When it comes to buying H, how much risk do you take?

I’m not sure there’s a ‘right’ answer to this question because the answer is so driven by intangible personal characteristics. If you are generally risk averse you’re not likely to wake up and bank wire a five figure sum to a total stranger on the internet. Even the risk tolerant are unlikely to do this, so now we’re on a sliding scale with varying factors impacting the decision.

I think the best decision is the one that lets you sleep comfortably at night. I’m somewhat risk tolerant but the factors that give me comfort aren’t going to persuade someone who is less so. There absolutely are Hermes-made bags on the secondary market but finding one (at a price you can live with) involves some personal introspection.

The bags I've bought from eBay...and now that I think of it there are more than three...I will never find in boutique, for instance:

vintage Rouge H Box calf Kelly - I am never going to find 1980 Box calf in boutique - I have a 2023 RH Box bag and it's gorgeous, but different
vintage Raisin Box Calf Whitebus - discontinued bag in one of the best color/leather combos H has ever done (has a fabulous new owner now, but what a bag)
Fauve Barenia HAC32 - discontinued bag that's an insanely useful size and shape IMO, in a leather that's push offer only and that would have cost me at least 2x at boutique, AND brushed HW
1952 Box Calf Kelly, a grande dame classic in a discontinued shape, that makes my SAs and local artisan almost pass out from excitement

and then there's the rare things that turn up at auction houses: again, wonderful bags, leathers, and colors that are no longer available...(and again, I'm perfectly capable of identifying mistakes that sellers make, and if I have any doubt I call bababebi).

and then we hear these stories about fakes being returned to stores as real, or SAs swapping in fake Birkins and selling the authentic bags on the side.

So I am quite happy to own my finds, which have all gone to spa and been raved over by H artisans - whom I DO trust. If I had had a bag refused by spa or otherwise found wanting, I would still have had recourse with the seller since I buy from established sellers, so, doesn't seem that crazy to me :shrugs:

If I only wanted what Hermès makes today, in the colors and leathers they make today, sure, I'd go boutique all day long, and certainly the past couple years I've bought many, many boutique bags (too many ;)) - but I would hate to be unable to delve into the past hundred years of H history :smile:

(Someone referenced an old issue with a bag that was authenticated by bababebi, but refused by spa; that was a major edge case, and the thread about it here was closed for many reasons, so personally I think it unfair to speculate without all the facts on that specific circumstance.)

The bags I've bought from eBay...and now that I think of it there are more than three...I will never find in boutique, for instance:

vintage Rouge H Box calf Kelly - I am never going to find 1980 Box calf in boutique - I have a 2023 RH Box bag and it's gorgeous, but different
vintage Raisin Box Calf Whitebus - discontinued bag in one of the best color/leather combos H has ever done (has a fabulous new owner now, but what a bag)
Fauve Barenia HAC32 - discontinued bag that's an insanely useful size and shape IMO, in a leather that's push offer only and that would have cost me at least 2x at boutique, AND brushed HW
1952 Box Calf Kelly, a grande dame classic in a discontinued shape, that makes my SAs and local artisan almost pass out from excitement

and then there's the rare things that turn up at auction houses: again, wonderful bags, leathers, and colors that are no longer available...(and again, I'm perfectly capable of identifying mistakes that sellers make, and if I have any doubt I call bababebi).

and then we hear these stories about fakes being returned to stores as real, or SAs swapping in fake Birkins and selling the authentic bags on the side.

So I am quite happy to own my finds, which have all gone to spa and been raved over by H artisans - whom I DO trust. If I had had a bag refused by spa or otherwise found wanting, I would still have had recourse with the seller since I buy from established sellers, so, doesn't seem that crazy to me :shrugs:

If I only wanted what Hermès makes today, in the colors and leathers they make today, sure, I'd go boutique all day long, and certainly the past couple years I've bought many, many boutique bags (too many ;)) - but I would hate to be unable to delve into the past hundred years of H history :smile:

(Someone referenced an old issue with a bag that was authenticated by bababebi, but refused by spa; that was a major edge case, and the thread about it here was closed for many reasons, so personally I think it unfair to speculate without all the facts on that specific circumstance.)

every word a gem - including the final parenthesised paragraph

why can't more people have such a confident level-headed approach

And that brings up a fantastic point. One day I hope to buy my wife a Kelly from her birth year. That is something that I obviously cannot get from the store, so I keep my eyes out for one, but my comments really were slanted towards current bags.

This 1000%. There are many things that interest me that are simply not available at the boutique, including rested/discontinued colors along with discontinued sizes and styles. If the point is that Hermes is about, among other things, longevity and sustainability, the secondary market and auction houses are the primary ways to explore that. It’s unfortunate that the term ‘reseller’ has been painted with such a broad negative brush.

As for items currently available at the boutique I think assessing risk tolerance is a tough exercise but whatever the decision, I’m sad to see many people seemingly working themselves into unhealthy states about what is essentially a receptacle for stuff. I suspect there’s some hyperbole involved in how people express their views (at least I hope people aren’t really shedding tears about something they want and can’t have immediately under conditions to their liking) but it’s definitely worth thinking about these risks because it may help in clarifying any underlying issues about the purchase in the first place.

This 1000%. There are many things that interest me that are simply not available at the boutique, including rested/discontinued colors along with discontinued sizes and styles. If the point is that Hermes is about, among other things, longevity and sustainability, the secondary market and auction houses are the primary ways to explore that. It’s unfortunate that the term ‘reseller’ has been painted with such a broad negative brush.
As above.
I find myself somewhat underwhelmed by seeing the same bags in the boutiques and in 'the wild'..
I find myself drawn to many of the older colours/dye lots/leathers and styles.
In fact although I loathe Epsom I have found myself tempted by Courchevel its predecessor.
I choose to buy from reputable sources and trust in Bababebi for belt and braces authentication.
I'm possibly in the minority that I get more excited finding a rare discontinued design bag than I would getting an offer from the boutique.
If I wanted a bnib bag however I would rather wait as long as it takes for a boutique offer than buy from a reseller who buys to 'flip' for profit..I am very anti the 'flippers' and encouraging that element of the reseller market.

There’s nothing wrong w/ shopping a reputable reseller if you buy wisely and use Bababebi. She is fabulous. I shop a combination of both the store and reseller. If there is something very specific/color combo/hdw you want (or an older out of production color/leather) nothing wrong w it, just have to be careful, shop wisely, and ensure there is a return policy if you have it authenticated after the purchase. Your situation I’m not so sure. Don’t jeopardize authenticity because of price. You should expect to pay somewhat over retail on the reseller market. Also, the seller should accommodate/be flexible/responsive with any pictures requested for authentication purposes (for how much you are paying). I probably wouldn’t buy from Ebay personally, but it’s personal choice. Good luck.

Last edited:
As above.
I find myself somewhat underwhelmed by seeing the same bags in the boutiques and in 'the wild'..
I find myself drawn to many of the older colours/dye lots/leathers and styles.
In fact although I loathe Epsom I have found myself tempted by Courchevel its predecessor.
I choose to buy from reputable sources and trust in Bababebi for belt and braces authentication.
I'm possibly in the minority that I get more excited finding a rare discontinued design bag than I would getting an offer from the boutique.
If I wanted a bnib bag however I would rather wait as long as it takes for a boutique offer than buy from a reseller who buys to 'flip' for profit..I am very anti the 'flippers' and encouraging that element of the reseller market.
Exactly. And I would never had realized the difference, subtle though it may be, had I not been after a favorite discontinued color and found it in a little SLG that's now a prized possession. Was it a 'risky' purchase? In some respects of course, but it allowed me to explore the H world a bit more deeply than I would otherwise have been able to do, learn a bit more about H leathers, and better inform my future choices. It was a small risk that might inform a bigger risk should I find the right opportunity; nothing I have in mind is currently available at the boutique.

My observation from reading the responses to this thread is that acceptable risk seems to depend in part on what you're looking for in the secondary market. The considerations involved with purchasing a currently available bag seem to me to be very different from those involved with purchasing an older, vintage, or discontinued style bag. I agree with maxroxxherhandbags and others, I wouldn't purchase what I thought might be a flipped bag, but I admit, that choice is motivated in large part by the fact that those are not the bags that really call me. I've given some thought to a few bags that are closer to 'coveted bag' status but I've concluded that they're not worth the reseller price or the purchase anxiety to me, because IMO there are other options that please me equally or more, with less bother. Sometimes it helps to flow away from the tide.....

Add me to those who agree with this. The secondary market is not monolithic. It’s when people are chasing the “too good to be true” deals that the biggest risks arise IMO. But if you are interested in the heritage of Hermès it doesn’t take long to do your due diligence and identify a set of reputable sources that you are willing to buy from (and I always use bababebi). Personally I stay away from eBay but that’s because I don’t have the depth of knowledge of others here, that would give me sufficient confidence to buy on eBay.

With the exception of a pre-loved Birkin that I fell in love with and had to have, my secondary market purchases are generally focused by a search for rested colours, old box, chèvre or discontinued styles, and some of my finds are amongst the most loved bags in my collection.

Add me to those who agree with this. The secondary market is not monolithic. It’s when people are chasing the “too good to be true” deals that the biggest risks arise IMO. But if you are interested in the heritage of Hermès it doesn’t take long to do your due diligence and identify a set of reputable sources that you are willing to buy from (and I always use bababebi). Personally I stay away from eBay but that’s because I don’t have the depth of knowledge of others here, that would give me sufficient confidence to buy on eBay.

With the exception of a pre-loved Birkin that I fell in love with and had to have, my secondary market purchases are generally focused by a search for rested colours, old box, chèvre or discontinued styles, and some of my finds are amongst the most loved bags in my collection.
Looking at you Cardamom Chevre Kelly! :heart:

I will never buy a bag from reseller because for me its too much of a risk with such amount of money involved and not feeling 100 percent sure its authentic plus I only want my name/family name on the receipt documents without all those black outlines (think of diamond’s certificate 🤪) I wouldn’t mind hunting and waiting for it and enjoy the store experience and appreciate more than just a bag.

I was duped in the past. The reseller and authenticator were both "trusted" and "highly rated" by a lot of people. (But H said to me that that bag I purchased from the reseller and was authenticated as real is not their bag). I refuse to disclose their names because I don't want their patrons here to bash me and get angry with me when I am just sharing my personal experience. That said, I don't want to risk being duped again when it comes to buying H bags. So, I only buy my H bags from H. If anyone wants to buy from resellers and that makes you happy, go ahead. It is your money afterall. But I will never do it again!