What's your unpopular jewelry opinion?

Yeah that’s so interesting isn’t it? I remember reading someone said under 50s look tacky in diamonds and they should stick to pearls and I remember thinking ‘can’t wait that long- guess I’m looking tacky’ :graucho:

I do love pearls but as I’ve said before I think the traditional necklace only suits a formal and feminine aesthetic. (They look great with a black maxi dress.)

Though all the teens in westwood Pearl chokers make me think they might be having a revival and I’m just too old :lol:
Wait till you’re 50 to enjoy diamonds, waaaahhhh? Some people die before then. I’m proud to say I’m tacky AF because I’m usually dripping in diamonds!

I still can’t for the life of me understand why someone would believe we should deprive ourselves of the beauty of diamonds until we’re 50! Each of my diamonds tell a story, where we were, where we are now. My husband is a multi business owner and entrepreneur and I never would’ve dreamed that he’d let me splurge on an over 2 carat diamond. He bugged his eyes at the bill but ultimately said if you want it let’s do it. Looking at each of my diamonds from the smallest to the largest brings me so much joy. I could not wait! One thing my husband taught me is that while it’s good to save, it’s also ok to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Mine is that you can wear diamond rings on whatever hand or finger you want, regardless of whether you are engaged, married or single. Jewellery is to be enjoyed.
The very first time I was mesmerised by a ring was by Oprah's pinky ring. That small glimmer under the bright camera lights just worked so well.

I am now finaly living my diamond pinky ring dream beceause of corona weight. It's not quite the same but I still love the sentiment.

The very first time I was mesmerised by a ring was by Oprah's pinky ring. That small glimmer under the bright camera lights just worked so well.

I am now finaly living my diamond pinky ring dream beceause of corona weight. It's not quite the same but I still love the sentiment.

I can't say I know the ring or have seen people wear pinky rings where I am. Sounds lovely and dainty.

My “unpopular opinion”: tastes (and fashions) change over time. What you don’t like now, you’ll probably wake up one day utterly obsessed with :whut::cursing::lol:

Case in point: yellow gold. Throughout my 20s and early 30s, I was all about WG, claw-settings, only WG for me, YG and bezel-settings - yuck! So 80s, so old fashioned, gross...now I’m nearing my 40s, cue annoying the hell out of my jeweller getting him to reset things in YG bezel set, so chic, so fresh and modern, just gimme alllllll the YG please:girlsigh:
Hahaha that’s me! I thought exactly the same as you on the yellow gold. So 80s, antique, and gross! :lol:

I moved from white gold to rose gold. Have been wearing rose gold for a number of years now. Some pieces only come in WG or YG and I am picking the YG pieces, like who have I become?!

The majority of my collection is still rose gold, but who knows maybe in the future I’ll be a yellow gold convert like you!

I realize I’ve completely changed my mind about all of my unpopular opinions:
1. I now mix different colors of metal
2. I now adore designer jewelry. I’m more a Verdura Belperron person than VCA, but it’s still antithetical to how I was doe most of my life.
3. I spent decades wearing wg/platinum, only to have DH and my jeweler mention that yg or RG was more flattering and youthful (grrr)
4. I mix base jewelry with real (at my age who cares, plus coco Chanel did it first)
5. I used to be more interested in designer RTW or H bags than jewelry, whoops!
6. I used to think diamonds were the end all, now I like colored stones
7. I used to prefer small dainty pieces (but I was a lot thinner then)
8. pearls can still be matronly, but they are beautiful when large baroque, so I’ve had mine remounted — on heavy wg chain and other things. . .
9. I cannot count the number of rings — including engagement and wedding— that I’ve lost (DH mistakenly threw out my wedding Sapphire with newspapers one year) so I do have a small stable of rings as stand ins.
10. I’m not crazy about two tone rolexes, but I did wear a santos and a tank Francais men’s size in two tone. since DH got his ALange Zeitwork and Odysseus watches, I now wear his cast off IWC, JLCs and Breguet :biggrin:
11. I like reading about all of our differences — if we all liked the same things, it would be very boring
12. all of these changes came about from my TPF jewelry mentors! Thank you

Last edited:

Oh my goodness! Same! I saw Oprah’s pinkie and feel in love with diamonds.

Reactions: Egel
Mine is: there's a wonderfully huge universe of beautiful and unique jewelry, all of which is just as likely to hold value and be enjoyed for a lifetime as the high-name-recognition and (to me) stereotypical choices. Quatrefoils and screwheads are fine as motifs, but far from a yummy choice for anyone and everyone. You'd hardly know that from the many postings about jewelry box essentials.
So much charm and soul is possible in collectible, serious jewelry...I wish people felt more excited to shop around and make their own statements.

Last edited: