hotel where Cara was set to get her hair and makeup done and finished the rest there. It was crazy, at one point there were, like, six of us working on her at once — it was pretty surreal. I had a makeup artist with me who applied a clear sealant (Temptu Pro Airbrush Clear Matte Sealer) over the artwork to lock it into the skin, and then Cara walked out the door. Her tattoos should last up to 10 days.

Wow, that's a long time. How long did the whole process take?
By the time we started to the time we were finished, 11 hours had passed. But, we weren't working on her the entire time. What I can tell you is we started in the morning and finished as she was walking out.

What did you think of the finished product?
It was a really bold fashion statement for someone to cover their body in temporary artwork. She looked incredible wearing it. I've been trying to build a bridge between fashion and tattooing for a few years now, and I feel like I'm coming a lot closer, especially with what happened yesterday. It was really, really special because this is the first time people saw tattoo as part of an outfit, which is cool.

Those fake tats looks gorgeous. Beautiful art work.

Cara Delevingne to Star in Luc Besson's Valerian

Cara Delevingne's star continues to rise.

The 22-year-old model-actress will star opposite Dane DeHaan n Luc Besson's upcoming Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Besson broke the news just minutes ago during his Twitter debut. His first tweet announced he's makinig the movie with the second tweet revealing the casting. The movie will begin shooting in December with a release of the film in 2017.

Delevingne will next be seen on the big screen in July with the release of Paper Towns, an adaptation of John Green's coming-of-age novel of the same name.

She's currently shooting the star-studded Suicide Squad. She plays Enchantress in the upcoming superhero movie based on the DC comic book series.

tumblr_noavyy9GoX1rj4ktlo1_500.jpg

Cara Delevingne at de Grisogono’s Cannes Bash at the Hôtel du Cap-Eden Roc

(photos are taken from Vogue and Daily Mail)

Attachments

• cara-fawaz.jpg
    cara-fawaz.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 488
  • 28DF5ED400000578-3088466-image-m-3_1432069719824.jpg
    28DF5ED400000578-3088466-image-m-3_1432069719824.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 487
  • 28E0504300000578-3088466-image-a-238_1432082884062.jpg
    28E0504300000578-3088466-image-a-238_1432082884062.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:

Attachments