Nail Care chat thread!

Ok, so rookie question from me now. Since i've grown my nails i've been wondering how to keep them at a decent length without them getting overly long. Theres a part of me that seems to remember someone telling me that you shouldn't cut them with nail clippers but is that false?

The last thing I want to do is damage them now they're actually getting somewhere.

Ok, so rookie question from me now. Since i've grown my nails i've been wondering how to keep them at a decent length without them getting overly long. Theres a part of me that seems to remember someone telling me that you shouldn't cut them with nail clippers but is that false?

The last thing I want to do is damage them now they're actually getting somewhere.

I read that a glass nail file is the least damaging...the kind that has the filing pattern etched into the glass...not glued on top of the glass. So I tried one...I got mine at Sephora but I've also seen them at Ulta and Amazon. It makes a huge difference for me. It really seals the edge of the nail better than an emery board or a metal file or clippers. My tips are much less likely to break since I started using it. I don't think it's a good idea to cut because your nail is round and the clippers are flat...there's going to be mechanical stress somewhere.

I never cut my nails with clippers. I feel that it is too harsh on them and just not necessary, in my case anyway. I use a glass file as well (from Sephora) and it definitely makes a difference. My nails are long and grow very fast, so I usually file my nails down a bit every time I change my polish, which could be anywhere from every two days to a week. The only time I ever file them down drastically, is when I get a broken nail and just want them to be all the same length and squared off like I like them. :smile:

Any recommendations for nails that peel badly at the tips? I've started massaging Burt's Bees lemon cuticle balm into the cuticles and my nails every time I change my polish & that seems to help a bit, but the problem is still there.

I also get tiny tears along the side (down far enough that it would make the nail super short, of course) which I fix for a few days before it just gets too annoying & I end up just cutting the nail. Would a glass file help fix this? I've read that you aren't supposed to file the sides at all, just gently, only when you have a tear... what do you all recommend? Thanks! :smile:

Any recommendations for nails that peel badly at the tips? I've started massaging Burt's Bees lemon cuticle balm into the cuticles and my nails every time I change my polish & that seems to help a bit, but the problem is still there.

I also get tiny tears along the side (down far enough that it would make the nail super short, of course) which I fix for a few days before it just gets too annoying & I end up just cutting the nail. Would a glass file help fix this? I've read that you aren't supposed to file the sides at all, just gently, only when you have a tear... what do you all recommend? Thanks! :smile:

Glass file helped me a lot to prevent peeling and tears!
This is the one I'm using...http://www.sephora.com/crystal-nail-file-P310307
I actually just got a spare one today so I can keep one in my bathroom and one in my purse.

I can't file my nails at all, if I do it one way like your meant to they just look uneven, trying to level it makes them really short and sawing side to side takes loads off, stupid files:giggles:

On the plus side 3 weeks into my Nail Envy and my nails are rockin, I'm so happy as I have weak, breakable, flaky nails. They are stronger than before, growing well and the flakiness is practically gone:tup: They now look really nice without polish on :biggrin:

It doesn't seem to have had the same effect with my mum but she forgets her layers so often:rolleyes:

I use a NailTek file (from Ulta). It's glass and comes in a mini for my purse and and larger size. It's a pretty fine grit, so not great for taking off length (although it will), but great for maintaining length.

Be sure your nails are dry. Damp/wet nails damage easier when filing. Also, filing with clear base coat, at least, protects them. Some people prefer to file with a darker polish to get an even shape. I can't do it that way. I file better with naked or clear polish.

Filing one direction takes some getting used to, you tend to drag down. Try angling the filing hand, rather than angling the file. I file mine when I'm watching tv a lot, so I'll lay my hand on my leg and then file perpendicular at a right angle. Or I hold my hand flat, fingers pointing toward the ceiling, and file at a right angle. Then file the corners. Check the back side (palm side frequently) for eveness.

Loodie has a bunch of posts on filing
http://loodieloodieloodie.blogspot.com/search/label/Nail Files

Nailsit said:
I use a NailTek file (from Ulta). It's glass and comes in a mini for my purse and and larger size. It's a pretty fine grit, so not great for taking off length (although it will), but great for maintaining length.

Be sure your nails are dry. Damp/wet nails damage easier when filing. Also, filing with clear base coat, at least, protects them. Some people prefer to file with a darker polish to get an even shape. I can't do it that way. I file better with naked or clear polish.

Filing one direction takes some getting used to, you tend to drag down. Try angling the filing hand, rather than angling the file. I file mine when I'm watching tv a lot, so I'll lay my hand on my leg and then file perpendicular at a right angle. Or I hold my hand flat, fingers pointing toward the ceiling, and file at a right angle. Then file the corners. Check the back side (palm side frequently) for eveness.

Loodie has a bunch of posts on filing
http://loodieloodieloodie.blogspot.com/search/label/Nail%20Files

I didn't realize you could/should file with polish on them! For some reason I thought you were supposed to file naked nails, lol!