whose daddy's or mommy's princess?

Wow, sounds like nice Parents! So generous and loving!

I have a little diff story:
My parents are blue-collar, midwestern folks who can't afford to buy me LV or designer clothing/bags...then again, they are not familiar with those brands anyway. I am an only child, adopted, and my mom and dad provided everything they could for me when I was growing up. I never went without nice things or a loving home. Now, I am an adult, making a decent living, and 150 miles away from my beloved parents. Both are older and have health issues now, so that is why I am going back to school to work in the medical field so that I can give back by helping them and others like them in the future. Even though they could never buy me an LV purse or a BMW or a fancy vacation, I know they do all they can and love me and I still feel like a 'princess' :heart::heart::heart::girlsigh:

This is the best story I've ever read here. Bless you and your folks.

I get purses from my mom all the time ... but thats because she doesnt use them anymore or they are too heavy for her to wear :lol:

everything else I either bought myself from saving my money or as a gift for birthday/holiday

me... mainly daddy's and granny's... as stated: lots of begging ^^ I think the total money I ever earned does not exceed 350€ (roughly 500$)... but then again I'm a full-time student, studying more than the average colleague since I wanna finish in the shortest time possible. So I kinda see education as my job and parents "paying" me in nice stuff (I know I should be thankful being able to have higher education in the first way, and I am - for all I get)

Well I know that my Mom had always wanted to give me the moon - but she just couldn't. She gave me love instead which is what really matters in the end (I know - hokey and cliche)......I do remember though when I was in 8th grade, I got to use her Dior doctor bag - I took such good care of it until I got pen ink all over the bottom of it!!! It really wasn't my fault - a ballpoint pen actually opened up on the bottom of the bag and leaked through...sad sad day...:s but in any case, she only gave me what she had for herself.....so I never got bags per se (she ended up getting a ton of my stuff actually - the other way around!!!!) but for my 18th birthday a loooong time ago (!!!!) she let me have her beloved wind-up vintage Cartier tank watch.
I loved my Mom very much - and miss her to this day - she was only 64 and was taken too early. Who cares about what bags she did or did not give me.....I just wish I had her back.....

IMHO, parents aren't "wonderful" because they reward you with bags for being responsible in school... Where's the work ethic gone to nowadays??

I dunno...I have to disagree. I see nothing wrong with rewarding good work in school. Kids work hard in class to get good grades and parents reward them for doing well, that's the work ethic. Speaking as someone whose parents didn't allow me to have a job in high school, the only way I could get the things I wanted was to save my measly allowance (of $20/month) or get good grades.

I agree.

My parents HAVE the money to spoil me, and they do it to a certain extent on necessities and they will spend thousands as long as it has to do with education or learning a skill. My mom has NEVER willingly on her own bought me anything that's considered to be un-necessary more than 100$.
My dad on the other hand has bought me a few LV accessories to my surprise. Our family's been through some tough times, so I understand what poverty means and I don't blame my mom for not buying me luxury items. I think the message she gives me is more important than her buying them for me and that is "it's fine to buy luxury items, but you gotta EARN for it". I have excellent grades at school, but just because of so is not an excuse for my parents to buy me anything my heart desires. I gotta go find or save up every cent I have to buy what I want. Luxury items may be motivation to work hard, but there's a psychological difference when one is receiving the gift and earning it.
I've never begged my parents to buy me anything, and it's not my style to put my face down and IMO lose "dignity". I guess I'm a very independent person and I hate the feeling that I get when I OWE someone a favor. Just my opinion and how my life works.

i dont get it... what does dignity have to do with this? so what if i asked my mom pleeeeeeeeasee and prettyy pleeeaseeee...does this degrade me? shes my mom !!!!!!
and now that she got me something that is considered a luxury item..its considered as I OWE her a favor? i repeat : shes my moooommm !!!!

And important note..a friend knows i want the damier azur speedy and got it for me.. my mom told me to return it politely to the girl and told me its not okay to accept expensive gifts for no occassion and when uknow you cant give her a gift of the same value ... and that when she feels like it she'll get it for me...so big deaaaaal shes teasing me !!

I find begging your parents for designer goods kinda sad. It's every young person's job to do well in school so that they can provide for themselves in the future. Does anyone reward your parents for working to support your necessities?

Get a part-time job and save for your extravagant purchases. Have some dignity and some class.

I find begging your parents for designer goods kinda sad. It's every young person's job to do well in school so that they can provide for themselves in the future. Does anyone reward your parents for working to support your necessities?

Get a part-time job and save for your extravagant purchases. Have some dignity and some class.

okay chill please.. when i use the word 'begging' dont take it literally all the way!

so what now its wrong for parents to get their kids stuff..? :confused1:

I don't beg my parents for anything and only rarely do I ask them to buy me something, and it's never something extremely expensive eg up to $100 - I only ask if I've done something to deserve it eg. got really good grades. They might choose to buy me something more expensive, which is good, but when this happens or even when I am spending the money that I have gotten for my birthday or Christmas, I feel guilty about buying something that they'd deem extravagant (eg. LV). I am looking forward to getting a job and earning money - then (hopefully) I can buy things guilt free. There are loads of things I'd like to buy for my parents but I cannot afford to since I don't have a job - I'd love to treat them to things that they would never buy themselves (eg. LV), so if I get a job I'd love to do this :biggrin:

I agree.

My parents HAVE the money to spoil me, and they do it to a certain extent on necessities and they will spend thousands as long as it has to do with education or learning a skill. My mom has NEVER willingly on her own bought me anything that's considered to be un-necessary more than 100$.
My dad on the other hand has bought me a few LV accessories to my surprise. Our family's been through some tough times, so I understand what poverty means and I don't blame my mom for not buying me luxury items. I think the message she gives me is more important than her buying them for me and that is "it's fine to buy luxury items, but you gotta EARN for it". I have excellent grades at school, but just because of so is not an excuse for my parents to buy me anything my heart desires. I gotta go find or save up every cent I have to buy what I want. Luxury items may be motivation to work hard, but there's a psychological difference when one is receiving the gift and earning it.
I've never begged my parents to buy me anything, and it's not my style to put my face down and IMO lose "dignity". I guess I'm a very independent person and I hate the feeling that I get when I OWE someone a favor. Just my opinion and how my life works.

Same here - when I needed a new laptop I just made a call to my mom and I had one the next day and I've also had book credit accounts, but if I want luxuries like handbags etc, I have to wish for them for christmas (and I know they wouldn't buy me anything more than a pochette then) or buy them myself. If I do well in school (which is years ago last time) they might chose to get me something nice because they are proud of me.

:rolleyes: Not everyone can get a job easily - if you are not a European citizen in a European country you will have a hard time finding something decent... what does this have to do with dignity and class?! You shouldn't take "begging" literally...

I think parents want to do what's best for their kids...and they will always see their children as 'kids' no matter what age. I am 31 years old, and my parents have ALWAYS been there for me, no matter what. I have been through the typical young adult 'crises': relationship troubles, being laid off from jobs, not making enough money...even now, when I am having a bad time with things or life, my parents provide consultation and even offered to pay my school loan when I got laid off from a job downsizing a few years ago (which is super sweet considering I make more money than they do). My dad still reminds me (bless his heart) to 'check my oil' and drive safe. My mom gets sad if I have problems with my BF or work.
This week my dad is going to undergo surgery to insert a stent near his brain to prevent a stroke. He has heart disease and this has been a struggle for him and my family for several months. I will be by his side in this because they have always been angels by side!

I think parents want to do what's best for their kids...and they will always see their children as 'kids' no matter what age. I am 31 years old, and my parents have ALWAYS been there for me, no matter what. I have been through the typical young adult 'crises': relationship troubles, being laid off from jobs, not making enough money...even now, when I am having a bad time with things or life, my parents provide consultation and even offered to pay my school loan when I got laid off from a job downsizing a few years ago (which is super sweet considering I make more money than they do). My dad still reminds me (bless his heart) to 'check my oil' and drive safe. My mom gets sad if I have problems with my BF or work.
This week my dad is going to undergo surgery to insert a stent near his brain to prevent a stroke. He has heart disease and this has been a struggle for him and my family for several months. I will be by his side in this because they have always been angels by side!

Your 2 posts have brought tears to my eyes. It is amazing how much you love and respect your parents. I have 2 kids...6 and 8...I hope when they grow up they look at me the way you look at your parents.
Bless you and your family...with all your love by his side, I am SURE your dad will be great and in good health soon!!!