MJ Chat Thread

Dang...really? I'm so sorry. Stress and sickness don't lend themselves to peak performance.

Oh, I'm so sorry! I just saw your post, so I wasn't able to send positive healing vibes down the coast to you earlier today. Do you know for sure that it went badly, or are you assuming? :sad:

Aww, faith; maybe it didn't go as badly as you thought? Concentrate on getting better; we are all here for you. [emoji253]

Thank you, guys :smile:

I don't know what made me think it was something I could do.

It was for police dispatch, which is actually highly stressful. That's just the perfect job for someone who has had a base line stress level of 110% for the last two years.

I don't hear very well. I have no idea why. Doctors told my mother I was deaf as a baby, but every hearing test I've ever had done later on found nothing wrong. Whatever. Anyway, I rely a lot on visuals to understand people. I can't read lips but I can piece things together (about 85% of the time) by watching lip movement and concluding the logical words.

So the test was heavily audio and having to enter in the information spoken. I had no idea what half the words were. By the time I could figure out the words I had missed ("they mention driving so logically they're talking about a car" type thing), I was behind, rinse, repeat.

There were loud beeps while the audio continued to alert you to emergency text calls, and you'd have to select Police, Fire, etc. while still listening to the audio and entering in information. I do not react well to unexpected short, loud sounds. (Maybe it's because my mother tried to get me to react to anything by banging pans and the like near my head after they told her I was deaf? lol I'm kidding but maybe I'm not...) My hands start shaking, there are more beeps, and awesome, I'm starting to have a panic attack now. If anyone ever wants to watch me suddenly start to hysterically sob, don't warn me when you hammer in a nail.

So I'm half-way through and I've very obviously completely failed this so far. Tests have timed out. Most of the boxes on what I did submit are empty. I politely said this was not the right fit for me and left. I'm not the person you want deciding things in life and death situations, anyway, which I knew coming in but thought I could magically be awesome at. One of the guys in charge of the test very sweetly came out after me and suggested other jobs for the crazy girl to apply to.

I mean, there's a reason why a job that starts at $25 an hour and has a great schedule and benefits has been severely understaffed for years, and that's because the job is awful. But that was still pathetic of me. I thought I could do better purely because it wasn't an option not to do well, but it apparently doesn't work like that.

That was long. Sorry.

TL;DR Yes, it went that badly.

Last edited:
It actually could have been worse - I hadn't even gotten to the part where I had to read a map and determine routes.

"Head south on...wait which way is south again? Ok turn left, I meant right...The address is 16 Oak. No. 61 Oak. 19 Oak. Sorry."

I also apologize to the poor imaginary plumber that I sent Utility to, rather than EMS, because I read the words out of order. I hope the imaginary Utility people know imaginary CPR.

Last edited:
Sounds like it would be a very stressful job, faith. I'm not good at maps or directions either.

I appreciate that you know the names of bags. I don't know why this can't be a job. [emoji53]

Sounds like it would be a very stressful job, faith. I'm not good at maps or directions either.

I appreciate that you know the names of bags. I don't know why this can't be a job. [emoji53]

No one (I assume) wants to hire me for recognizing obscure actors and knowing what series/films they've been in, either.

My ability to tell people that's the actor who was in episode 20 of whatever show 10 years ago is monetarily unappreciated.

No one (I assume) wants to hire me for recognizing obscure actors and knowing what series/films they've been in, either.

My ability to tell people that's the actor who was in episode 20 of whatever show 10 years ago is monetarily unappreciated.
And imagine... just imagine... if that actor were to be carrying an equally-obscure MJ bag!

I have been trying to figure out how to leverage the fact that I remember every song lyric ever, as well as the artist who sang it (especially since I can't remember squat that I learned in grad school).

My company's new CEO is giving us much reason to believe we'll soon be on the chopping block, so maybe we should team up, faith. Surely someone wants to pay us for all of this random pop culture knowledge!!

Unless you need to know the style name of a bag. Why isn't that a job?!

I hope it's ok to eavesdrop and jump in. I'm so sorry about the dreadful test.

You could work for Fashionphile. I'm as serious as a heart attack. In Beverly Hills they have authenticators who check your bag and give you a valuation when you take something in to sell. Also girls who do the listings, descriptions, manage the auctions, store the bags, etc. They seem to have much more stock at their Carlsbad location now, so there must be people there too. It's your skill set :flowers:

I have been trying to figure out how to leverage the fact that I remember every song lyric ever, as well as the artist who sang it (especially since I can't remember squat that I learned in grad school).

My company's new CEO is giving us much reason to believe we'll soon be on the chopping block, so maybe we should team up, faith. Surely someone wants to pay us for all of this random pop culture knowledge!!

I'm really sorry that it looks to be bad news. I hope that it turns out not to be. We're here if you need to vent!

I'll start designing our business cards.

I hope it's ok to eavesdrop and jump in. I'm so sorry about the dreadful test.

You could work for Fashionphile. I'm as serious as a heart attack. In Beverly Hills they have authenticators who check your bag and give you a valuation when you take something in to sell. Also girls who do the listings, descriptions, manage the auctions, store the bags, etc. They seem to have much more stock at their Carlsbad location now, so there must be people there too. It's your skill set :flowers:

Not eavesdropping, it was a public meltdown and everyone got an invite ;)

That probably is a job I would be good at. Unfortunately, I don't have a car, so my search is limited to areas nearby or that pay enough to justify Uber.

Last edited: