Arrested Development?

Any one watched yet? I watched this show when it was on tv and could never understand why it didn't attract a bigger following. I was so, so happy that Netflix decided to bring it back.

Don't want to say much, but I found the first episode disappointing. We've watched 7 episodes so far and besides the first one I've thought most of them were pretty good.

The Daily Beast had this negative review which I agree a lot with, but I still am enjoying my time with the Bluths. Even if it might not feel as good as the original for me, I am still loving it.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...development-why-netflix-s-revival-failed.html

I've watched the first two episodes. I don't know, it just doesn't seem to have the same vibe. It feels like the characters are playing caricatures of themselves.

I've only watched a few of the episodes so far, but I have to say I am underwhelmed. Definitely don't seem like the same show as before. I was all set to do a marathon when it came out, but I only made it through three episodes before I stopped since I was semi-bored.

However, I think Kristen Wiig is fantastic as the younger Lucille Bluth.

i watched it all in one day (yesterday). i overall really liked it. my biggest complaint was that because the episodes were each a good bit longer than the original three seasons (>30 minutes compared to - what? - 22ish?), some parts seemed to drag.

i can see where the concept would be a little weird/offputing - focusing on one character in each episode, not necessarily having a set order - but i liked it.

normally, tobias is my favorite main character followed by lucille, but on the first watch, i enjoyed the GOB and buster episodes the best.

lots of little funny moments, and i'm sure i'll pick up on more stuff and like the episodes even more upon rewatching. it's the kind of show that improves upon rewatching, because there are so many more things you notice.

FWIW, most of my friends are AD fans, and they all seem to like season 4. maybe not as much as the original seasons, but they're still liking it so far.

Haven't watched the new season yet but do recall how excited I was when I bought the dvd set... and planned to watch them all at once. Only to also feel underwhelmed at watching them all together. Then I realized that part of what I loved about the show so much was thinking about what I had just seen, discussing it with others, quoting silly lines, and anticipating the next episode.

Wish Netflix had released just one a week because usually there is so much going on in one episode, that, as someone else already noted, you have to watch it again (or talk about it with friends) to catch it all.

I've also heard on other forums that people didn't really get back into the rhythm of things till after watching the first three new episodes, so I am still excited about watching it and will keep an open mind and be prepared for things not to be exactly the same.

(Sorta reminds me of how upset and even angry people were over the last episode of Seinfeld... when you're that attached to the characters, you do have certain expectations and it's startling to not get what you were looking for.)

All I have to say is "FERRAL JESUS" on the reality show with in the show. I could not stop laughing. It still cracks me up everytime I think about it.

Just watched the 1st episode and LOVED it! Thought it was perfectly done and like finding a lost episode from years ago. Laughed out loud several times... just like old times.

George Michael did look older in certain scenes but, luckily, he is still quite baby-faced and it wasn't too distracting. I just figured I have seen so many older actors play teens and even up to middle-aged on shows like SNL.

Wouldn't have even noticed that it focused mainly on Michael and his son if I hadn't seen others comment on it. And love that Liza is back! I just adore her in this series.

Just googled to see how old Michael Cera is and was surprised that he's only 24... wow, he was really young on the original AD. I was expecting him to be closer to 30.

Watched episodes 3 and 4 last night and now I'm starting to really get back into it. I had a few moments where I was just cracking up, especially Henry Winkler's scenes and Tobias, when accused of being gay singing 'that's a fallac-y'

On a separate note, Portia DiRossi has had some major work done. She doesn't even look like her old self. Kind of a shame because she was pretty before, and still is, but just looks not quite the same.

^^^ when Lindsay has long hair (a wig) she looks fake. As soon as they show her with her real hair short she looks cute. I watched the entire season and keep thinking of different scenes and can't stop laughing. I don't know how to put up the spoiler alert. I love when it they get to George Micheal.

yay, glad more people liked it :smile:

we started re-watching some of season 4 last night and i'm already picking up on jokes that i missed the first time around.

i know there's a lot of debate over whether portia had work done, but to me she really only looks super weird in her first episode, and some of that is the wig...and then i'm also wondering if they specifically put make up on her to make her look "off"? she looks a little like christine taylor/sally sitwell. after the wig comes off, i think portia's face looks a lot more normal again. not sure though - she may have had some work done also.

i thought it was funny that young barry is played by henry winkler's son.

Portia was on Ellen's show last week and they showed a clip from AD. In the clip, Portia was wearing a long blonde wig, and I agree, she looked very different. But on ELLEN, Portia wore her hair short & minimal makeup and she looked more herself. I don't think she's had work done, per se, but maybe she's had Botox or some other kind of "treatment." Here's a pic from Ellen's show

0.jpg

And here's how she looks on the show - I think its a combination of the long wig and makeup. Her eyes look much wider in these pics & she's wearing a lot more makeup than she appears to wear IRL

cross-blog480.jpg

derossi-span-blog480.jpg

Last edited: