How many books do you read?

gillianna

O.G.
Dec 27, 2005
I've been going to the library once every two weeks and picking up hardcover books for 25-50 cents each. Most are books from the New York Times bestseller list and I am sure they are quite a few months old but I just want some reading to do and really don't care if it is not the book of the week. So I have been reading 2-3 books a week. I hardly watch TV and would rather read a book but my friends think it is so strange that I am not hooked on TV shows for 5 hours a night. I mean you can't even talk to them when their shows are on. So are there any other readers out there?

I did have one friend who would not allow any TV's in her house. She and her husband took up pottery to pass time and started a business later on---so that was pretty cool.

I read at least 3 books a week - I'm a really avid reader and I read very fast. We don't own a TV. Never felt the need to. My son reads a lot too, and i think it's because he doesn't have the distractions of other media. Whatever news, weather reports etc are easily obtainable off the net.

I stick the amount of money I'd have been paying for cable every month in my son's college fund, LOL!

EDIT: All my family know I read so they come to me for book recommendations. I finally set up a blog - link here.

I'm a mix of both worlds. If I have the time, I will ALWAYS choose a book over TV. Before my son, I used to read maybe 3 books a week (one fluffy fun book, one mainstream, and usually one classic) and a couple of magazines.

Now my TBR pile is HUGE, and I just don't have the time to sit down and read. I'll go through maybe one book in 3 weeks. I do read lots more magazines now because the smaller articles and easy reading fits into my lifestyle. My subscriptions vary from The Economist to Life & Style (lol.. that's my guilty pleasure).

I went for 5 years without cable (just used the TV for DVDs) and I did just fine, but now I'm so hooked. Like your friend, I tell everyone not to call me during Lost, Grey's Anatomy, American Idol, etc. :P One good thing with me is that I don't just idly watch tv. I only turn it on for my shows.

My biggest impediment to reading more is probably the internet. It's an addiction that's hard for me to limit.

I read about a book a week. I have a 45 minute trainride to work each day. It definitely helps me pass the time. I tend to vary what I read too -- right now I am on a non-fiction kick. Maybe we could start a list of suggested readings?

I'm a huge reader. During the week, not very much b/c I get home somewhat late. However, on the weekends I love reading and have always been a very quick reader.

I would read more if I could! I've started reading in bed before sleep, commuting to work, and on saturday/sunday mornings. I recently finished Fight Club, Kissing in Manhattan, and Youth in Revolt. I'm moving on to Love in the Time of Cholera this weekend!

I buy books all the time, I joined so many book clubs that I can't keep count. I even joined under my BF's name too. :lol: Best deals are on Literary Guild. My mom is an avid reader as well and I constanly go over to "borrow" her newly purchased books.

About 3-5 books a week..... I keep a running list of books I want to pick up in Delicious Library, and I check the new release fiction stacks at the library when I go..... I am at the library at least once a week, and I always have 10-20 books out.....

If you are using a Mac, I recommend the following apps to feed your library addiction:

Delicious Library for keeping track of books you have read/own/want to read ($40) (integrates nicely with Amazon.com):
http://www.delicious-monster.com/

Book Burro for finding out if books are available at your local library while you are checking them out on Amazon.com:
http://bookburro.org/

Library Books, for keeping track of books you have out on loan/holds:
http://haroldchu.id.au/?q=node/2

I love to read but often go for a while without reading. I usually carry a book in my purse for times when I have to eat lunch away from home to read. But usually when I'm home I get so busy with other things I sort of read in spurts.

i read about one book a week in my non busy work times. i wish i could read more during the busy work season, but no way! i end up just reading the nytimes online during those periods

i never watch tv either, i find that watching tv is a time waster and i always regret turning it on and getting sucked into some show i don't even like!

One good thing with me is that I don't just idly watch tv. I only turn it on for my shows.

My biggest impediment to reading more is probably the internet. It's an addiction that's hard for me to limit.

ME TOO. but i have many, many shows.:tup: i love good television more than anything else. but really- book, film, good scripted television...they're all good storytelling and that is something i love, in ANY form. i can't discriminate, quality can come from any of those. personally, absolutely no offense to anyone here or in general, but i think saying all tv is crap and worthless compared to books, that is a very limited and close minded perspective, imo.

as far as book go, i read fast too, i try to read 1-2 a week, but if i've got a lot of writing work going on, and i'm watching alot of my shows, it doesnt happen. and i agree, the internet def does effect how much time i spend reading....:shame: