Vintage Coach Photos & Chat

I just read what happened to @ConnieinSeattle with her shopgoodwill bag on the authentication thread and I'm really feeling for her. The same thing happened to me back in December, when I purchased this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394927627011 at a good price and a color I really liked a lot. Alas, like with Connie, they did not ship and did not ship and eventually just gave me my money back, when I was going to turn it over to ebay. I also believe they put my purse up for "cheap", then changed their mind.

I just read what happened to @ConnieinSeattle with her shopgoodwill bag on the authentication thread and I'm really feeling for her. The same thing happened to me back in December, when I purchased this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394927627011 at a good price and a color I really liked a lot. Alas, like with Connie, they did not ship and did not ship and eventually just gave me my money back, when I was going to turn it over to ebay. I also believe they put my purse up for "cheap", then changed their mind.
It's all pretty strange. (And maddening.) I actually already have a British Tan 5266 Briefcase, and when I compared it to the item which arrived yesterday, there were many differences in stitching and hardware attachment. I jumped to the conclusion it was counterfeit. Which, apparently, it is not. However, it's not what I ordered. I ordered a more modern Coach item, a man's Explorer travel bag in sport calf leather.

Reactions: KiltyR45 and Tilis
It's all pretty strange. (And maddening.) I actually already have a British Tan 5266 Briefcase, and when I compared it to the item which arrived yesterday, there were many differences in stitching and hardware attachment. I jumped to the conclusion it was counterfeit. Which, apparently, it is not. However, it's not what I ordered. I ordered a more modern Coach item, a man's Explorer travel bag in sport calf leather.

I think that the bag you received is a vintage briefcase, similar to but not exactly the same, as a black Lexington Briefcase 5265 that I rehabbed several years ago, see the links below.

It was a gorgeous bag and it rehabbed well, but you mentioned that the one you received didn't have a strap so that's a big problem - and it's not what you wanted so maybe it would be best to get a refund and start over? Good luck!

Black Lexington Briefcase 5265 Before:

Black Lexington Briefcase 5265 After:

Last edited:
I saw that and on top of it not being what you ordered, if they want it back, even if they pay postage, it still is a major hassle to send it back :sad: .

I love my vintage items, but occasionally, a more modern bag catches my eye. Here's what I bought (I think!). An "Explorer Bag in Sport Calf Leather." My husband and I are going on a vacation in a few weeks and I wanted to bring this. Oh, well. They sent me a vintage briefcase instead. :smile:

That's a beautiful bag and there is nothing wrong with wanting to own a modern bag. I like some vintage and I like some modern styles. I enjoy rehabbing bags but I also love bringing home a new, perfect bag!

Sometimes I've been disaapointed because I didn't get a bag that I had my heart on, but then I try to remember the other times when I've been completely surprised and delighted to discover an unexpected treasure!

Just look forward to having a wonderful vacation with your husband and don't worry about the bag, things usually work out and the next unexpected treasure may be coming soon!

Last edited:
I love my vintage items, but occasionally, a more modern bag catches my eye. Here's what I bought (I think!). An "Explorer Bag in Sport Calf Leather." My husband and I are going on a vacation in a few weeks and I wanted to bring this. Oh, well. They sent me a vintage briefcase instead. :smile:
Enjoy your vacation despite the bag kerfuffle. Did goodwill ever reply to your real-bag inquiry ? I only own 3 "recent" bags. On 2 of them. the Hampton tote and the Park, the leather is nowhere near of the quality of my vintage bags (USA, Costa Rica etc), and I do not yet know how my most recent "Cassie" will stand up to use. The leather on the Cassie feels/looks better, but we shall see.

Last edited:
Did goodwill ever reply to your real-bag inquiry ?
It's what I figured all along. They "can't find" the nice bag I purchased. I guess I knew they would never really sell it to me for the price listed. It was too good to be true. They want me to return the vintage briefcase. Then, and only then, they would issue a refund. I think I'll just keep the vintage briefcase. For anyone who wants to avoid these shady people, it's Goodwill of North Florida.

It's what I figured all along. They "can't find" the nice bag I purchased. I guess I knew they would never really sell it to me for the price listed. It was too good to be true. They want me to return the vintage briefcase. Then, and only then, they would issue a refund. I think I'll just keep the vintage briefcase. For anyone who wants to avoid these shady people, it's Goodwill of North Florida.
This happened to me back in September, but it was on GWF. I purchased a vintage D&B Gundelta, and the order sat at processing for over a week. I emailed GWF c/s to inquire and the next day my order was cancelled. Then a few weeks later, I’m scrolling GWF, and lo and behold there’s a new listing for the D&B Gundelta.

Let’s see if the duffel gets relisted in a week or two …

1710601175316.jpeg

Enjoy your vacation despite the bag kerfuffle. Did goodwill ever reply to your real-bag inquiry ? I only own 3 "recent" bags. On 2 of them. the Hampton tote and the Park, the leather is nowhere near of the quality of my vintage bags (USA, Costa Rica etc), and I do not yet know how my most recent "Cassie" will stand up to use. The leather on the Cassie feels/looks better, but we shall see.
I’ve been wondering how the modern Coach bags hold up. I think some of the new styles are absolutely adorable. I recently got a card holder, and i thought it was Saffiano, but its cross grain leather.

@mushroomNgrass was telling me about their newer bags, as she has some in her collection. She mentioned that the Rogue is their popular bag right now. I saw this Rogue on ShopGoodwill, and I’m very curious how the new glovetanned leather is.

I’ve been wondering how the modern Coach bags hold up. I think some of the new styles are absolutely adorable. I recently got a card holder, and i thought it was Saffiano, but its cross grain leather.

@mushroomNgrass was telling me about their newer bags, as she has some in her collection. She mentioned that the Rogue is their popular bag right now. I saw this Rogue on ShopGoodwill, and I’m very curious how the new glovetanned leather is.

Catching up here. I agree, there are many non-vintage, recent and current bags that I have seen in Macy's, retail stores, consignment shops and my full grain, vintage loving heart will admit are quite nice. But at the end of the day, I like something for under $75 and maybe showing some evidence of wear so I don't have to worry about that first ding!
I stopped in a GW today that gets a fair amount of Coach from 2005 to 2010. A lot of khaki Signature bags. There were at least 3 black totes from 2007 and 2008 and I have to say I was impressed with the leather. I like to go there when I am in that neck of the woods. I feel like it's my best chance for an interesting vintage Coach that won't get sent to shopGW.

I have a lot of modern Coach bags. I'm a sucker for some of the gorgeous styles and colors. Quality varies. Some aren't great and others are. I have a bag from 2013 that is indestructible. The pebbled leather is thick and chewy and it has never shown any signs of wear. I have other bags with leather that is different from vintage Coach but still wonderful, both smooth and pebbled. Mostly I'm very happy with my purchases. I don't own a Rogue. It's not my style. I considered the smaller size but don't care for the skinny straps. My most recent bag is the Cassie 19 in faded blue. I stay away from the more expensive bags and most bags I buy are on sale.

I have a lot of modern Coach bags. I'm a sucker for some of the gorgeous styles and colors. Quality varies. Some aren't great and others are. I have a bag from 2013 that is indestructible. The pebbled leather is thick and chewy and it has never shown any signs of wear. I have other bags with leather that is different from vintage Coach but still wonderful, both smooth and pebbled. Mostly I'm very happy with my purchases. I don't own a Rogue. It's not my style. I considered the smaller size but don't care for the skinny straps. My most recent bag is the Cassie 19 in faded blue. I stay away from the more expensive bags and most bags I buy are on sale.
They’ve really stepped up their game! Even the guy that butchers luxury bags, liked Coach leather. I really like all the different colors & styles they offer. I was looking through their website last night, and saw they launched a whole checkboard pattern on their bags - reminded me of Vans.

Since you have a lot of newer Coach bags, how do the colors wear over time? I recently got a (preloved) Minkoff Julian backpack, and as I was cleaning it the color was rubbing off. 😭😵

Last edited:
They’ve really stepped up their game! Even the guy that butchers luxury bags, liked Coach leather. I really like all the different colors & styles they offer. I was looking through their website last night, and saw they launched a whole checkboard pattern on their bags - reminded me of Vans.

Since you have a lot of newer Coach bags, how do the colors wear over time? I recently got a (preloved) Minkoff Julian backpack, and as I was cleaning it the color was rubbing off. 😭😵
It varies from bag to bag. Some lines are notorious for fading and others hold up well. The 2012 Legacy duffles had gorgeous colors but they don't hold up well at all but other bags from the same line had different leather and held up wonderfully.

I also love, love the colors on the newer bags, as well as some of the newer styles. And after seeing my regular Cassie, I'm tempted by the 19 as well. Waffling, waffling, something I do well :smile: .