Nail Care chat thread!

Zappos has a large selection of Sparitual and free shipping.

I don't think Zappos ships to Canada anymore. :sad:

You could try Murale. They have a Spa Ritual section but I'm not sure if they keep up to date with seasonal collections. Nail Polish Canada also stocks Spa Ritual.

I had no idea they have SpaRitual, I don't usually shop there, but I may have to go there sometime now!

Merle norman too!

I just had to google that, I've never heard of it. Thanks for the tip! :smile:

Ever since I've joined this forum I've started to pay more attention to my nails. What's a good cuticle oil that you girls would recommend? I currently have Sally Hansen's "Vitamin E Nail and Cuticle Oil" but wanted to know what's the best. Another question, what is your daily/weekly care routine on your nails? I know everyone has individual needs but sometimes different products and the different ways they are applied might help me find the routine that is right for "me" :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ever since I've joined this forum I've started to pay more attention to my nails. What's a good cuticle oil that you girls would recommend? I currently have Sally Hansen's "Vitamin E Nail and Cuticle Oil" but wanted to know what's the best. Another question, what is your daily/weekly care routine on your nails? I know everyone has individual needs but sometimes different products and the different ways they are applied might help me find the routine that is right for "me" :biggrin:

Any oil is good really, even olive oil. The real key is put on the oil and then put on something waxy to seal it in like Burt's Bees Cuticle Cream or Palmer's Cocoa Butter (the one in the tub). That really let's the oil sink in.

My only daily routine is moisturize moisturize moisturize! Seriously, that is the biggest key to keeping healthy nails, there's no such thing as too much. As for weekly, I use a cuticle remover (the Sally Hansen blue one) once a week and file every few days if I'm at my desired length/shape.

There's a thread somewhere about everyone's favourite cuticle oils / balms, but my favourite is the Badger Cuticle Care Balm. I have been using coconut oil recently too. I moisturize my face with it at night, and the excess is on my hands anyways. I love it!

There is not much to my routine. I usually just remove my polish, wash my hands with my favourite soap, file my nails (if needed), apply Butter London Nail Foundation base coat, then my nail polish of choice, and top coat. After it's all dried, I use the cuticle balm and wash my hands (only water) after that. Pretty basic! :smile:

There's a thread somewhere about everyone's favourite cuticle oils / balms, but my favourite is the Badger Cuticle Care Balm. I have been using coconut oil recently too. I moisturize my face with it at night, and the excess is on my hands anyways. I love it!

There is not much to my routine. I usually just remove my polish, wash my hands with my favourite soap, file my nails (if needed), apply Butter London Nail Foundation base coat, then my nail polish of choice, and top coat. After it's all dried, I use the cuticle balm and wash my hands (only water) after that. Pretty basic! :smile:
Thank you so much. My mani's/pedi's usually follow a similar routine except I do not wash my nails because I don't want my nails to absorb water, but this is probably me being paranoid :biggrin:. I heard that I should apply cuticle oil every day. Does anyone else do this?

Any oil is good really, even olive oil. The real key is put on the oil and then put on something waxy to seal it in like Burt's Bees Cuticle Cream or Palmer's Cocoa Butter (the one in the tub). That really let's the oil sink in.

My only daily routine is moisturize moisturize moisturize! Seriously, that is the biggest key to keeping healthy nails, there's no such thing as too much. As for weekly, I use a cuticle remover (the Sally Hansen blue one) once a week and file every few days if I'm at my desired length/shape.
Thank you for the reply, semirose. I was wondering if clipping is more damaging than filing? Or is it one of those things that is constantly debated? I clip because I do not have the patience to file my nails but if it's harmful I will stop. Siiigh the things I do for love :balloon:

Anyone have any idea where I can get more information on the benefit of gel overlay? I've been trying my best to keep my nails long and strong but it always chip and split. I am getting tired of doing the tea bag method, too, so I was looking into something like a thin overlay and would still be able to paint/design my nails.

Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. I keep cuticle oil on my night stand, in the bathroom and at my desk at work. I also keep a small sample tube of Lush's Lemony Flutter in my purse. I moisturize my cuticles throughout the day. I also keep the big tub of Nivea creme at my desk and a small one in my purse. It's very concentrated and a little goes a long way.

Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. I keep cuticle oil on my night stand, in the bathroom and at my desk at work. I also keep a small sample tube of Lush's Lemony Flutter in my purse. I moisturize my cuticles throughout the day. I also keep the big tub of Nivea creme at my desk and a small one in my purse. It's very concentrated and a little goes a long way.
I agree that moisturizing probably ranks number one in nail care. I have an odd question, does applying cream to the nail somehow affect the length of a mani? I think the main reason I apply cream everywhere except my nails is because I don't want it to somehow ruin it. I know it might sound silly but I just avoid it because I don't know if it's okay or not.

I love coconut oil!!!!! It has a tiny molecule so it's really good at penetrating skin and nails. It's my HG oil. :smile: I slather my hands and feet in coconut oil and then I put on cotton gloves and socks and I leave it on all night, most nights. If I have any broken skin on my cuticles, I see visible healing in the morning. It also makes my nails feel really strong. Once I had a nail that was starting to peel at the tip...after a little bit of glass filing and 2 nights of coconut oil the peel had sealed itself back together.

Other than that, I am careful to never use my nails as tools...I have knives if i need to pry something open, and a loofah if I need an intense scratching session :smile: I also wear waterproof gloves in soapy situations (cleaning, dishes, etc)

I agree that moisturizing probably ranks number one in nail care. I have an odd question, does applying cream to the nail somehow affect the length of a mani? I think the main reason I apply cream everywhere except my nails is because I don't want it to somehow ruin it. I know it might sound silly but I just avoid it because I don't know if it's okay or not.

It will definitely not hurt your polish to apply cream or oil or lotion!
If you want to reapply top coat in the middle of a manicure just remember to wash off the lotion or oil with soap first so your new polish can adhere to something clean. But other than that, you can use oil or cream as liberally as you want to.

It will definitely not hurt your polish to apply cream or oil or lotion!
If you want to reapply top coat in the middle of a manicure just remember to wash off the lotion or oil with soap first so your new polish can adhere to something clean. But other than that, you can use oil or cream as liberally as you want to.

Thanks for the reply! I don't know why I thought that cream would somehow ruin my mani's :rolleyes: I have been hydrating my hands a lot more often and applying cuticle oil nightly. I have tried doing the sock thing but find that it isn't for me. Sucks cuz I do know that it delivers results.

Just a question girls, does anyone know where the "SOG information for beginners" thread went? I know I can find it if I do a search, but it's no longer in sticky. Is it just me?