Adopting a cat this weekend- any advice?

I don't know how people can just give up their pets like that!! I am so glad that you came along to give Hermes a happy home :smile: He sure is a cutie! Glad it worked out for both you and him!

:woohoo:Congrats on the new kitty. He is gorgeous. I'm glad to hear he is adjusting to his new home. As for some toys, let me recommend any of the little catnip mousies. They come in packs of six and and my cats freak out over them. They also love The Teaser, which is just a colorful yarn attached to a rod. They drag it all over the house. And strangely, my one cat is always stealing my rubber bands for my hair. I ended up buying some for her at the dollar store because she was always stealing mine.
Also because cats get bored with their toys rather easily, you should rotate them every few weeks. You don't need to go crazy getting the super expensive toys because he'll probably end up destroying them anyway.
And last, you might want to store all Hermes' new toys in a basket where he can just pull them out when he wants them. Even if it seems like a fruitless effort. Good luck and thanks again for taking in an older cat. You're awesome.