Steven Spielberg's SMASH - Monday Nights on NBC

Does anyone watch this show? I'm so surprised there isn't a thread for it already. I watched the premier On Demand before it started and thought it was really good. The second episode was on last night and I loved it as much as the first one!

Katherine McFee (of American Idol) and Broadway star, Megan
Hilty are the two "actresses" vying to play Marilyn Monroe in a Broadway show about Monroe's life. Angelica Houston plays the producer while Debra Messing is one of the playwrights.

Aside from the song and dance (think GLEE on Broadway!), there are some very promising storylines -- I can't believe no one's talked about this show yet! Does anyone besides me watch it?

"Smash," the new NBC drama from executive producer Steven Spielberg, is like a good version of "Glee." The talent pool is deeper and richer, it's full of characters who are actually likeable, the story is more mature and it's more realistic.

The show, which airs Mondays at 9 p.m., follows the production of a Broadway musical about Marilyn Monroe. Debra Messing plays Julia Houston who, along with her writing and musical partner Tom (Christian Borle), is attempting to produce a new musical called "Marilyn." Katharine McPhee plays Karen Cartwright, the "light," good girl from Iowa auditioning for the role of Marilyn. She has a big voice to go along with her big dreams.

Her competition is the more experienced Ivy Lynn, played by real life Broadway star Megan Hilty. Hollywood legend Anjelica Huston is the feisty Eileen Rand, the show's financial backer, while British actor Jack Davenport plays the arrogant but extremely talented director, Derek Wills.

"Smash," much like its inspiration (Broadway and Marilyn Monroe), is flashy, exciting and altogether enthralling. The first hour passed quickly, unfolding at a rapid pace and quickly creating its atmosphere. It's one that looks fluffy and easily dismissible on the outside. If you can look past the addictive nighttime soap aspects, there's something really special there.

Early in the pilot episode, Julia tries to explain to her frazzled husband why she wants to do this musical so much. "There was something about [Marilyn]," she says. "How much she loved and wanted to be loved. She glowed with it." She may be speaking about Marilyn, but in so many ways she could also be talking about "Smash." The show glows with its need to be liked. It has so many high expectations for itself, and at times that need is felt. It strains for that Broadway greatness and sometimes falls short.

"Smash" will have to be very careful not to cross the thin line it's already straddling. If it does fall over, it's going to turn into a frothy imitation of itself. For right now though, there is a lot to love about "Smash," and the actors are a big part of that. You can see that the actors are enjoying their roles.

Hilty in particular is a lot of fun. She's presented as a villain early on, but you start to see vulnerability in her, maybe even more so than McPhee's Karen. We see a few scenes that tell us she might not actually be the innocent Iowa girl she's made out to be. There is a particularly racy scene between her and Derek from the pilot that stands out.

Messing and Huston also seem to enjoy stealing scenes. The real standout for me was Davenport, who is crazy fun as the predatory director. It's a character we've seen countless times, but he's such a good actor and he plays him with such glee that it's hard not to love him.

"Smash" shows a lot of promise. The kind of show that's so deliciously indulgent that it charms you from the get-go.
http://www.unogateway.com/entertainment/sparkling-smash-1.2779427

what did everyone think of the episode last night??? i'm really liking this show. the girl who plays ivy is just mesmerizing. i could probably watch her sing all day.

although i'm a tad bit uncomfortable with this director guy trying to sleep with everyone. i realize that probably happens in the business but it gives me the heeby jeebies

I loved the episode last night. For some reason this show just makes me happy. I like how they work the singing into the show without it being annoying. As much as I love Jack Davenport, his character is rather slimey. I'm sure there are a lot of people in the business that behave that way. I really love the little assistant guy. I find it hard to believe this is the first thing he has been in.

I love this show and look forward to the rest of the season! I saw Megan Hilty on Access Hollywood before the show premier and they asked her about her character's relationship w/the director and she hinted that there's more to it than what you see in the first few episodes, so I'm curious as to where it's going to go.

I'm also curious how Katherine McFee's character will be worked into the show now that they've chosen Ivy to play Marilyn. Will Karen be her understudy? Will they decide to have two actresses play the lead?

I heard that Thorsten Kaye (Zack from All my Children) is supposed to be on this show! I'm cant wait to see who he plays!

Love this show and hope it makes it - I'm so tired al all the reality crap. This is a really good and entertaining scripted TV show and it NEEDS to stay on the air!

I'm also curious how Katherine McFee's character will be worked into the show now that they've chosen Ivy to play Marilyn. Will Karen be her understudy? Will they decide to have two actresses play the lead?

i'm always extremely curious about this as well.... it must be as an understudy.... right?? i totally forgot that there are understudies lol

Regarding Katherine McPhee's character... here's my take...

It was mentioned that Eileen's husband was renewing his interest in My Fair Lady and wanted Jack to direct.

I think he's going to cast Karen (KM) as Eliza Doolittle (because it was also said that Marilyn was like an American Eliza Doolittle) and try to steal anyone else he can to make Eileen's "Marilyn" a flop.

Maybe they'll do numbers from both shows.

Just something I was thinking...

I only watched the first episode so far. What are the chances that Ivy is pregnant and has to back out? The reason I say that is because in the 1st episode she was throwing up right before the audition which on one hand is understandable but on the other hand she was pretty much a shoe in for the role so there should not have been too many nerves.