Do you think how you look has helped or hindered you?

My bosses big boobs got her hired but I think her dumb ass brain is going to get her fired...

Whatever works I guess but I am not pretty or beautiful and I am fat and don't know how to wear model makeup and you know what? For me, I'm happy this way. I would never hope for beauty to get my foot in a door, if my brain couldn't support me.

Looks only get you so far.

I won't call myself a natural beauty at all but to answer the question, I have noticed when I am thinner and look what people might call "pretty" I know I get better service in shops, people smile more at me and are also alot more patient

i have always been friends with people all shapes and sizes and on different levels on the looks scale. Ive never felt pretty and i never had a bf til i was 20. In hs, i never had a date or ever had anyone ask me out, i only went to one dance my senior prom and i even cried because i wasn't even asked to dance once. But my senior year i was talking to a group of people i knew and they all said though they thought i had a bf from a differnt school(which i was totally shocked by!). Then i told them actually i dont have a bf, and they were shocked which i thought was funny and shocking haha They said that they couldnt believe that because i was pretty, had one of the best personalities, smart, and very funny. which made me smile inside :smile: When i turned 18 though guys came out from eveywhere and would hit on me, and it was actually at times to hard to handle. I had so many phone numbers i didnt know what to do with. IT was actually really weird and at times made me very uncomfortable... That strangers would just come up to me and are like hi my name is so and so and start talking to me and a few minutes later they would hand me their phone number and say call me sometime? This happened from when i was 18 to 19 all the time. I got my first kiss though at 18 and half by ethan(Who ended up having a gf, grrrr!!). But anyways, i think beauty can get you more in life but it also can hurt you. I rather be kind of pretty, average body and have a great personality and intelligence, then to be drop dead gorgeous a great body and a crappy personality. I think i have my pretty days and my ugly days, but i have no confidence most of the time in myself, so if i really wanted something like a certain job i never went after it, and i have no idea if i would have gotten things over other girls... I dont think i am really pretty at all, but some how i am known as the pretty girl as sears with a fashion sense and great personality. I think though people are attracted to me at my work and in general from my personality, not how i look. I was taught that it was better and more important to have a better personality then just looks alone, and to be happy with myself no matter how i looked, and treat others how i would like to be treated. I dont think i really ever hated anyone, and i try my best to be everyones friend, even to the ones people seem to pick on for no reason, since i was that person growing up in elementary school that was picked on. but i was so emotional that it was easy for them to pick on me i guess to feel better about themselves.... but anyways...

I won't call myself a natural beauty at all but to answer the question, I have noticed when I am thinner and look what people might call "pretty" I know I get better service in shops, people smile more at me and are also alot more patient

Totally agree..and while the attention gotten when thinner and more put together is flattering, I can never get over the hypocricy of these people. It actually makes me a bit sick.

I agree with above, when your thinner and pretty people seem to treat you better.. and at times it kind of pisses me off, becaue people should be treated the same no matter what they look like... :sad:

I guess some people consider me attractive. I've been approached by model scouts before, etc.

Anyway, right now where I am, I do get a lot of male attention. I think this is partially due to the fact that there are not many women here, and the ones here are not considered that attractive. Frankly, I have never felt more belittled in my life. Some people act like I am stupid. More treat me like a trophy. So being "popular" has not been that pleasant for me.

Regardless, I did get some opportunities that I otherwise would not have gotten. It is hard to say if it is solely based on what I look like, but opportunities do seem reveal themselves a lot around me.

It's hindered me all my life. From school to doctors, it seems that no matter what I learned and knew, I could never get anything more than menial jobs because they couldn't get past my nose, hair or clothing. Not that it matters now, although I do think it colors the doctor's perception of me as well.

Can't do anything about it now, those who do know me like me.

aawww speedy how harsh are you being to yourself!!!! Even from that tiny pic on your avatar I can see you are no monster!!

And what does it mean "not that I can do anything about it now".... every time I put on lip gloss I feel a new woman!! Heh!!

Ohhh speedy... that post had made me sad.

well Peedy fortunately I can read into who people are very well, and we all know that looks always come to pass. So I am glad that you are such a beautiful person on the inside, I could care less what you look like on the outside because you are a good friend regardless of your packaging.

Aww, thanks Coco and Candice. It's hard to see all the physical defects in such a small picture. I grew my hair super-long to detract from my face, and it works most of the time.

But there's more you can't see... but I won't diss myself further. You all know me only from my posts. I know I'm intelligent, but in this day and age, that's not enough for all I was qualified to do.

Aww, thanks Coco and Candice. It's hard to see all the physical defects in such a small picture. I grew my hair super-long to detract from my face, and it works most of the time.

But there's more you can't see... but I won't diss myself further. You all know me only from my posts. I know I'm intelligent, but in this day and age, that's not enough for all I was qualified to do.

well ya know what, whoever isn't giving you opportunities based on your supposed "defects" (which i highly doubt anyone worth calling a decent human being would judge even a fraction as harshly as you judge yourself)...ultimately that's the person who is losing out. losing a good mind, a good worker, a great personality, whatever opportunity is they're denying you. we all know how cool you are, i believe in higher powers in the universe and i believe those powers can see how cool you are too ;) so, the jackasses turning you down are the ones losing out. i know that probably sounds super cheesey or whatever, but it makes perfect sense to me. and it's the truth. so, don't diss yourself. just feel sorry for the idiots who don't know any better, they're losing something we all know here is great:tup:

some days i feel like i am pretty decent looking, other days i feel like i'm verging on bad looking, and then there are times in which i question any perception of any kind that i might have ever had of myself.

You and I are the same creature- some days I see myself in the mirror and think "damn I'm actually good looking!" and other days I don't want to leave the house because I find myself unattractive and can't imagine other people seeing me that way (It's never actually stopped me from doing anything but it's still weird to think about how others see you).