Travel SAN FRANCISCO tips - questions - advice

I'm going to SF this summer for the first time. I will be spending July 4th there. Does anyone have recommendations or tips as to where I should view fireworks? Thanks in advance!
I used to work at pier 39. That's a pretty good place to see the fireworks. Not sure if it's too late now but if u can eat at Neptune's (if they r still there) and watch the fireworks from there, the view is pretty nice. The downside is its a pain in the ass to leave the area after. One year my friends went down there and was trying to leave the parking garage afterwards but couldn't cuz everyone was trying to leave at the same time. The buses stop going there after a certain time too.

I used to work at pier 39. That's a pretty good place to see the fireworks. Not sure if it's too late now but if u can eat at Neptune's (if they r still there) and watch the fireworks from there, the view is pretty nice. The downside is its a pain in the ass to leave the area after. One year my friends went down there and was trying to leave the parking garage afterwards but couldn't cuz everyone was trying to leave at the same time. The buses stop going there after a certain time too.

We booked a boat cruise for Monday night! Very excited. Thanks for the suggestion tho. [emoji1]

I haven't thought a lot about how we will be returning to the hotel. I have my whole day planned from getting off the plane to getting to boat cruise. I really should write down the public transportation times. Too used to having public transportation 24/7. Maybe we can uber/ taxi back. I imagine a lot of people trying to get home at the same time. With the time difference and early flight, I'm sure we will be exhausted. [emoji16]

We booked a boat cruise for Monday night! Very excited. Thanks for the suggestion tho. [emoji1]

I haven't thought a lot about how we will be returning to the hotel. I have my whole day planned from getting off the plane to getting to boat cruise. I really should write down the public transportation times. Too used to having public transportation 24/7. Maybe we can uber/ taxi back. I imagine a lot of people trying to get home at the same time. With the time difference and early flight, I'm sure we will be exhausted. [emoji16]
Check the weather, they're saying there may be fog cover for the fireworks show. If they shoot them below the fog, should be OK.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Forecast-for-SF-fireworks-show-still-cloudy-8336432.php

Thanks for the heads up. We bought the tickets ahead of time so we will still go. Hopefully it won't be terribly disappointing. I'm crossing my fingers!

When we lived there years ago we would take our sailboat out for the fireworks. Even if it's foggy, the colors and sounds still come through. It's a festive time to be on the bay and in SF, so enjoy no matter the weather!

Reactions: pbnjam
i live in SF and i think if you want old classic SF on a hill, pretty inconvenient and can't walk anywhere, you can stay at the fairmont. but if you want modern and new and in the middle of everything, stay at the st regis in soma. loveeeeeee it there, so pretty!!!!

Hi! Fellow SoCal resident here about to spend a week in SF!
I was wondering what I should do when I'm up in the Bay! Any recommendations on food, things to do and see would be helpful! :confused1:
I already have Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's, and Palace of Fine Arts on my list!

Also, any advice on what clothes to wear and bring?! I looked at the weather and it's going to be in the 60's! I'm so used to the 90's here in San Diego... :-s

I realize that this is a very old thread... We will be in San Francisco in April. We will be driving in. Can anyone recommend a good hotel or a good area to stay in? Any areas that we should avoid? I am not looking for luxury, my priority is cleanliness. This is our first visit to SF and we will be there for about a week. Any suggestions for dining will be greatly appreciated also!

I realize that this is a very old thread... We will be in San Francisco in April. We will be driving in. Can anyone recommend a good hotel or a good area to stay in? Any areas that we should avoid? I am not looking for luxury, my priority is cleanliness. This is our first visit to SF and we will be there for about a week. Any suggestions for dining will be greatly appreciated also!
Born and raised in SF and happy to help! I am a huge foodie; what kind of food do y'all like and at what price point?

Reactions: lorihmatthews
Born and raised in SF and happy to help! I am a huge foodie; what kind of food do y'all like and at what price point?
Hi! We like all Asian food, Italian, and seafood. Do you have any recommendations for Chinatown as we will be looking around there? Lower and medium price point suggestions are welcome as we are traveling in casual clothes (nice jeans, sweaters) and won't be dressed up. We enjoy locally owned neighborhood restaurants.
Is there an Italian area in SF?

Hi! We like all Asian food, Italian, and seafood. Do you have any recommendations for Chinatown as we will be looking around there? Lower and medium price point suggestions are welcome as we are traveling in casual clothes (nice jeans, sweaters) and won't be dressed up. We enjoy locally owned neighborhood restaurants.
Is there an Italian area in SF?
Most folks dress casual to somewhat casual in sf—the only time you see guys in suits is because they’re coming off work and they don’t have time to change…

chinatown, north beach (Italian) and downtown imho are walking distance.

Chinatown, I’m not super familiar with but r&g lounge I’ve been to because both Asian folks and Caucasian folks (tech and non tech like) loves it there… particularly for the fried crab? I’m not a huge seafood fan but they love it. I’ve also been to Sam Wo and it’s good.

I am a fan of Mason Nico which is between financial district and north beach.

Asian, Italian and seafood—there are a lot of Michelin star or Michelin recommended spots in SF you can look for but personally I like akiko (the one on Kearny, more expensive but no need to wear fancy, it’s family own with fresh fish flown in, I hear). Irish bank is next door which is always a good spot for beer.

house of pancake (super in the hole Chinese spot) is a bit out of the way (near taravel and 19th) and cash only but I love it. Can feed lots for really cheap (at least sf wise).

japantown there’s jina bakes which has delicious baked goods (open weekends only afaik for now). And daeho is near (delicious beef stew with the ability to add cheese on melted for gooeiness goodness).

italian around Chinatown/downtown/north beach: fiorella Polk, Italian homemade company and personal fav cotogna. If you’re in north beach Liguria is also worth a visit, right across mama’s (good monte cristo for brunch) and St. Peter and Paul (pretty church) and then down another street is the Victoria bakery (moved from Chinatown and Stella the sister bakery is still in between Chinatown/north beach). Liguria is 3 generations family owned. They’re like golden gate bakery (must visit for the egg tarts) where they take long vacations because they can and they close early when they sell out which happens more often then you’d think.

if you’re able to, I feel house of prime rib is a must visit, but reservations are tough.

plow is also a beloved brunch spot, the lemon ricotta is where it’s at.

foreign cinema and beretta (mission) are also locally loved and nearby is tartine bakery, craftsman and wolves… if you’re into sweets.

there’s a lot but if I were in sf for only a few days, I’d hit up those.

oh and joes in westlake! Not sf but definitely a local beloved spot, they did open a mini joe satellite spot in west portal.

and tofu house in Richmond district… but personally imho manna in sunset is very good too.

palette tea house in Ghirardelli square is somewhat new, not exactly mom and pop but decent dimsum twist.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PANda_USC

Make sure you go to the Rotunda for lunch! Great view of Union Square, located in Neiman Marcus. Best lobster club sandwich. Book a reservation.

My favorite local Italian place is Ti Piacera. Local, family owned.
My other favorite is Nob Hill Cafe. If you go there, get there right at 6pm as they don't take reservations. They are two blocks from the Fairmont.

Bob's Donuts has the best. They are within walking distance on the same street as Ti Piacera.

For a fun cocktail hour, go to the Tonga Room in the Fairmont Hotel. For swanky cocktails, go across the street to the Top of the Mark in the Mark Hopkins Hotel. For old-school cocktails, to to the Big Four.

Avoid the Tenderloin area, use common sense, don't walk alone late at night.