$4k Chanel bag sold - BUYER CLAIMS EMPTY BOX

To me this looks like somebody opened the box and took the bag out, plain and simple. I really, really doubt any postal worker would put a box in that condition into their truck, much less deliver it.

I have received packages in all kinds of conditions. Sometimes they look like they drive a truck on top of them. USPS is not all that vigilant about it as they could be.

As far as the sellers' personal info, the buyer already has it or can get it with one click off EBay.

p-WA

When a letter or package gets ripped in transit, the USPS usually sticks a notice or stamps a note to that effect on the envelope or box. Either the carrier is a dunce, or someone is lying about something.

I have received packages in all kinds of conditions. Sometimes they look like they drive a truck on top of them. USPS is not all that vigilant about it as they could be.

As far as the sellers' personal info, the buyer already has it or can get it with one click off EBay.

p-WA
Yes I agree with that. Some of my pkgs have been trashed by USPS and UPS, but so far have been lucky enough not to lose contents.
I hope you get this resolved by going to the PO tomorrow, OP. Good luck.

How many hands does a usps package actually pass through from the time you hand it over to the counter clerk- or have it picked up- to the time it gets to the carrier for delivery?

Wow, that has to be the nicest 'tampered' with package I have ever seen. How nicely the thief cut along the lines as to not 'damage' the 'purse'. That looks like a box opened carefully, not box torn apart in a hurry as to not get caught stealing. Im calling scammer on this one. Things just arent adding up.

IDK...

If the box came with the bottom as it's shown in the photos, with the tape completely sliced, the box would've been open, and she wouldn't have needed to open it on the top to notice that the box was empty and then see that the bottom was sliced, as she puts it in her emails.

ETA: Crosspost Barmz!

sounds like a total scam. she wants the bag for free i think.

and she can make the insurance claim, since she is the one with the pilfering issue. i had sold a broken iphone for parts once and it sold for $85. anyhow, the guy messaged me weeks later saying he never got it. of course i had insurance. so i told him to make a claim. all they need to make a claim is the insurance number on your slip, and a copy of their paypal invoice, then they can fill out the form in their post office. you shouldn't file the claim since you didn't witness the issue. also, regardless of whether it was her or her husband, someone at her address signed for it, thereby accepting the package. it's their problem now.

oh and the guy did make a paypal claim for the phone and i won because i had insurance and delivery confirmation. he also lost the insurance claim, and i told him to appeal it. i never heard from him again.

Very good advice - CALL EBAY ASAP. I am hoping this was insured and the USPS will be responsible, but of course you would be out your bag AND the buyer's money; insurance would only pay for one of those losses. Perhaps your post office who you deal with regularly can attest to the package leaving them intact and if they weighed it, they will know that weight could not be an empty box. If the buyer paid with Google, she can't do a chargeback (as with PP), but she can possibly do a CC chargeback.
Please keep us posted. This very well could be a scam. Check her FB on www.toolhaus.org?

she would be out the bag, but would have the buyer's payment. then a postal insurance claim would pay the buyer back. so each party would have $4K. no bag, but enough to go rebuy the same-similar bag.

to stay on topic with whether USPS would deliver a tampered box, yes they would.

i mailed myself a huge box of personal stuff (from south texas to DFW) that i couldn't carry on an airplane due to limited luggage.
when i received it the next day, the packaged arrived with a USPS sticker that said something like "your box was damaged in the process of delivery." it was VERY disappointing. the box was wet along with the tape coming undone, leaving a huge hole in the top of the box.
a few items were missing but nothing valuable to anyone other than me.

so i think it is possible for boxes like that to be delivered but i agree with the others that there seems to be holes in her story.

I always thought that it was the sellers responsibility to file the insurance claim since they were the ones that purchased the insurance. I think what is supposed to happen is that the seller refunds the buyer and then is reimbursed via the insurance claim.

The insurance would not pay the buyer but the seller, as it was the seller who purchased it. That's why the buyer tries to convince the seller to refund the money. If it's a scam, buyer keeps the bag and the money. If the USPS investigates and decides that the package was covered for whatever it happened to it, the seller will recover the $4K. Otherwise, she's toast.

If the buyer paid with a CC and disputes the charge claiming she didn't get the bag, Google Checkout will claim it has proof of delivery kuz of the SigConf. Depending on the CC, as far as I know, the buyer might or might not get a refund. The seller, on the other hand, is supposed to be covered against "unwarranted" chargebacks under GC's fraud protection; however, last I checked, the seller's account is not debited the amount of the chargeback IF GC can dispute it successfully. I don't use GC, so I don't have direct experience with it. That's just according to the rules...doesn't mean that's how it works...just look at PayFoe.

If the seller had the insurance, what's the likelyhood of USPS paying out the insurance claim? They had the box for less than 24 hours, they delivered it and the package was signed by the receiver. If the box was damaged/open, they usually have the notice along the package. This is very very fishy-

This reminds me of when Police are investigating murders (sorry, this is on topic I promise!!! ) and they say that the home is just overly trashed, like it was MADE to look like somebody robbed it, and typical robbers dont do that, this is what the box reminded me of. The buyer messed with it to much, to be sure it looked tampered with. I know Im rambling but this is just my crazy thought process.