Adopting a cat this weekend- any advice?

1. So, my BF and I have been thinking about adopting a cat for a while now and are finally ready to do it. Our neighbor is a vet and told us about a cat at his clinic who needs a home. He is male (fixed), approx. 8 y/o, declawed, and healthy if a little chubby. We haven't met him yet but are going tomorrow, and if all goes well he will come home with us! We have both had cats before but it's been a while, and I have never had an indoor only cat (we live in NYC so he can't go outside) or a declawed cat. Does anyone have any advice on what food, toys, other supplies to get, or how to ease the transition process for him? I know that it will be stressful for the cat to get used to our apartment- any ideas on how to make it better? Thanks!

2. Congrats! I would see what the vet suggests to feed him. When you bring him home, he will probably look for a place to hide -- so if you have an extra bedroom or den, let him out of his carrier there. He will probably feel safest under a bed.

During the transition, you may want to leave his box, food and water in the same room so he doesn't have to go far for his needs.

After a few days, he will get more comfortable with you and you can introduce toys to him. I would also suggest getting him a nice bed.

Good luck and keep us posted!

3. I suggest feeding him whatever he's been eating at the vet's and if you decide to change his food, do it gradually as cat's have very sensitve stomachs. I would let him explore his new home at his own pace and not force anything on him. If he doesn't want to be held and cuddled as he is stressed, let him be.

4. how nice for you and the new addition. i agree with all of the above - same diet, set up the litter box in a quiet place etc....my 17 year old tabby is strictly indoors too.

5. in addition to everyones advice:

catnip!!! our cats go nut for cat nip. you'll need a scratching post, the cardboard ones work great, or did you say he's declawed? laser pointers are lots of fun and so are feathers and string. kitties can be so much fun!

6. Did you bring the cat home with you? I hope it all worked out well!

7. Thanks for the advice, everyone! We did bring him home today! "Latrell" has been renamed "Hermes" (not like the company- no accent- only on tPF would I have to specify that! and not like the cat cares, we called him several names and he responded to all of them) and is currently hanging out under our bed. He's been there most of the day, although he has come out a few times to explore and drink some water. Once he's adjusted, I will try to take some pictures to show you, because he is just beautiful!

8. ^Congrats!

9. Can't wait to see pics of your new kitty!

10. Glad it worked out and can't wait to see your pictures!

11. Congrats on your new kitty! Can't wait to see pics!

12. Congrats on the new addition to your family! :nuts: Can't wait to see pictures of Hermes :smile:

13. Okay, we managed to get one good picture of him (he didn't want to sit still for photos, not surprising). He is settling in very well and is now exploring the entire apartment, although he still likes to hang out under the bed best.

tmpphp2r34Qt.jpg
  14. Aww, what a handsome guy Hermes is!

15. oooh he is soo handsome ! he needs an orange twilly now ! :nuts: