Nappy, Kinky and LOVIN" IT

what an amazing thread!! Everybody's curls are so beautiful!!! :girlsigh::love:
I have nappy, frizzy, fine hair that is neither straight or curly and needs so much work either way. I admire the beautiful ringlet curls here!!:heart:

I don't have my printer hooked up because I'm moving stuff around, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. Here is a pic of me as a wee child of 3 with natural hair. It's not curly, but it's also straightened with a hot comb.

youngme1.jpg

Youngme2.jpg

This is the reason I have straightened hair now. Like most children, I did not like getting my hair done. I didn't like my mother washing my hair in the sink because I would get scared water or soap would get in my eye (did I mention I still hate washing my own hair? This may be one of the reasons). So it took forever to wash my thick head of hair. Then blowdry and proceed to watch your child flinch with every touch of the comb. I had to be about 5 when I got my first relaxer. Which my mother always says she regrets because by 6, it ate my hair up. Of course, it didn't last because my hair seems to be pretty resilient which is why I need a touch up all the time (approx. every 3 months. Formally 2), because my hair growth seems superhuman.

wow that's alot of hair, adorable!

What products are you ladies using for hold or style?

I've tried Carol Daughter's hair milk and except for the smell (it has lemongrass in it which is STRONG), I do like it. I've also tried a few products by Curls, but I'm not a fan. :sad:

Other than that, I typically used leave in conditioner and homemade oil on the ends.
My daughters have mixed hair and I use the Carol Daughters hair milk on them sometimes and if you like that...you should try Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner it works even better than the Carol Daughter.

Natural checking in :flowers:

Yesterday, I spent 3.5 hours on my head and I have the bags under my eyes to prove it (poo/dc'ed, tension dried and flatironed my hair) I'm sooo tired today!

Anybody know of a great detangler, product wise?

Yesterday, I spent 3.5 hours on my head and I have the bags under my eyes to prove it (poo/dc'ed, tension dried and flatironed my hair) I'm sooo tired today!

Hey Yellow - glad to know another natural on tPF:yahoo:

for detangler I go for hello hydration (in the blue bottle), a wide tooth comb and running water...

Daily Defense Tender Apple conditioner it used to be like 90 cents at Walmart. I bought it when lots of chicks on a natural hair care board were raving about it. After putting it in I could comb right thru my hair and I have the kinky stuff :P

oh man. I totally understand 3+ hours working on the hair.

What is tension drying?

Hey Yellow - glad to know another natural on tPF:yahoo:

for detangler I go for hello hydration (in the blue bottle), a wide tooth comb and running water...

Second this. It's Herbal Essences and it's amazing for detangling.

And appearantly my link to tightlycurly.com isn't working. Bummer! :rant: It's an excellent site. She did write a book that comes soon. I've already got it on pre-order. Her tips have SAVED my head. Not kidding. http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Like-Me...=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267813629&sr=8-6

I also like the book, Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey. It's pretty good, but maybe not as useful if your hair is really tightly curled. http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Lo...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267813629&sr=8-1

Aslan, your hair is adorable!