Be Honest: Why Do You Buy So Many Bags??

I have 4 everyday bags, 1 bag to use in the rain, 3 casual going out bags, 1 nice evening bag my grandmother gave me and 2 big travel type bags. 11 sounds like alot I guess but I like switching the everyday bags, sometimes I want a knock around, sometimes a nice bag and another day an under the radar sort of bag (you know not an LV). Uh-oh it's actually 12, I have a swingpack from Coach for going to the museum, beach etc. so I can be handsfree :smile: . I buy a bag to use it and every bag has a purpose, it isn't to collect them....not that there is anything wrong with that, I just don't have the room or finances. I think for some people it is a hobby/love and unlike some collections it is totally usuable.

I'm similar really. I tend to buy different bags for different functions and I'm always on the hunt for the perfect everyday bag that will fit all situations (not sure it exists!) i also sometimes get caught up in the NEED for a popular bag that may not actually fit with my lifestyle but i lust after it just the same (I'm thinking about the Mulberry bayswater here!). i have 2 messenger bags (one 'good' one and one knock around with kids one), 2 every day bags (one rainy day one and one leather one), a nice going out shoulder bag, a small evening grab bag and then a few no-name suede bags that I don't really use anymore but don't have any real value so no point selling them. If i get the new job i'm after I'll be looking for a smart work bag next!! (maybe the bayswater after all!)

Because i can, because i love them, because either we like it or not it is a status symbol as it is for men a nice car, and every man dreams of a nice car why can't we dream and sometimes buy nice bags?

In the past I just bough hobos as they were what I gravitated towards. Now my handbag collection is more varied and include totes, hobos and flap shoulder bags. I have added color as well. I am not a collector, I use all my bags to match with different outfits. I just love having nice bags and shoes - that's my thing. If you keep your outfit simple - the bag and shoes really can pull the whole look together. I sold seven bags earlier in the year and replaced them with my new ones. I figure if I am not using it I either give it away or sell it.

I buy so many bags because I really like them and use them. Some more often than others. I don't like selling off my bags so my collection has grown because of it. I won't get a bag just to get it but if I like it, why not?

Mine is pure Retail Therapy. Because I was very overweight (I've lost 4 stone so far) I never used to buy clothes because it was so depressing so I bought bags instead. Also, because I thought that if I had a really lovely bag that people would be so busy looking at that that they would not notice me.

Now, I just want everything and if I want it I have to have it. Everytime I see somebody with a lovely bag I want it. I do use everyone I have though.

Ali, good for you for losing weight! You go girl!!! :yahoo:

As for me, as I have posted before, I recently went nuts (really, really, really nuts :nuts:) buying bags.

Now I've gotten it out of my system and have been trying to sell the bags I no longer have a need for. It's interesting b/c I was obsessed with Balenciaga (I still love them and am going to keep a few) but now the bags that I am drawn to are smaller, more compact and better organized (ex- My Black Balenciaga Day vs my new Hayden Harnett Dominique Hobo).

I'm trying to get my life better organized and get clear on what are my priorities.

The other day I was in Manhattan for work and doing a lot of people watching, aka, checking out other woman's bags. After a while, I was really troubled that I could name so many of the bags' brands yet can I recite all 50 states or every single US president :confused1:

At first it was just a quest for the perfect bag, years ago I had a bag that I loved and used until it fell apart, I have not since loved a bag that much. I have over 100 bags at present. I definitely collect evening bags, they are just so cute and pretty and easy to store. All my other bags are BIG, I was a big bag gal before they became popular. I used to give my bags away, now I wish I had a few of those back as they are very much in style again. Bag watching is my absolutely favorite hobby. And I do think a bag says a lot about who you want to be at that moment. Classic, trendy, wealthy, practical, or LOOK AT ME logo bags (I never carry logo). Sometimes I change bags during the day, bags are like wearable art. :dothewave:To bags.

because I have a void to fill in my life! :sad:
No, seriously, when I'm in love, I barely consume anything, I don't feel to constantly buy new clothes, bags, shoes, make up etc. I'm happy with what I have, actually I don't even think about material things.
But right now I'm single and there is no one on the horizon, I haven't seen my parents for so long... :crybaby:There is nothing emotionally consuming going on right now, so I compensate with shopping. I know, it sounds really shallow and stupid, but when I get a beautiful object like a designer bag, I feel loved and special.
I don`t think it sounds shallow or stupid at all, just insightful & honest...:yes:

I try to only buy bags I really like and lately, I haven't really liked very many; partly because two of my favourite designers (Phoebe Philo and Tom Ford) have (I hope temporarily) left the business.

I'm definitely a collector of designer accessories (jewellery and bags) - I view myself as being a bit like an art collector, only with the added advantage that I can wear/carry my collection! :biggrin:

I guess I buy bags because it's the one splurge I can justify to myself. I wouldn't spend $400 on a blouse because you couldn't wear it everyday, like you could a bag. I wouldn't spend $400 on a pair of shoes because, for obvious reasons, shoes don't last as long as a bag would. They're getting walked on, tore up against the concrete, etc. A bag never even has to touch the ground unless you let it. :smile:

And while my bags may be expensive I DO use them, and thoroughly. So, it's a way to treat myself, feel well dressed, and (somewhat) practical all at the same time.

If I really think about it I buy bags on impulse, I have so many that haven't been used that it literally makes me feel ill about how much I have spent and then not put to good use.

I never thought of myself as having a "collection" several years ago, and now I think of myself as having a "collection". Call it a hobby? I don't know. All I know is, that I love handbags. I love the feel of them, the smell of them, the sound of them as they open and close, and the art of changing out a bag every day, like a ritual. I love stalking the ones that I like in my favorite stores and pouncing when the time is right, and mourning when the one that I wanted got away. No one understand this.....none of my best girlfriends can understand it. They just know I am a nut for handbags. That's about it.