Buying a New Puppy Online???

Shorkie is essentially a cross between a Shih Tzu and Yorkshire Terrier. It's not a purebreed so shorkies come in all colors, shapes and sizes.

It's given a special name to represent a "designer" dog so that its more easily sold online.

Hmm... This is a hotly debated topic, I see.
Well, here's what I think...
The original poster's question was "Does anyone have any advice for buying a puppy online from a breeder?". She also stated that she's basically just trying to protect herself from being scammed.
Pretty much the first up to bat were the people who think that getting a dog from anywhere but a shelter or a rescue makes you a bad person, an enabler of bad breeders. She was not asking you if she should go to a shelter or buy online, she asked if anyone had advice on buying from a breeder.
I'm all for encouraging people to adopt from shelters rather than buy, depending on the situation. And if you feel the need to tell someone why they should buy from a shelter, you need to do it gently and don't judge if the person doesn't end up going that way. At least you tried.
When you go on a tirade about how bad puppy mills are and try to guilt a person into adopting, a lot of the time, you're likely just scaring them away. I've found that many "animal activists" tend to be overbearing people who don't want to listen to why a person wants to buy a certain breed and would rather just blow up on them.
Like I said, express your opinion, but take into consideration that some people are set on a certain breed, and sometimes a certain breeder. Theres no need to get frustrated and start going off on them *cough* heartnaspade *cough* Just understand that your opinions are being taken into consideration, though they may not be what a person bases their final decision on.

Okay, as for dogs being difficult to adopt from a shelter? I can't say if they are or not. From what I've heard from my husband, who adopted our dog, it was a very easy process, they practically threw a dog at him. Although, each shelter could be different. This shelter was in Baltimore, so I can imagine they have to take a lot of dogs off the streets since it's a city.
What I find to be more difficult is working with a private rescue to adopt a dog or puppy. Oftentimes they will set all kinds of restrictions, some of which, I think, are pretty unfair and cause puppies to grow up in foster homes, lowering their chances of being adopted as they get older. Unfair to the dog and unfair to the potential adopter. Things such as, live in an apartment? Nope. Don't have a fenced yard? Nope. Aren't home all day every day? Nope.
It's just my opinion that in comparison to actual shelters, rescues can be much more difficult to adopt from. ANYWAYS

Back to the poster, and other people who have voiced their opinions in this post only to get chewed out by other posters...
OP... It's your decision. If this is the dog you want, then good luck, I hope it all turned out alright, and I sincerely hope that the place you bought the dog from was a good one.
Other posters who's opinions have been met unkindly... To each his own.
And for those saying that a "shorkie" is not a breed, you're right it's not a proper recognized breed. It is however a living animal, and how much easier is it to say "Shorkie" than "Shih Tzu - Yorkie crossbreed". Honestly, they're not fooling anyone. We all know it's a mutt.
And for those saying, "WTF is a shorkie?:confused1:" I just told you. I guess we'll never know if it was ignorance or suprise.

(come get some...) :wlae:

leothelnss I swear you hit the nail right on the head.I hope some of the posters understand my question I had in my previous post.

I hope the original poster has found her baby.

I found a 3 mos boy Yorkie an hour away from where I live.The breeders home was huge and she invited me to got anywhere I liked and so I did so I had peace of mind seeing the mom and dad plus pups way of life.She only had 3 left,the one I got another boy and a girl.I swear the three looked like bear cubs.I chose my baby cause he was so laid back and just wanted to cuddle.The other two were so hyper to me.I'm glad I made my choice cause he still has the same demeanor.He is learning fast and with the exception of a little accident here and there potty training is a breeze.He just barked for the first time yesterday I was so surprised.

Anyway I hope my little story helps someone out whether is searching online or in person.I was feeling like how the original poster was.I am so glad I was patient.:tup:

Hmm... This is a hotly debated topic, I see.
Well, here's what I think...
The original poster's question was "Does anyone have any advice for buying a puppy online from a breeder?". She also stated that she's basically just trying to protect herself from being scammed.
Pretty much the first up to bat were the people who think that getting a dog from anywhere but a shelter or a rescue makes you a bad person, an enabler of bad breeders. She was not asking you if she should go to a shelter or buy online, she asked if anyone had advice on buying from a breeder.
I'm all for encouraging people to adopt from shelters rather than buy, depending on the situation. And if you feel the need to tell someone why they should buy from a shelter, you need to do it gently and don't judge if the person doesn't end up going that way. At least you tried.
When you go on a tirade about how bad puppy mills are and try to guilt a person into adopting, a lot of the time, you're likely just scaring them away. I've found that many "animal activists" tend to be overbearing people who don't want to listen to why a person wants to buy a certain breed and would rather just blow up on them.
Like I said, express your opinion, but take into consideration that some people are set on a certain breed, and sometimes a certain breeder. Theres no need to get frustrated and start going off on them *cough* heartnaspade *cough* Just understand that your opinions are being taken into consideration, though they may not be what a person bases their final decision on.

Okay, as for dogs being difficult to adopt from a shelter? I can't say if they are or not. From what I've heard from my husband, who adopted our dog, it was a very easy process, they practically threw a dog at him. Although, each shelter could be different. This shelter was in Baltimore, so I can imagine they have to take a lot of dogs off the streets since it's a city.
What I find to be more difficult is working with a private rescue to adopt a dog or puppy. Oftentimes they will set all kinds of restrictions, some of which, I think, are pretty unfair and cause puppies to grow up in foster homes, lowering their chances of being adopted as they get older. Unfair to the dog and unfair to the potential adopter. Things such as, live in an apartment? Nope. Don't have a fenced yard? Nope. Aren't home all day every day? Nope.
It's just my opinion that in comparison to actual shelters, rescues can be much more difficult to adopt from. ANYWAYS

Back to the poster, and other people who have voiced their opinions in this post only to get chewed out by other posters...
OP... It's your decision. If this is the dog you want, then good luck, I hope it all turned out alright, and I sincerely hope that the place you bought the dog from was a good one.
Other posters who's opinions have been met unkindly... To each his own.
And for those saying that a "shorkie" is not a breed, you're right it's not a proper recognized breed. It is however a living animal, and how much easier is it to say "Shorkie" than "Shih Tzu - Yorkie crossbreed". Honestly, they're not fooling anyone. We all know it's a mutt.
And for those saying, "WTF is a shorkie?:confused1:" I just told you. I guess we'll never know if it was ignorance or suprise.

(come get some...) :wlae:

I am passionate about animal rescue and animal protection and I would like to add to this discussion.

I will only adopt rescue or shelter dogs because so many good and deserving animals are put down each year due to overbreeding. There just aren’t enough homes for all of the animals being born/bred and mismanagement by people. Many shelters require adoption processes to ensure that these dogs get a good home. I’ve worked with rescue groups and it is amazing how many dogs end up back at shelters because they weren’t placed with the right family.

That said, many people do desire a certain breed and I can understand that decision. If a person wants a purebred, then it is critical to go to a reputable breeder that cares about the animals and ensuring that the parents are healthy. There are so many unscrupulous people out there that want to take advantage of the high prices paid for purebreds or other “designer” breeds. The puppy mills exist all over the country, and puppies advertised online more often than not come from these places. The dogs live in absolutely deplorable conditions and are usually malnourished. I have recently rescued two dogs that came were rescued from puppy mills. These wonderful dogs were no less deserving than other dogs of a good home, but I did not buy them from the breeder. By buying from a puppy mill source, we are only supporting the mistreatment of these animals.

Another option for those people looking for specific breeds is breed-specific rescue organizations (pug rescues, boxer rescues, etc.). While people may think that they can only get an older dog from dog rescue, there are many puppies available that were once in puppy mills or from owners that didn’t get their dog spayed before it became pregnant. These are great animals and are usually checked out with a vet by the rescue organization prior to adoption and also get the benefit of some early training.

I, like many people here, just want to inform others about the adoption options and to warn about puppy mills. Hopefully, by sharing this information, we can all help prevent the mistreatment of animals.

i truly hate these types of discussions! these are just over-priced mutts, bred by unethical people, to make a quick buck at the expense of your pocketbook, but more importantly, at the expense of the animals being bred and the puppies being born. you can save a life and get the same damn dog at the pound or from a rescue group.

in this day & age....i have no idea why people continue to buy from pet stores/etc. EVERYONE knows they come from puppy mills!! if you say you dont know that, then you are just a bloody idiot and dont deserve any pet.

among other things - -
- no reputable breeder that cares about the quality of the breed would ever sell to a pet store, broker, online, or any other method other that directly to the owner. likewise, there is no real reason to breed a dog unless it is done to improve its line. most good breeders will not even ship a dog; you have to come pick it up in person!

- a quality breeder will ask YOU as many questions, if not more, than you should ask them! they should make sure you are up for the challenge and responsibility of owning a dog. a quality breeder will not sell a pup to just anyone, but to a home that it suitable for the breed and the pup in question.

- you should always be able to view the mother and make sure the living conditions of the female and pups is clean and odor-free.

- you should do your research and find a breed that fits your lifestyle and not just buy one because its cute. further, you should pick the right dog within the breed that has the temperment that fits your lifestyle. a good breeder will help you pick the right pup from the litter than is best suited for you.

- if buying a purebred dog, the breeder should be a member in good standing with the local and/or national breed club; have champions in its liniage; and provide you will vet records.

- a quality breeder will certify that the dog is free of breed-specific health issues. and will take the dog back at any time you are unable to care for it and help you re-home the dog.

if you or the breeder are unable/unwilling to do these things, then you are buying from an UNETHICAL puppy mill or backyard breeder and should run screaming in the other direction!

if you dont want to research the breed, check references, visit the breeder and see the mother, then adopt an animal from the pound and save its life!!!

and for pete's sake....if you are buying off the internet....its from a freakin puppy mill!!

I wanted to voice my opinion.I am in the same boat as the person who posted this thread but I haven't even found a breeder yet.I think I'm going to go safe as possible and just go through one of the breeders listed on the AKC site when one comes available.I have been looking for a Yorkshire Terrier but couldn't figure out if I wanted to get it shipped but at the same time I would like to see the mom and dad surroundings etc.....What does baffle me is why when you express interest in wanting a certain breed people persuade a person to go to a shelter?More than likely they aren't going to have a full breed pup.I'm not trying to start an argument but I don't understand this when its a specific breed you want.I agree with everyone when I say don't get a Shorkie though.Thats just wrong to cross breed an animal.

The shelters near me get purebreds all the time.One of them had a litter of Purebred Yorkie pups a few weeks ago. But I agree with you about going through the AKC website, when I decide to get my Doxie I will probably look into a really good breeder from there.

I had dogs that were very rare in the US and were super hard to find in my area. I had to rely on internet searches and word of mouth referrals but I finally found a reputable breeder who ended up establishing a relationship with me online because we didnt have a choice. The breed I chose is giant and by the time it was old enough to be flown, it was WAY too big. I am originally from the south and was going home to visit my family so they held the dog for me til she was 14 weeks old. They sent photos nearly daily ofher playing, sleeping, peeing the floor and all her antics. All the things a momma wants to know! lol... and I mailed her things with our scent and presents often so that she wouldnt be so shocked when we showed up to take her from her family (her parents lived on the premises). The people were operating out of their home on a large farm- having one litter a year, with their prize-winning pair of show/working dogs with blood lines to impress even a king himself. They lived in a FABULOUS palatial home and were super stringent about ME meeting all their guidelines and I had to sign many pages of contracts. Once we got there and met our babies' parents we were so impressed by how huge and extremely well behaved and loveable they were. They didnt want us to leave and the male (daddy) tried to get in the car with us cause we were taking the puppy.

I probably lucked up in finding them and not getting scammed, but it IS possible for find someone who isnt a puppy mill for the dog you want.

On the other hand, I wanted a Neapolitan Mastiff and found a local breeder thru online sites. I drove two hours to get there and it was a SHACK of a house with hundreds of dog kennels outside. Two story ones that were filthy and tiny! There were two of each breed of dogs which was SOOO a puppy mill. Either that or they were preparing to board Noah's Ark!!? It was the most hideous thing I'd ever seen and I wanted to bring every single puppy home with me. Honestly, we tried to walk in the shack of a house to see the baby Nea Mastiffs they had housed in there where they lived- and it smelled SO bad and was so smoky from cigarettes that we could only stand in the doorway and have them bring the filthy pups to us. She tried to hand me one but it was so dirty and smelly I wanted to gag. And I am not usually even the "dont get me dirty" type! They were charging TWO THOUSAND dollars for each Nea Mastiff. NO THANKS! It was probably so inbred it wouldnt have been able to walk. UGH!
They said they do ship a lot of puppies and were located near an airport for that very reason. They said the toy breeds were there best sellers. Obviously cause they are very easy to pop on a plane without having to visit the kennel there. I feel sorry for anyone receiving a dog when they hadnt visited this place to see what they were buying first.

Good luck with your new puppy! I am sure she/he will be just fabulous.