Steven Spielberg's SMASH - Monday Nights on NBC

Oh, death knell! Although you all are probably right, I really really hope not. I think the show is starting to turn for the better this season and get back on track. Less of the side story with J Hudson. Less of the random singing sequences inserted into scenes that are not musical related (which remind me of Glee and are just annoying TBH). Fewer covers. More original music. Back to the original premise of the back story behind how musicals get to stage on (and off) Broadway. I really like how the writers are setting up the upcoming parallel between Smash (Broadway) and Hit List (off Broadway).

Yes! After watching this week's episode I definitely feel like they're getting it back on track. Thank goodness!
I agree. This weeks episode was the best this season and reminded me why I fell in love with this show. Problem is, was it too little too late? When has a show ever survived a move to Saturdays? Especially a show in its second season that has already been moved to a new night?

Debra Messing Joins CBS Pilot
Published: March 25, 2013 @ 11:45 am

By Tim Molloy

"Smash" star Debra Messing has signed on for the lead of a new CBS comedy pilot, putting the future of the NBC show in further doubt.

Messing will play "Shira," a married mom trying to balance her home and work life in the pilot from writers and executive producers Julie Rottenberg and Elisa Zuritsky.

Messing is in second position for the project, meaning NBC has first dibs on her if "Smash" is renewed. But the casting is far from a vote of confidence on her part that "Smash" will return.

The series, which has suffered low ratings, is being shuffled to Saturday nights, generally a low-rated night for TV.

The CBS series, meanwhile, is based on an Israeli format and comes from CBS Television Studios.

Debra Messing Joins CBS Pilot
Published: March 25, 2013 @ 11:45 am

By Tim Molloy

"Smash" star Debra Messing has signed on for the lead of a new CBS comedy pilot, putting the future of the NBC show in further doubt.

Messing will play "Shira," a married mom trying to balance her home and work life in the pilot from writers and executive producers Julie Rottenberg and Elisa Zuritsky.

Messing is in second position for the project, meaning NBC has first dibs on her if "Smash" is renewed. But the casting is far from a vote of confidence on her part that "Smash" will return.

The series, which has suffered low ratings, is being shuffled to Saturday nights, generally a low-rated night for TV.

The CBS series, meanwhile, is based on an Israeli format and comes from CBS Television Studios.

Oh no, more bad news. But thank you for posting.

This week's episode was great! I loved the diva scene - what amazing choreography! I keep re-watching it... Not thrilled about Karen's choice of boyfriends, but I'm really warming up to Derek. Also loved the juxtaposition of Marilyn and her mother vs. Ivy and hers. Oh it's getting good this season!!! Can they move it back to Tuesday from Saturday after that stupid Ready for Love series gets its following? Honestly. Ready for Love is more a Friday show. It's more appropriate for Smash to follow The Voice on Tuesdays.

This week's episode was great! I loved the diva scene - what amazing choreography! I keep re-watching it... Not thrilled about Karen's choice of boyfriends, but I'm really warming up to Derek. Also loved the juxtaposition of Marilyn and her mother vs. Ivy and hers. Oh it's getting good this season!!! Can they move it back to Tuesday from Saturday after that stupid Ready for Love series gets its following? Honestly. Ready for Love is more a Friday show. It's more appropriate for Smash to follow The Voice on Tuesdays.

Completely agree

Disappointed, but not surprised. :sad: Maybe they can continue on Hulu like they've done with a couple of soap operas.

That would be nice, but unlikely. The soaps move to Hulu wasn't without drama. In fact, their first attempt failed. With Debra Messing already committed to a new TV show, I'm sure its only a matter of time before the rest of the cast follows suit, I also don't think there's as much interest in SMASH as there was in AMC & OLTL, not to mention the cost cutting measures that would need to happen - they'd have to leave NY and how can you do a show about Broadway outside of NY?

There were just way too many strikes against this show all along - the move to Saturdays after the initial move to Tuesdays, the change in writers and show runner, the long break in between seasons, the change of the shows focus from Bombshell/Marilyn Monroe to a broader Broadway theme. The show would have had to be a huge success during its second season, but it just got worse after a shaky first season. Its too bad cuz the early shows were great.

That would be nice, but unlikely. The soaps move to Hulu wasn't without drama. In fact, their first attempt failed. With Debra Messing already committed to a new TV show, I'm sure its only a matter of time before the rest of the cast follows suit, I also don't think there's as much interest in SMASH as there was in AMC & OLTL, not to mention the cost cutting measures that would need to happen - they'd have to leave NY and how can you do a show about Broadway outside of NY?

There were just way too many strikes against this show all along - the move to Saturdays after the initial move to Tuesdays, the change in writers and show runner, the long break in between seasons, the change of the shows focus from Bombshell/Marilyn Monroe to a broader Broadway theme. The show would have had to be a huge success during its second season, but it just got worse after a shaky first season. Its too bad cuz the early shows were great.

True! I noticed on the promos for the soaps that they look super cheap now. It would be impossible to do this show on a shoestring budget. Well, it wouldn't be any good anyway. It makes me sad, because it really does have so much potential.

just heard this. kinda sad but also not surprised. i enjoy watching it but honestly i do not watch it while it airs. i always catch it on-demand and it's usually a 'oh i haven't watch smash yet!' after watching a list of other shows that i actually remember.

So, what did you guys think of the finale? I thought it was appropriate - ending with the Tony awards. The winners were also satisfying, not too unbelievable. Loved the ending, with the song and clips of everyone (although I found Julia's a little, "huh?") I'm sorry that the show didn't do better, but I guess two full seasons is better than most new shows get. I'm glad they let them finish out the series and didn't yank it off the air mid-season, leaving viewers hanging, wondering what happened to their favorite characters/storylines.

I don't usually buy DVD sets of TV series (except for LOST and FRIENDS - shows I can watch over & over again!), especially since so many of them can be viewed on Netflix or Hulu or StreamPix, but I may just invest in this one (I wonder if they may sell a full series DVD set since it was only two seasons). I loved the music and the storylines (for the most part) and I'd like the chance to watch it again sometimes. I'm a little bummed that this is it, and we'll never know what comes next for these characters.

Last edited: