whose daddy's or mommy's princess?

IMHO, parents aren't "wonderful" because they reward you with bags for being responsible in school... Where's the work ethic gone to nowadays??

ITA! Like if that's true, I guess I had crappy parents, since they never bought me a designer bag for getting straight A's in school and then going off to MIT. Hmm, i wonder why I ended up going to such great lengths to get a PhD and support myself with my own $$ (no rich husband needed)? there was no Birkin in it for me, so how did i end up succeeding in school? ooh, I guess it could be something called "motivation" or yeah, "responsibility", maybe... who knew that existed??? LOL

i'm not saying giving expensive things to your child is necessarily a bad thing. heck, if you are rolling in $$ you are free to do whatever you want. But what bugs me is how people how kids feel they "deserve" things (bags, a car, etc) for simply doing basic things (doing well in school, staying out of trouble, etc). It doesn't seem right that parents basically are bribing their kids just so they can do what they're *supposed* to do.

and BacardiGirl: you are a wonderful person!! Thanks for sharing your story. i think more ppl need to be like you--to appreciate their parents for the love and care they've given you, even though they may not be able to afford to give you luxurious items.

I find begging your parents for designer goods kinda sad. It's every young person's job to do well in school so that they can provide for themselves in the future. Does anyone reward your parents for working to support your necessities?

Get a part-time job and save for your extravagant purchases. Have some dignity and some class.

i know this is my 2nd post in this thread but i just have to say i totally agree with this. :tup: well said!

Good on you, BacardiGirl, and all the best to your Dad :heart:

I don't think there's anything wrong with parents buying their kids nice things to reward good grades, as long as they appreciate the value of them. I didn't always get luxuries as a reward for my grades, but it was nice to receive two things for my hard work at the end of a semester - the exhiliration of getting on the Dean's list, and something new from LV. It's not like I'm only working hard to get the LV, it just comes as an extra.

i don't think it's fair to assume that when parents buy their children nice things that the children only appreciate the material items and lack dignity. my parents have bought me a few luxury bags (not until college/later) and i think it is extremely generous of them considering i love these things and can't afford them myself right now. do i expect this or love my parents because of these gifts? absolutely not. they are wonderful people who have always always been there for me and have given me the best things money can and cannot buy.

You put it perfectly. I have parents who have been able to pay for good schooling for me, and been very generous, but I never feel I am owed anything for doing something I should be doing anyways. Just because my parents could afford to give me a luxury bag, doesn't mean they should for me just working up to my potential.

You are supposed to work hard and do well in school, and there is nothing wrong with a parent rewarding you on their own accord if they want, but to feel you expect anything other than a hug and maybe some verbal praise is absurd. I certainly would never beg my parents for anything. Maybe when I was 15, but as a college student and adult, no way. If you are in college and don't have a job that is fine, but that means your parents are obviously supporting you as far as rent and bills, and that is more than enough for them to do IMO.

While giving your kids luxury items as gifts is up to each parent, and totally fine, it is the sense of entitlement some people have that just baffles me.

i'm not saying giving expensive things to your child is necessarily a bad thing. heck, if you are rolling in $$ you are free to do whatever you want. But what bugs me is how people how kids feel they "deserve" things (bags, a car, etc) for simply doing basic things (doing well in school, staying out of trouble, etc). It doesn't seem right that parents basically are bribing their kids just so they can do what they're *supposed* to do.

It's not like I'm only working hard to get the LV, it just comes as an extra.
ITA, like how you underline how the extra 'stays' extra and not the main reason.

BacardiGirl, thank you for your two posts really warm my :heart:...
All the best for your dad, as well as for you and you mom. Please keep me posted on his health condition :tup:

ohh lucky you! My mom wouldn't dream of spending more than $100 on anyone but herself. I know that sounds mean, but its true! All my bags were paid for by me.. im thinking a bbag for graduation tho haha. Tell me your strategies!!!

i think everybody's parents want their children to be happy, mine included. now that i'm growing up, i've realized that some of the things i ask for are completely ridiculous. my bag obsession hasn't reached it's peak, but it's getting there. however, after 17 years of being called a spoiled brat, it's finally hit me. relying on others your whole life is just sad.

i just got a job at a clothing store. so for everyone that says "oh it's not easy to get a job," you're just being lazy. i used to be proud of being called "daddy's little girl," and i always will be daddy's little girl, but geez learn some responsibility. your life is ridiculously easy compared to a lot of other people's and just be thankful for what you have for once. i'm all for parents rewarding their kids for getting good grades or for accomplishing a big goal, but just realize that if you brag about that kind of stuff, no one is impressed, especially when there are others who work their butts off for the same bag that you got handed to you.

IMHO, parents aren't "wonderful" because they reward you with bags for being responsible in school... Where's the work ethic gone to nowadays??

I agree!

We were taught to take pride and enjoyment in doing well and being smart. We sometimes received gifts for grades, but it was never definite.

For doing well in elementary school we went to dinner at Sizzler and got to go out to the movies.

For doing well in junior high we got a small trinket or a nicer version of something we already needed like jeans or sneakers.

For doing well in high school our gift was not getting grounded.

For doing well in college our gift was not getting cut off from those tuition payments. We had to work if we wanted spending money.

My parents were rough, overprotective, incredibly strict, and I hated them growing up. All my friends got nice things and allowance including in college and after!

Now I realize that they were and are wonderful in their own way because as a 25 year old single woman who works, I dont expect anything from anyone or feel entitled to things for doing my job and meeting my responsibilities.

Ill take the gifts of a good moral compass, love and affection, and a strong sense of self over a handbag anyday.

I think it's OK for parents to give luxuries to their children. It's all a matter of whether they can afford it or not. Let's face it, not everyone is as fortunate to have higher disposable income. What maybe a staggering purchase for a lot may not mean anything for the few. Still, I believe it is more meaningful if it came from your own sweat and efforts. I grew up with my parents giving me everything I needed and sometimes more and I am totally appreciative but I think it gives me more sense of pride that I am able to maintain the same lifestyle out of my own merit.

okay chill please.. when i use the word 'begging' dont take it literally all the way!

so what now its wrong for parents to get their kids stuff..? :confused1:

I think that its important for parents to buy their children necessities NOT luxuries. If its a special birthday like 18 or 21 or something then yes thats acceptable. But I don't see how parents "rewarding" their children for behaving in school is acceptable.

I would say that my family is very well off however my parents never bought me luxury items. If it was something like clothes/food/education, they will pay. They buy nice things but not luxury. I personally saved up from my many jobs and entrepreneur experiences to buy things that I want.

Parents who buy their kids things everything do it because it makes them happy to see their kids happy. I understand this. However I believe there should be a limit to these things as many kids will begin to accept this as the norm and standard.