Joel Kinnaman

I'm not saying that TV is bad but it's not like I'm dying to see the next The Killing episode. The tension is gone. I'm just waiting now to know who's the killer. I stopped watching at the fifth episode of season 2. Someday I might watch the rest of the episodes all in one. But now I'm a bit distracted. :P I wouldn't mind Joel doing another TV show, something totally different. I just mean that with movies he has more chances to do different stuff in a short amount of time whereas with TV shows he has to wait until they're over. Sure what crap Hollywood is putting out there right now is ridiculous but there's still proof that every now and then little gems are amongst them and Joel has a talent to find these and choose those roles. All it takes is a creative director and an amazing script. Maybe Hollywood should stop doing all these remakes, book/game adaptions or franchises and instead become innovative and creative again. Going to the movies right now is very boring with some exceptions.

You do know that if Robocop doesn't do well it might kill his career. American's are fickle when it comes to remakes of classic movies. There's already *****ing and complaining that the director is saying that he's going to make him more human and there are going to be some changes to his suit.

I remember when Cowboys and Aliens came out last year. There was this buildup and the reviews came out and it totally flopped.

You do know that if Robocop doesn't do well it might kill his career. American's are fickle when it comes to remakes of classic movies. There's already *****ing and complaining that the director is saying that he's going to make him more human and there are going to be some changes to his suit.

I remember when Cowboys and Aliens came out last year. There was this buildup and the reviews came out and it totally flopped.

Yeah but I don't really care for RoboCop because it's another remake. It might kill his career in the US but he still got a career in Europe he can go back to. He can do theatre and more movies in Sweden and the rest of Europe. Hollywood is not everything and Joel is not in Hollywood for the fame but for the variety of acting choices. It also doesn't mean he'll never work in Hollywood again. A lot of actors came back after few years. One failed movie is not the death of him. It's just movies, he's not curing cancer here.

Obviously Europe wasn't enough for him or he would have stayed there now wouldn't he? If you want to do meaningful work here you have to do indie movies or go to stage work. There is Weinstein Co. movies. They really don't care about making money as long as they get their Oscars. The downside to that is they have almost gone bankrupt twice in the last four years.

Last edited:
Reactions: beautifulbrunette
^^Whatever. What do we know what Joel wants? Don't talk the movie down until it's out. I just wanted to say that he won't be as lost and heart crushed as someone else if this whole HW career thing fails.

Well, I wouldn't put that on all Americans, definitely. I think the lion's share of many Americans' problem with remakes is not 'oh no, you're not trying to.. make it more character driven!?! And BETTER?!" it is more, 'oh god, can we just try brand new stories instead of recycling things that rely on novelty and reference to attract viewers'. And that is less a sign of American stupidity and more of a representation that what the studios THINK people want isn't necessarily the reality. People forget about bulls****T like the suit really quickly when they understand whether or not the movie as a whole is good or not. In reality, most recent remakes and reboots, at least at the movies have failed domestically. The big money people keep trying to tell use that we're idiots, and some people eventually concede and go along with it. It really is down to availability and exposure. If you put crap into the theaters, of course it is going to look like all people are watching is crap. And if you don't do enough to market and expose the smaller, GOOD things, yeah, it will seem like those gosh darn stupid Americans are just being stupid again and ignoring the good stuff!

^ITA with all of that.

And personally...... I'd LOVE to see Joel on quality tv over this or that movies. Tv is where the greatest storytelling is, and it's consistent, and you'll consistently SEE him. You won't have to wait months, maybe even years, between movies that are only 2 hours. TV is just so, so much better for so many reasons.

Well, I wouldn't put that on all Americans, definitely. I think the lion's share of many Americans' problem with remakes is not 'oh no, you're not trying to.. make it more character driven!?! And BETTER?!" it is more, 'oh god, can we just try brand new stories instead of recycling things that rely on novelty and reference to attract viewers'. And that is less a sign of American stupidity and more of a representation that what the studios THINK people want isn't necessarily the reality. People forget about bulls****T like the suit really quickly when they understand whether or not the movie as a whole is good or not. In reality, most recent remakes and reboots, at least at the movies have failed domestically. The big money people keep trying to tell use that we're idiots, and some people eventually concede and go along with it. It really is down to availability and exposure. If you put crap into the theaters, of course it is going to look like all people are watching is crap. And if you don't do enough to market and expose the smaller, GOOD things, yeah, it will seem like those gosh darn stupid Americans are just being stupid again and ignoring the good stuff!

THANK YOU! Exactly my point.
I'm just saying Rock of Ages or Battleship. Apparently there's lots of money to put out such crap but if there's somewhere a great script which is a bit more demanding the studios are like, "No, it's too risky. The audience won't get it." How the hell does a f*cking studio boss in his Ferrari know what I like or understand??? They obviously still think Tom Cruise is a box office draw. If anything it's more like a sign for me when Tom Cruise is in a movie I rather NOT watch it.
So yeah if you put out a great movie you get my money. And btw, don't they do some studies, statistics or researches before they put lots of money in a movie? I mean to what kind of people did they talk who said, "Yeah Rock of Ages would be a great movie to make"? Sorry, can't handle the crap that's out there right now. That's one of the reasons why I mostly retreat to indies. You get at least a story with your popcorn.

THANK YOU! Exactly my point.
I'm just saying Rock of Ages or Battleship. Apparently there's lots of money to put out such crap but if there's somewhere a great script which is a bit more demanding the studios are like, "No, it's too risky. The audience won't get it." How the hell does a f*cking studio boss in his Ferrari know what I like or understand??? They obviously still think Tom Cruise is a box office draw. If anything it's more like a sign for me when Tom Cruise is in a movie I rather NOT watch it.
So yeah if you put out a great movie you get my money. And btw, don't they do some studies, statistics or researches before they put lots of money in a movie? I mean to what kind of people did they talk who said, "Yeah Rock of Ages would be a great movie to make"? Sorry, can't handle the crap that's out there right now. That's one of the reasons why I mostly retreat to indies. You get at least a story with your popcorn.

They rarely do those studies anymore. Do you think they did study to see if people wanted a stripper movie? Don't think so.

Then why are they still doing remakes? Because people are spending their money to watch them. Until that changes they don't have any reason to come up with original material. Hollywood has gotten lazy. To your point I think that does represent 90% of Americans. They other 10% won't new directions and new premises of movies.

They rarely do those studies anymore. Do you think they did study to see if people wanted a stripper movie? Don't think so.

This movie falls under the category "crap". And that's why Olivia Munn is in it. Oh snap!

IregretNothing.gif

Maybe they should do such studies. Would save them a lot of money.

A new interview with Aftonbladet. Courtesy of Google Translator.

View attachment 1764476

Playing against giants, Joel Kinnaman plays the lead role in the remake of "Robocop". There, he is joined by big stars like Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson and Hugh Laurie. "I'm so f*cking psyched that Gary Oldman is in," said the Swede.

Joel Kinnaman: "It felt like having a miscarriage"

Joel Kinnaman of abandoned projects, flops - and the dream role
Joel Kinnaman had a dream role and lost it.

He was broken - but got to superchans with "Robocop".

- It felt like you had something inside you that did not release, he told Aftonbladet.

Currently, the actor Joel Kinnaman, 31, is very famous in the movie business, but not nearly as famous for the American audience. Now everything is changing - with "Robocop". He can become a superstar.

But before "Robocop" slipped the dream role in "Arthur and Lancelot" from the hands of him. Film project crashed when Kinnaman had begun to make detailed research.

"Big disappointment"

- I trained with the sword, and rode horses. It was the first major film I did, and Lancelot was the absolute best character in the script. When the project was called off, it felt like you were pregnant and had a miscarriage. There was something inside of us that were not delivered. It was a big disappointment and we thought "f*ck".

The actor did not hang lip too long. Before long, he had secured the role of Robocop.

- It's even fatter than Lancelot. I'm so f*cking psyched that Gary Oldman is included. Also, my figure is a violent role when compared to the original, said Joel Kinnaman.

Saw his own movie

Kinnaman explains that it will be left with weak movies initially. He saw, for example, science fiction reel "The Darkest Hour" from 2011 and says that his character was an incomprehensible choice.

- It was not the best film. But I hoped he would be the only ray of light in it. All reviews say there is not a single credible figure. I, however, did my best. "Robocop" I will have much more control over because I'm doing the lead role, he says.

Foreign career for him further and further away from Sweden. Kinnaman realizes that it may take a long time before he will shoot a movie in Swedish, after "Snabba Cash" series is rounded.

Missing Skarsgård

- I live a gipsy life, and it's great. I enjoy it, but everything has its price. I will be uprooted. I get far too little time with those who matter most to me, my closest friends and family, he says.

- I may miss Gustaf Skarsgård, Mattias Varela and Daniel Espinosa very much. We are a group of friends of 50 people, and it can be tough to be away from them. You miss garven and everyone's stories, he adds.

In a short hope, however, Kinnaman and Espinosa returned in yet another film project, after making the thriller "Safe House" and "Snabba Cash" together.

- That's a director I would rather work with. He is a masterpiece in himself and I hope that our relationship could last a lifetime, he says.

Joel on ...

... stellar career
- The series "The Killing", many in the industry do watch. The tone is not common in American television because sometimes it rests in sorrow. Scorsese I know watches the series and likes it as hell. Matt Damon has also gone out and said he loves it. There is nothing more important than respect from your peers.

... "Snabba Cash 2"
- I am convinced that the movie will be good. In both the first and second films, we have directors who enter with high ambitions for what we are told by the characters. I myself think that some of the performances is better than the first.

1-89.jpg

HOLLYWOOD, CA - JUNE 20: Executive producer Alan Poul, actress Olivia Munn and actor Joel Kinnaman attend the after party for HBO's New Series 'Newsroom' Los Angeles Premiere at Boulevard3 on June 20, 2012 in Hollywood, California.

Last edited: