"After contacting some of your references . . . . "

What happened was that they had to go through my employee records.

I have lots of good employee reviews: taking initiatives, good rapport with customers, how I really improved since I first started.

There are also records on how I was written up because my register was over a couple of times. That only happened when I wasn't paying attention, and they were spaced out a couple of months apart.

It is illegal in most places to divulge anything but when you were employed and when you left, and if you were fired for theft.

PM me for more info Caitlin....

The Starbucks woman makes it sound like some of your references were either LUKEWARM or negative about you.

Did you ask your references first if you could indeed use them as a reference? And would any one of them say something negative or lukewarm, which is just as bad?

That is odd, what did your references say?

This is what I was thinking... I would go back through your references and make sure you don't have a landmine in the middle of them... This is my worst nightmare...

There was this guy that I worked with (in a lateral position, same title as mine) in a HR position, that was always NICE to me in person... but I just never felt comfortable around him... And I always felt like he was trying to sabotage me at work... (Like "accidently" shredding my faxes, etc...)

He was very adament about being one of my references, and you know, said how much he "loved me" and how great I was to work with, etc... But I just always had this feeling that he was a 'landmine' on my references, that I never would really KNOW what he would actually say to people if he was contacted... Keep in mind there wouldn't be anything negative for this person to report... but this was a type of person that could make ANYTHING negative....

I would double check your reference list... Good luck!! I know how tough it is!!

I would be written up every time my drawer was over. Those times the manager wrote me up are part of my records, and those are what hurt me.

I didn't intentionally short change customers, maybe some bills were stuck together.

So sorry this happened to you. Hopefully you will find an even BETTER job and this incident will be a mere distant memory.

This is what I was thinking... I would go back through your references and make sure you don't have a landmine in the middle of them... This is my worst nightmare...

There was this guy that I worked with (in a lateral position, same title as mine) in a HR position, that was always NICE to me in person... but I just never felt comfortable around him... And I always felt like he was trying to sabotage me at work... (Like "accidently" shredding my faxes, etc...)

He was very adament about being one of my references, and you know, said how much he "loved me" and how great I was to work with, etc... But I just always had this feeling that he was a 'landmine' on my references, that I never would really KNOW what he would actually say to people if he was contacted... Keep in mind there wouldn't be anything negative for this person to report... but this was a type of person that could make ANYTHING negative....

I would double check your reference list... Good luck!! I know how tough it is!!

I had a lady I worked with (who I developed a friendship with) who was also super encouraging about putting her as a reference. Whenever I got on interviews (I'm going for my next level up job as I now have a degree) I'd tell her how things went and we'd do girl talk, etc. She divuldged to me that she is also looking around for something new. Her job grade is a number of grades above mine and in a totally different capacity than I want to work in, so I don't consider myself a threat to her at all.

Recently though, she accidentally forwarded me an email where she made a snide comment about me (trying to blame me for a mistake she made to someone who doesn't work for the company). She tried to recall the email, but it was too late, I had already seen it. I deleted her IMMEDIATELY off of my references. She apologized and I forgive her, but I am not being buddy buddy with her anymore and do not tell her anything about my interviews now.

Caitlin...Go over yer references..Sounds like Someone is badmouthin you.U need to take that one reference out of your resume

This is great advice! You really should take whoever this person is out of your resume

I remember talking to the HR folks about references and how they rarely even ask anything anymore out of liability reasons. My point is make sure that this hiring person really did talk to someone you listed. Just make sure. I know you mentioned they had gone through your employment files about the drawer being over. Asking if they're the one that badmouthed you is a delicate matter because they might be so upfront about it due to the reason above. Good Hunting for the person! In the meantime, keep your chin up!

I won't offer any advice--you've received good ideas already. Just want to offer support. It's discouraging to be looking for a new job and especially so when something like this happens. Something better will come along for you.

Best wishes, Caitlin!