Am I crazy?!?!?! Is profit the only thing that matters??? long!

I agree with Twiggers. I don't think it has much to do with where they produce it, it has more to do with who is buying it and how many you see on the street every day (which depends on prices). I don't think that any of us would be buying these things if we saw half of the people we see on the street every day with damier speedys or mono neverfulls (which is starting to happen in bigger cities like NY and LA).

I personally have lost a lot of interest in the brand, because they are introducing more low-end items in the $600 range than they are introducing higher-level permanent pieces. It seems like every "fashionista" young gay (the market I would like to separate myself from) has gucci this or louis vuitton that. Its really quite boring in the end...which is why I am at a crossroads with regards to my next purchase.

Either way, the sheer number of people spending $1000 on a bag today just means those who bought them in the past probably feel the need to spend more so as not to look so pedestrian...which could be a reason for a) the feeling of diminishing brand exclusivity, b) price increases at brands like Chanel, and c) LV losing customers like me ;)

(i didnt mean to be so long-winded) please forgive...:P

I live in an area, where I see LV, Hermes, Chanel, Gucci, etc all the time. That doesn't keep me from buying them.

I will always buy what I like, regardless of who else has it.

I don't think LV can seriously be compared to Coach or Burberry but only as an example of how quality can be lost when the product is produced too quickly to gain a profit when demand is high (the product gains popularity). My Coach bags from 20 years ago are so far superior to the quality that Coach produces today. Thats not to say that Coach bags are cheap, but only that their product has changed as well.

I live in an area, where I see LV, Hermes, Chanel, Gucci, etc all the time. That doesn't keep me from buying them.

I will always buy what I like, regardless of who else has it.

That is perfectly all-right, but can't we agree that there are people who want exclusivity and a little bit of uniqueness, especially when spending $1000+?

I don't think LV can seriously be compared to Coach or Burberry but only as an example of how quality can be lost when the product is produced too quickly to gain a profit when demand is high (the product gains popularity). My Coach bags from 20 years ago are so far superior to the quality that Coach produces today. Thats not to say that Coach bags are cheap, but only that their product has changed as well.

I agree! Older Coach bags could survive wars!

That is perfectly all-right, but can't we agree that there are people who want exclusivity and a little bit of uniqueness, especially when spending $1000+?

But see the exclusivity is coming at a higher price point. You need to up yourself to about $1500-2000 to get exclusivity...and even then....my Chanel tote was $1900 (now currently $2300) and you can buy it anywhere....but can just anyone drop 2K on a tote? So the price point needs to get to the point where the average middle class person says 'Well for 2K I can buy a purse, but really I can use that 2K on other more important things' vs. the upper middle class -> upper class who say '2K is nothing for a bag' and don't even blink.
True exclusivity comes at about an $8000 starting price tag for a Hermes...where you special order, wait for months....if they even take your order!!!

I agree! Older Coach bags could survive wars!

Those Coach bags from 20 years ago were around $200 then. If they kept the same quality leather and brass, the bags would be so much more expensive than they are today and Coach would be more unaffordable to many in their market. They were such great bags from my college days!:smile:

First and foremost, LVMH is a buisness. Of course they want more and more profits, however, I do not think they're going to sacrifice the quality of their goods.

And there is nothing wrong with LV making what everyone is referring to as "affordable bags" such as the Neverfull... That was a great business decision IMO!

But please keep in mind, $600 is not affordable for 99.9% of the people who live in our world!

Just enjoy your bags and feel fortunate that you have them :smile:

Why can't people just be happy for others who have LV? Why does someone else's ability to purchase LV affect your enjoyment of it?

Honestly, a lot of people get jealous when they see someone else with 'their' bag, so they go out and get something more expensive. A lot of wealthy people want exclusivity and that usually means forking out thousands of dollars on what they want. Think about it this way... if you spent $500 on a shirt at Neiman Marcus, would you get mad if you saw 10 other people with it? I know I would.

But see the exclusivity is coming at a higher price point. You need to up yourself to about $1500-2000 to get exclusivity...and even then....my Chanel tote was $1900 (now currently $2300) and you can buy it anywhere....but can just anyone drop 2K on a tote? So the price point needs to get to the point where the average middle class person says 'Well for 2K I can buy a purse, but really I can use that 2K on other more important things' vs. the upper middle class -> upper class who say '2K is nothing for a bag' and don't even blink.
True exclusivity comes at about an $8000 starting price tag for a Hermes...where you special order, wait for months....if they even take your order!!!

I was making a point about LV handbags in particular. LVs never used to be a household name (at even lower pricepoints than now), and now it is a household name. So yes, the new exclusivity is at $8k for H. I'm on the same page ;)

I think the european market is very different from the American market and then there are still a few groups in europe. I think the cheaper bags from Louis are also aiming at the old money that beleaves in quality but don't want to pay to much. I think with me it's the othwer way around, i see people with way more money than me buying the bags i like but i find those people tacky often.

Yes, they are out on profit. And for me yes the brand cheapens not because people with less money buy it but people without class (and yes that's judgemental and all but it's just my view)

I've always wondered if the older vintage bags made in France, exceptional quality, etc, will actually increase in market value once LV starts the outsourcing...