Insecure HBO series starring Issa Rae

ClassicFab

the shade of it all
O.G.
Jun 2, 2011
Didn't see a thread on this...mods please delete if this is a duplicate. Is anyone watching Insecure on HBO? I'm loving it so far. I've been a fan of Issa's since her YouTube days and am really happy for all her success. She had some other YouTubers sprinkled in the show as well :tup:. Anyone else watching?

slate.com
Issa Rae’s Insecure Is the Most Honest, Matter-of-Fact Take on Dating That We’ve Seen in a While
By Willa Paskin

In the first episode of Insecure, Issa, played by Issa Rae, the co-creator and the star of the new HBO show, imagines a white colleague lecturing her about romance. “Educated black woman are highly unlikely to get married the more education they have,” this poltergeist tells Issa, in the middle of a staff meeting. “On the bright side, many black woman are work-focused and find happiness in their careers. But then there are a small percentage of pathetic women who have neither. They are purposeless.” Issa, a college-educated Los Angelina who works for the nearly all-white educational nonprofit “We Got Y’all,” is considering ending her long-term relationship and so particularly susceptible to this anxiety. Insecure looks it right in the face, a prestige comedy that takes wanting to be in a relationship as seriously as relationships themselves.

Rae is the creator of the beloved web series The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl and has been trying to translate that to television for some years now, before co-creating Insecure with Larry Wilmore. As the title of her web series suggested, there is something of the superhero about Issa: not a superpower so much as a secret identity, a jokey, friendly exterior that belies a churning mind. Rae brings this quality to Insecure, where a running conceit has her rapping fiery pep talks to herself in the mirror, which she mostly ignores. Readying herself for a night out, she tries on multiple lipsticks, each inspiring a different personality, before selecting exactly none. She describes herself as “aggressively passive” and avoids conflict even when it would simplify things. She ignores uncomfortable situations and text messages. She nearly breaks up with her boyfriend but refuses to have a clarifying conversation with him when he spots her in a Rite Aid.

Co-starring in Insecure is Issa’s college best friend Molly (Yvonne Orji), a high-powered lawyer who grew up as a self-described “hood rat.” Molly, Issa tells us in voice-over, is beloved by both black and white people, as the camera shows her code-switching with the dexterity of a World War II morse-code operator. Insecure stars black characters who deal with white people largely as a professional necessity—just one of the things it shares this with Atlanta, Donald Glover’s new auteurist series on FX. Both shows feature a protagonist that white people nonetheless feel comfortable with: In the first episode of Atlanta, a white man nonchalantly uses the N-word with Glover’s character. Issa’s colleagues ask her what on fleek means, and in the show’s opening scene, a classroom full of kids wonders why Issa sounds so white and makes fun of her natural hair.

Insecure takes on racism directly, largely in a professional context. Issa’s white colleagues take to emailing behind her back about a project she is in charge of; Molly’s boss asks her to speak with a summer associate who refuses to code-switch. But just by being about black people living their lives, Insecure shows us, for example, a much more expansive Los Angeles than the claustrophobic one seen in white comedies set in Silver Lake (Casual, Togetherness, You’re the Worst, parts of Transparent). Issa and Molly brunch at hipster spots too, but Molly grew up around Florence and Crenshaw; Issa’s apartment is in Inglewood, near the old Forum. Theirs is a much bigger, more diverse L.A.

Read more on slate: Issa Rae's Insecure

I had never heard of her but am thrilled based on what you all have shared. I saw the first episode on demand and it was hilarious! I really loved it. There was a ton of profanity that I didn't really care for but other than that, I enjoyed. Will continue to tune it.

Reactions: ClassicFab
Reactions: 1249dcnative
I'm happy to support her. I loved her YouTube show and saw the first episode of Insecure...thought it was great. I'm happy that HBO took a chance on this show because I found it quite relatable and funny. I can't wait for the season to start.

Me too! I love her rap sessions in the bathroom lol. This has been a long time coming for Issa; I hope the show does well.

I had never heard of her but am thrilled based on what you all have shared. I saw the first episode on demand and it was hilarious! I really loved it. There was a ton of profanity that I didn't really care for but other than that, I enjoyed. Will continue to tune it.

Happy to share! :yes:

I really liked it but I have the same concern I have about SJP's new show that Issa and Molly are going to carry the show and the supporting cast isn't going to be worth anything.

I followed this link and watched the whole first season and so far the first few in the second season. Some of the funniest, laugh out loud material I've seen in a long time. The characters are hilarious. And Issa is very endearing.
I'm not normally a person who promotes someone else's projects that I can't capitalize on but she's funny and endearing like you said.

OMG this week's episode left me feeling some type of way!. I'm so disappointed in Issa...ugh!

And the bank teller is doing too much....too disrespectful!

Molly needs to get herself together. She was so quick to drop Jared and these dudes in the league keep dropping her lmao!

The bank teller was too much, she had her girls sitting at attention :lol:

I agree about Molly and Jidenna. I never realized how attractive/sexy he was.

Lol it's a trap!! I thought the same thing about that and his booty too. I love this show!!!