Vintage Coach Photos & Chat

Vinegar dunk, sunshine, fresh air, obenaufs oil (which smells great but fades a few days later), deactivated charcoal, paper, right now I put some dry tea leaves in it. It's been at least a month since the original wash. It smells like it was buried with a dead body in the cemetary then dug up and sold on ebay... well okay not that bad. More like just old moldy handbag.

Vinegar dunk, sunshine, fresh air, obenaufs oil (which smells great but fades a few days later), deactivated charcoal, paper, right now I put some dry tea leaves in it. It's been at least a month since the original wash. It smells like it was buried with a dead body in the cemetary then dug up and sold on ebay... well okay not that bad. More like just old moldy handbag.
Well, you have already done a lot to it!

This is risky, but I have done it as a last resort in desperate situations when nothing else has worked. I have sprayed Tilex with Bleach cleaner inside of stinky, dirty bags. I quickly rinse it out and then dunk the bag in soapy Dawn water and then rinse with clean water. Chlorine is bleach and it can stain or streak colors so you have to work fast. Even though bleach has a strong, unpleasant smell - it does smell clean - and I find that preferable to a nasty, moldy smell. The bleach smell does eventually fade.

You could try applying Tilex with Bleach to an obscure spot inside the bag to see what happens before treating the entire inside surface. If the bleach discolors the bag you could always have it dyed later. I have used it to scrub and scrub both the outside and inside of a light-colored bag that was very dirty and it cleaned the bag but didn't damage it, just an idea!

Last edited:
I just bought a larger New York City courier bag, minus the strap! Going to give it a serious rehab. :smile: Does anyone know what other style's strap might be compatible? I'm thinking: stewardess.
Follow up! Seller told me it didn't have a strap and then she sent me one, only it's in real bad shape. Here's how it compares in length to an equally decrepit stewardess strap. The stewardess is the same width but about 3 in longer.

Attachments

• 20240320_135719.jpg
    20240320_135719.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Tilis and whateve
Well, you have already done a lot to it!

This is risky, but I have done it as a last resort in desperate situations when nothing else has worked. I have sprayed Tilex with Bleach cleaner inside of stinky, dirty bags. I quickly rinse it out and then dunk the bag in soapy Dawn water and then rinse with clean water. Chlorine is bleach and it can stain or streak colors so you have to work fast. Even though bleach has a strong, unpleasant smell - it does smell clean - and I find that preferable to a nasty, moldy smell. The bleach smell does eventually fade.

You could try applying Tilex with Bleach to an obscure spot inside the bag to see what happens before treating the entire inside surface. If the bleach discolors the bag you could always have it dyed later. I have used it to scrub and scrub both the outside and inside of a light-colored bag that was very dirty and it cleaned the bag but didn't damage it, just an idea!
That does sound very scary! I have heard you can super dilute bleach in a bath for quick mold and smell removal but I'm too scared. The leather is already a little crunchy. I'm actually considering febreeze fabric spray.

Reactions: katev
Follow up! Seller told me it didn't have a strap and then she sent me one, only it's in real bad shape. Here's how it compares in length to an equally decrepit stewardess strap. The stewardess is the same width but about 3 in longer.
There's a lot of bags with that same width stap. The crescent bag also shoulder length or crossbody you could do a Janice, Patricia? or duffle. I just discovered this recently at somebody else's suggestion here.

A bag friend once sent me a link to this:

The description looks promising:

“This product claims to be the best at eliminating, (not just covering up) all organic odors - including, but not limited to the Singer Featherweight Case. We've even tested it on odoriferous vehicles, shoes, pet smells, strong cooking odors, etc. It's even been tested in mortuaries! It can be sprayed, poured or wiped directly on the source of the odor.”

For $9 plus free US shipping, it might be worth a try 🤷🏻‍♀️. Unfortunately I don’t have any personal experience with the product.

A bag friend once sent me a link to this:

The description looks promising:

“This product claims to be the best at eliminating, (not just covering up) all organic odors - including, but not limited to the Singer Featherweight Case. We've even tested it on odoriferous vehicles, shoes, pet smells, strong cooking odors, etc. It's even been tested in mortuaries! It can be sprayed, poured or wiped directly on the source of the odor.”

For $9 plus free US shipping, it might be worth a try 🤷🏻‍♀️. Unfortunately I don’t have any personal experience with the product.
That sounds promising. I wonder also about enzyme spray like you use on cat pee. I have some already just haven't worked up the courage to try it.

Reactions: Coachaddict4020