Original e-ring size?

I have upgraded 3 times in 10 years.... went from 1 carat to 1.89 carats to this (probably the last)
e-ring003.jpg

e-ring002.jpg

I don't have my ring yet :mad: JK :P

My mom's original ring was ~.3ct, and she lost the stone. It was replaced with a .5ct stone, but she never liked it because it didn't really look right in the setting. She wore a plain gold band for IDK like 15-20 years, then my dad finally bought her a 1ct eternity band. She's not into bling. Neither am I really :shrugs:

My original e-ring is a 1.10ct oval with 2 -.50ct. ovals on either side. My upgrade (for our 10th anniversary) is a 2.17ct antique-style cushion in a pave setting.

I'd love to see a photo of your cushion! It sounds lovely!

To address the original question in this thread - my fiance and I are in the midst of choosing our diamond (we've found the setting). We have been looking through tons of loose cushions. He wants to do something in the 1.7 - 2.5 range, and I have my heart set on a specific 3.02 ct we found. We've been discussing this (in terms of the price difference) and I'm of the position that because the 3 ct is not outside of our means, and I'm too sentimental to "upgrade" my ring later, we should just get the 3 ct now even if it is more than he had originally allocated. I've told him I would rather wear a simple diamond eternity band now and get the 3 ct later rather than spend all that money on the 2.5 ct only to trade it out in a few years. I'm too sentimental for that, plus it doesn't seem like a good use of money to me. Anyhow, I'm still working on him for the 2 ct... :P

p.s. perhaps I should add, we are in our 30s so we've been working for several years and are well established at this point ... My mother started out with half ct and now wears a 2 + ct, but they were married very young (in their early 20s)

I'd love to see a photo of your cushion! It sounds lovely!

To address the original question in this thread - my fiance and I are in the midst of choosing our diamond (we've found the setting). We have been looking through tons of loose cushions. He wants to do something in the 1.7 - 2.5 range, and I have my heart set on a specific 3.02 ct we found. We've been discussing this (in terms of the price difference) and I'm of the position that because the 3 ct is not outside of our means, and I'm too sentimental to "upgrade" my ring later, we should just get the 3 ct now even if it is more than he had originally allocated. I've told him I would rather wear a simple diamond eternity band now and get the 3 ct later rather than spend all that money on the 2.5 ct only to trade it out in a few years. I'm too sentimental for that, plus it doesn't seem like a good use of money to me. Anyhow, I'm still working on him for the 2 ct... :P

p.s. perhaps I should add, we are in our 30s so we've been working for several years and are well established at this point ... My mother started out with half ct and now wears a 2 + ct, but they were married very young (in their early 20s)

I say go for the 3ct and keep it forever. If not a 2.5/2.8 is just as good. I dont think its that much of a difference versus a 1ct jump.

It seems common to make the original diamond a pendant while wearing the upgrade. More then one upgrade seem to be a little much. But since i am young.. we can not afford much so my promise ring will be the one i keep forever and the ering can become a pendant one day and an upgrade in the next 10-20yrs. My ering will be a .88-1.0 but i wont get that for a few years =) i prefer food at the moment hehe:sweatdrop:

My original engagement ring diamond from my first husband was .2 carat. I had that made in to a ring after the divorce, then lost the ring. That's the only piece of jewelry I've ever misplaced. Karma? My second (and present) marriage - the first diamond was about a carat, then to 1.5 carats, now a little over 2.5 carats. That's as high as I want to go - anything larger looks out-of-proportion and kind of gaudy on my hand.

My current ring (and original... since I have only had it for like 3 mos so far!) is 1.05 with an additional .4 in diamonds in the band. We have talked about upgrading it. At first it looked so large on my fingers, but shrinkage set in rather quickly. I can see going up to two carats in a couple years, but really, for my style, I don't think I'd want anything larger. When I have tried on larger than that it just looked too wrong on my hand. I'd like to keep my original ring and just get a second ring though, I don't think I could ever get rid of my original stone.

My original is a .62 pear set in a simple 14K YG tiffany style setting. I still wear it, would never trade it in (I love it way too much). Please excuse the poor (yellow) kitchen lighting

IMG_1545.jpg

For our tenth anniversary I received a beautiful three stone ring...center is .51 and sides are .27 each. I do wear it on my left hand at times, but mostly as a RHR by itself.

121222155.jpg

My original is a .62 pear set in a simple 14K YG tiffany style setting. I still wear it, would never trade it in (I love it way too much). Please excuse the poor (yellow) kitchen lighting

IMG_1545.jpg

For our tenth anniversary I received a beautiful three stone ring...center is .51 and sides are .27 each. I do wear it on my left hand at times, but mostly as a RHR by itself.

121222155.jpg

Your 3 stone ring is lovely and very flattering to your hand!

I say go for the 3ct and keep it forever.

I completely agree with you! but ultimately he is the one wiring the money so I have to step back and let him make the decision... (I've already offered to pay the difference, but he really wants this to be his gift to me and he doesn't seem excited about getting me a band and waiting for the larger stone.... :s ) Through all of our conversations I have been getting the strong impression that he is going to stick to his orginal allocation and not get the dream 3.02 we've been looking at :crybaby: (it is absolutely TDF 9.54 x 8.0 mm, white as white can be, and the cut is out of this world... I've been dreaming of this stone every night) Anyhow, b/c of my gut feeling that he will go for the 2 ct instead, I've been thinking about what I will do with it when we upgrade later (isn't that horrible??? I haven't even gotten the ring yet, and I'm already thinking of upgrading...:shame: but I wear a size 7! which has the effect of really shrinking stones out of the gate). Anyhow, I will match the 2 ct with an equal size stone and make earrings.

If he really wants to get you that ring then take it and cherish it. Apparently it means a lot to him to stand by his word and that in return should mean more to you then letting you have the 3ct one. You can add a halo around it if you really want that size effect. :okay:

I've been thinking about this post and I don't really see myself getting an upgrade in the future after i get my e-ring. The ring he asks me to marry him should be the one and only ering i wear. (this doesn't exclude huge anniversary rings :P)

This is also why i am not engaged yet.. we are young and poor.. and have no money to afford a ~1ct diamond.

Laboheme- i love how you took a picture of the ear with the original diamond in it! that was the perfect touch to your post

claudette2- the 3 stone compliments your finger very nicely!

:heart::heart::love::love::heart::heart: