Nappy, Kinky and LOVIN" IT

I love this thread and hope it sticks around. There have been a few others in the past, but they sorta disapper.

I'm a natural. I let my relaxer grow out for a looooooong time before I cut the relaxed ends off in December 2007. My hair is to my waist when it's straight and shrinks more than 50 percent to hit just below my shoulders when curly.

I can't find any recent hair pics, but here's a good look at mine from about a year ago. It settles down a lot better now. It took a while to figure out what works.

We have the same hair texture. :smile:

I consider myself natural, although I do color my hair! :P I color my hair because I think it gives my curls some depth. Anyway, I've been natural for a while now - maybe 6 years?? I'm at work so here are a few pics from my facebook album. I'll post more later.

I love learning more about products and caring for natural hair so keep this thread flowing ladies!

Attachments

• 4259_99991652362_521267362_2663758_1998797_n.jpg
    4259_99991652362_521267362_2663758_1998797_n.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 707
  • 6048_137617992362_521267362_3342934_324629_n.jpg
    6048_137617992362_521267362_3342934_324629_n.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 689
What products are you ladies using for hold or style?

I've tried Carol Daughter's hair milk and except for the smell (it has lemongrass in it which is STRONG), I do like it. I've also tried a few products by Curls, but I'm not a fan. :sad:

Other than that, I typically used leave in conditioner and homemade oil on the ends.

for hold and style - I spritz my hair with a mix of water, honey (yes honey) and Giovanni Direct leave-in, finger comb or use denman brush, then scrunch with 100% aloe vera gel (no alcohol). seal ends with oil

I don't have my printer hooked up because I'm moving stuff around, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. Here is a pic of me as a wee child of 3 with natural hair. It's not curly, but it's also straightened with a hot comb.

youngme1.jpg

Youngme2.jpg

This is the reason I have straightened hair now. Like most children, I did not like getting my hair done. I didn't like my mother washing my hair in the sink because I would get scared water or soap would get in my eye (did I mention I still hate washing my own hair? This may be one of the reasons). So it took forever to wash my thick head of hair. Then blowdry and proceed to watch your child flinch with every touch of the comb. I had to be about 5 when I got my first relaxer. Which my mother always says she regrets because by 6, it ate my hair up. Of course, it didn't last because my hair seems to be pretty resilient which is why I need a touch up all the time (approx. every 3 months. Formally 2), because my hair growth seems superhuman.

I . I had to be about 5 when I got my first relaxer. Which my mother always says she regrets because by 6, it ate my hair up. .

age 5 :nuts::nuts: Wowzers. My mother waited until I was 14 or 15, still young, but I can't even imagine 5. Yet, I saw a 3 year old getting a 'kiddie' perm once - I almost wanted to slap her mother.

This is my knappy hair. As a young child I had straighter hair and for some reason as I'm getting older, it's getting more and more wavy. I went to sleep with my hair damp last night and this is how it looks in the morning. I have yet to find the perfect product to weigh my hair down a bit, as I feel it just fluffs up. I don't usually put any product in my hair whatsoever. Last night the only thing that I did put was Morrocan Oil hoping that it would look less frizzy this morning.

IMG_2239.jpg

Ooo, I like this thread.

I've been natural for about 7 years. I did the big chop and cut it all off when I was in college and haven't looked back. I cut really short again a few years ago because it was dyed and that had ran it's course. Natural hair really isn't that difficult to maintain, imo.

There are some gorgeous pictures in this thread. My hair is much kinkier/tightly coiled though.

What products are you ladies using for hold or style?

I've tried Carol Daughter's hair milk and except for the smell (it has lemongrass in it which is STRONG), I do like it. I've also tried a few products by Curls, but I'm not a fan. :sad:

Other than that, I typically used leave in conditioner and homemade oil on the ends.

I use this. The smell is a little off-putting that's true, but it does kinda fade out as my hair dries. Oddly enough, my Go-To Leave In curl managing solution right now Hair Milk and Biolage Detangling Solution. I gotta go find a picture.

What do you girls do with your hair at night?

I was with Dove shampoo and conditoners for dry and frizzy hair. Then I apply tea tree oil to my scalp if I air dry it (elimiates dandruff). Otherwise, pink hair lotion for my ends.

I don't have my printer hooked up because I'm moving stuff around, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. Here is a pic of me as a wee child of 3 with natural hair. It's not curly, but it's also straightened with a hot comb.

This is the reason I have straightened hair now. Like most children, I did not like getting my hair done. I didn't like my mother washing my hair in the sink because I would get scared water or soap would get in my eye (did I mention I still hate washing my own hair? This may be one of the reasons). So it took forever to wash my thick head of hair. Then blowdry and proceed to watch your child flinch with every touch of the comb. I had to be about 5 when I got my first relaxer. Which my mother always says she regrets because by 6, it ate my hair up. Of course, it didn't last because my hair seems to be pretty resilient which is why I need a touch up all the time (approx. every 3 months. Formally 2), because my hair growth seems superhuman.

you were such a cutie pie!! awww

such long hair too!

This is my knappy hair. As a young child I had straighter hair and for some reason as I'm getting older, it's getting more and more wavy. I went to sleep with my hair damp last night and this is how it looks in the morning. I have yet to find the perfect product to weigh my hair down a bit, as I feel it just fluffs up. I don't usually put any product in my hair whatsoever. Last night the only thing that I did put was Morrocan Oil hoping that it would look less frizzy this morning.

Gorgeous hair! Do you know how many women are getting extensions just to have your length? lol

i have heard alot about morrocan oil! what does it do exactly?