Beware - LV refused to give me a refund

Fefeinc10

Jul 7, 2015
Hi everyone. I just wanted to share my story about LV refusing to give me a refund to warn others. I ordered two items from LV online back in October 2021. I decided not to keep either one and used the prepaid UPS label to return both items. I noticed that after a few days I received a confirmation for the strap but not the wallet I returned. I checked the UPS tracking and both were marked as accepted and received. I figured it might just take a while longer. A week went by with no confirmation email so I emailed LV customer service. I was told that LV found that the box with the wallet was empty and decided to open an investigation with UPS on my behalf. I was told it takes 14 days to complete the investigation. So I waited the 14 days and heard nothing. So this time I called and the LV rep reassured me that they are still waiting on a response and normally customers get their money back. So another couple of weeks go by and nothing. So I call again and was told that UPS needed the delivery receipt. So I provide the receipt and more weeks go by and nothing. Yet again I contact LV and they tell me that they also need the drop off receipt. I provide that as well and ---you guessed it, weeks go by and nothing. At this point I decide to open a dispute with my credit card. After months of back and forth, LV told my bank they refuse to refund me and my bank decided to just close the investigation.

I've been an LV customer for many years with a great purchasing history and never any suspicious activity or high volume of returns. None of that matters and now I'm out $800 dollars. I am just thankful it wasn't for a bag that costs thousands but at this point, I won't be shopping at LV anymore even though I love their items.

Hi everyone. I just wanted to share my story about LV refusing to give me a refund to warn others. I ordered two items from LV online back in October 2021. I decided not to keep either one and used the prepaid UPS label to return both items. I noticed that after a few days I received a confirmation for the strap but not the wallet I returned. I checked the UPS tracking and both were marked as accepted and received. I figured it might just take a while longer. A week went by with no confirmation email so I emailed LV customer service. I was told that LV found that the box with the wallet was empty and decided to open an investigation with UPS on my behalf. I was told it takes 14 days to complete the investigation. So I waited the 14 days and heard nothing. So this time I called and the LV rep reassured me that they are still waiting on a response and normally customers get their money back. So another couple of weeks go by and nothing. So I call again and was told that UPS needed the delivery receipt. So I provide the receipt and more weeks go by and nothing. Yet again I contact LV and they tell me that they also need the drop off receipt. I provide that as well and ---you guessed it, weeks go by and nothing. At this point I decide to open a dispute with my credit card. After months of back and forth, LV told my bank they refuse to refund me and my bank decided to just close the investigation.

I've been an LV customer for many years with a great purchasing history and never any suspicious activity or high volume of returns. None of that matters and now I'm out $800 dollars. I am just thankful it wasn't for a bag that costs thousands but at this point, I won't be shopping at LV anymore even though I love their items.

This is awful! If you are in the UK you need to go back to your credit card company. If you can’t get the money back from LV then you have a right to claim from the credit card company and they are not allowed to just turn it down like that. I’d threaten them with the financial ombudsman. Here is the law and suggestions from money supermarket:

Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, you’re covered by credit card purchase protection if you use your card to buy goods or services such as a computer, an item of furniture, a car, flights or a holiday that costs over £100 and up to £30,000.
Section 75 means that by law the credit card company has equal responsibility (or ‘liability’) with the seller if there’s a problem with the things you’ve bought or the company you’ve bought them from goes bust.
If your goods haven’t arrived, or they’re damaged and you want to make a claim for credit card purchase protection, here’s how you go about it:
1. Contact the company you made the purchase from by following the complaints procedure on their website. Often there will be a link to a complaints form.
2. If you’re unhappy with the response or they don’t respond or offer a refund, contact your credit card company to make the claim:
State that you’re making a claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
Include copies of receipts as proof of purchase and any emails or letters you’ve sent to the company you purchased from
Ask for the full amount you paid or the cost of repairing the item if it's faulty.

If you try to claim through Section 75 and you don't receive your money back, you can ask the Financial Ombudsman Service to look at your case.
The Financial Ombudsman Service is independent and will reach a decision it thinks is fair after looking at all the facts. But this doesn’t guarantee you’ll get your money back.

This is awful! If you are in the UK you need to go back to your credit card company. If you can’t get the money back from LV then you have a right to claim from the credit card company and they are not allowed to just turn it down like that. I’d threaten them with the financial ombudsman. Here is the law and suggestions from money supermarket:

Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, you’re covered by credit card purchase protection if you use your card to buy goods or services such as a computer, an item of furniture, a car, flights or a holiday that costs over £100 and up to £30,000.
Section 75 means that by law the credit card company has equal responsibility (or ‘liability’) with the seller if there’s a problem with the things you’ve bought or the company you’ve bought them from goes bust.
If your goods haven’t arrived, or they’re damaged and you want to make a claim for credit card purchase protection, here’s how you go about it:
1. Contact the company you made the purchase from by following the complaints procedure on their website. Often there will be a link to a complaints form.
2. If you’re unhappy with the response or they don’t respond or offer a refund, contact your credit card company to make the claim:
State that you’re making a claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
Include copies of receipts as proof of purchase and any emails or letters you’ve sent to the company you purchased from
Ask for the full amount you paid or the cost of repairing the item if it's faulty.

If you try to claim through Section 75 and you don't receive your money back, you can ask the Financial Ombudsman Service to look at your case.
The Financial Ombudsman Service is independent and will reach a decision it thinks is fair after looking at all the facts. But this doesn’t guarantee you’ll get your money back.

Thank you for the info! I'm actually in the US. Maybe there is something equivalent legally for me to pursue.

I'm sorry this happened. Always purchase in store when possible. Also, film yourself when you're opening or packing a package. I know that LVMH has video recordings of their workers opening and packing things. They must have it on video that when they opened the box that it was empty and that's why your bank closed the investigation. I'm in no way implying that you didn't send it. Someone probably took it after it left you and before it got to LV.

Reactions: Critzie and Loriad
Wow, I am so sorry this is happening to you. I would be devastated. That's a lot of money to "eat" and I wouldn't let it go. This is not your fault and is your bank refunding you the money, or since they closed it are they not giving it to you as well?

Thank you. My bank told me they are just closing the investigation since LV refuses and I'm not getting a credit from the bank either. I was honestly appalled because I sent all the evidence that I returned the item and the package was accepted to the bank. I don't even want to use my credit card from that bank anymore either.

I'm sorry this happened. Always purchase in store when possible. Also, film yourself when you're opening or packing a package. I know that LVMH has video recordings of their workers opening and packing things. They must have it on video that when they opened the box that it was empty and that's why your bank closed the investigation. I'm in no way implying that you didn't send it. Someone probably took it after it left you and before it got to LV.

Yes, my guess is that it must've gone missing while with UPS. I'm not even sure filming would help. I think also having a credit card with a good bank that will fight for you is important too.

Yes, my guess is that it must've gone missing while with UPS. I'm not even sure filming would help. I think also having a credit card with a good bank that will fight for you is important too.
Absolutely, but if LV has it on tape that when they opened it and it was empty, there's not much your bank can do.:sad:

Absolutely, but if LV has it on tape that when they opened it and it was empty, there's not much your bank can do.:sad:
Oh I see. Yeah that makes sense. My bank didn't say there was footage though. LV actually lied at first and claimed the refund was already given and then the second update was just a refusal. I can probably get more details once I call my bank but definitely wanted to give a warning for others when dealing with these expensive items online.

Oh I see. Yeah that makes sense. My bank didn't say there was footage though. LV actually lied at first and claimed the refund was already given and then the second update was just a refusal. I can probably get more details once I call my bank but definitely wanted to give a warning for others when dealing with these expensive items online.
Thanks for the heads up. I know this must suck. Sending you positive vibes and hoping that you get your money back.

I'm so sorry this happened to you!
Does your UPS receipt have the weight of the package on it? I don't know what size the wallet was but it should weigh more than an empty package. You should be able to use that information to try your claim again.
For future purchases, consider using an American Express card because Amex is very consumer friendly. I don't dispute things very often but I've received a refund the few times I've filed a claim.

I'm so sorry this happened to you!
Does your UPS receipt have the weight of the package on it? I don't know what size the wallet was but it should weigh more than an empty package. You should be able to use that information to try your claim again.
For future purchases, consider using an American Express card because Amex is very consumer friendly. I don't dispute things very often but I've received a refund the few times I've filed a claim.
this. The weight upon receipt by the transport facility is proof you didn’t send an empty box