Fakes everywhere...

Here's my opinion. We all hate fakes, that we can agree upon. However, it's not cool to look down on or pity those who are carrying them. A lot of people on this board it seems are very well off. Perhaps those who are carrying fakes aren't. I can see how someone might want a little piece of luxury, even if it's not real. Most people can't afford LV. We should be grateful that we can afford luxuries that most people can't/don't have. It just seems a little bit in poor taste to be snarking on fake handbags when people don't have food, water or electricity in parts of Texas right now.

Thank you for this, some of these comments are down right mean. To call someone "stupid" because they're carrying fakes is taking it a bit far. Maybe some people really don't understand why its wrong to carry knock-offs, and who are we to judge or ridicule them?

Thank you for this, some of these comments are down right mean. To call someone "stupid" because they're carrying fakes is taking it a bit far. Maybe some people really don't understand why its wrong to carry knock-offs, and who are we to judge or ridicule them?

I appreciate both of these thought provoking posts. I know I can get very frustrated with the knock offs and what they stand for. Makers of the fakes are stealing from the design houses, along with promoting crime. Regarding those who knowingly buy fakes...hmmm, I still take issue with that because it is contributing to crime, child labor, terrorism etc. There was a huge story on 20/20 the other night. It really is an awful thing to make, sell and buy fakes!!

You know sometimes, I cannot help but wonder if they do not know their bags are fake. One can buy other designer bags on legitimate third party sites, maybe they believe vuitton is the same way.

I wonder that too sometimes. Turns out she got hers at an outlet store. She told a co- worker she had no clue they sold "real" LV's there... So yep in this case, she has no clue it's not the real thing.,

I've known quite a few people who didn't realize their bag was fake, and they were pretty mad because they spent good money on the bag. I'm offended as much as everyone else here when I see one due to what fakes represent, however, I'm more offended by those who ACT as if they are carrying an authentic bag knowing it is fake, and then look at your real one like something's wrong with it. If you carry a fake knowingly, just say you wanted the bag without the price tag or because you can't afford a real one. It's better than pretending.

It pisses me off that there are tons of fakes on ebay and they guarantee that it's authentic, and people actually make offers on it. I almost got duped and ALMOST sent an offer for a fake stresa on ebay. Thankfully for TPF's authenticate thread I didn't shell out a thousand bucks for a piece of garbage!!

I just love this post! I can very much relate to this. Except it's DH pointing and whispering very loud "Honey is that a fake?" I just smile ;)

You know what though even if we carry real ones to other people due to jealousy or whatever may just want to believe ours are fake to!

So all that matters to me is the simple fact that I know I walked into LV had some champagne, looked around and bought my bag! Thank you very much:P

Thank you joyceluvsbags :smile:

I've known quite a few people who didn't realize their bag was fake, and they were pretty mad because they spent good money on the bag. I'm offended as much as everyone else here when I see one due to what fakes represent, however, I'm more offended by those who ACT as if they are carrying an authentic bag knowing it is fake, and then look at your real one like something's wrong with it. If you carry a fake knowingly, just say you wanted the bag without the price tag or because you can't afford a real one. It's better than pretending.

Exactly!! I am not going to look down on someone who can't afford to buy an LV and think they're stupid or inferior for their choice in buying a "replica". I personally think it's wrong, not liking what the fakes represent. I'd much rather have a cute leather bag from Roots etc.. but to each their own. Pretending yours is real, when you know for certain it's fake, is just pointless. By this I mean telling others it's authentic, knowing full well it's not.. yet trying to fool them.

I do know someone like this.. she has replicas of Prada, LV, Gucci etc and knows full well they are fake... YET she tells others they are real and acts all snotty about it.

Sometimes my DH spots fakes even before I do, and tells me why it's fake. Lol
Not sure if they know they are carrying fakes though. I saw few carrying MC bags with weird patterns...like flowers, stars and stuff.
As long as I carry real LV and I know it's real, don't really care what others carry.

I sometimes think there's a direct ratio between the quality of the fake and the attitude of the person carrying it. Worst fakes/snottiest attitude. My favorite is a woman who literally held her arm out away from her body so the her "LV" would dangle.....and it was trailing threads of the fake red sealant from the handles!

My favorite is a woman who literally held her arm out away from her body so the her "LV" would dangle.....and it was trailing threads of the fake red sealant from the handles!

I seriously don't get why someone would do that. I certainly wouldn't blatantly and all high and mighty parade around my real LV's. That's just so beyond weird to me. :shrugs:

Does anyone with a REAL LV seriously go out of their way and make it obvious.. to let complete strangers around them know they're carrying one? I think not..

NOT saying all people carrying fakes do this, just commenting on the riduculous nature of it all :P

Fakes make me laugh. Especially the WTF(?!) monster bags with extra zippers and multicolore ampersand symbols and chunky square hardware bolts. I don't feel sorry for people who carry fakes. Most people know their bags are fake. And if a person doesn't care enough to realize their screaming fake is a fake, well then, they shouldn't care when we laugh at them.

Yes, I have seen some LOL ones. A Sprouse Speedy with metal claws, Cherry Blossom monsters, wallets with fraying, round-sewn edges.

I never judge someone with non-LVs. It can't be LV all the time. But why tote a fake around shamelessly? Target has nice bags. My girlfriend carries around a Walmart purse because she think's I'm ridiculous for spending $500 on my Epi wallet. Maybe I am. But I would never purchase a fake and neither would she.

Carrying fake LV doesn't make someone a bad person. I think of it as a faux-pas, like spinach or peppercorn stuck between your teeth. I don't really care, and to be honest, "spot the fake LVs" makes a fun game at airports/the DMV/etc.

Don't agree with buying fakes, don't approve of other ppl buying fakes, honestly, if you can't afford to save up and buy the real thing (like i do, and i'm a full time uni student =.=) then just get Guess or Banana Republic or Juicy bags or coach, absolutely nothing wrong with those brands. To me, it's better to not carry designer thn to prance around with a fake bag...

Speaking of which, I'm in KL, malaysia right now and last night, at Chinatown, i basically saw shops that specialized in fake EVERYTHING (Chanel, prada, gucci, coach, lv etc) URGH :sad: