Vintage fur coat?

Yeah and I'm just imagining that scene from sex and the city where Samantha got paint on her fur coat. People won't be able to tell that it's vintage and I would prefer not to be attacked in the streets.

Very few people walk around town carrying tins of paint IRL. Far too heavy and it gets expensive ;). You won't be visiting any furriers anyway.

I don’t like new fur but if someone is given vintage, then I see it as respectful to the animals to take good care of their hides and keep them out of the landfill.

I live in a cold climate and while fur is warm, a full fur coat is kind of a grandma look. Women tend to wear the 50/50 boot paired with a puffy parka or for a dressier look, a tailored cashmere or wool coat.

Teddy bear coats and faux fur in fashion colors (pinks, emerald, teal) are popular with the trendier set.

I would keep the vintage cut of the coat because at least it will look vintage and you can style around it. You may also catch less comments if people can see it is also a sustainable choice.

I live in a cold climate and while fur is warm, a full fur coat is kind of a grandma look. Women tend to wear the 50/50 boot paired with a puffy parka or for a dressier look, a tailored cashmere or wool coat.

I think that depends entirely on the style of vintage coat and how you wear it. Some styles can be more "retro" yes, particularly vertical panels but they can be styled to look quite youthful, if you look at what Phillipa London offer I dont think any of these looks are "grandma-ish" at all.

• Love
Reactions: 880
We've just had a long Summer, and most people haven't been going out much either.

When the weather tuns you'll probably see a lot of people in puffer jackets, nylon (thermoplastic) shells filled with either manmade wadding that is literally smothering our planet eventually, or the more expensive feathers that are often just as cruelly 'harvested' from birds. There's also a lot of faux fur around (some at extortionate prices) that is made of nylon (which is a plastic).

The hate of fur is mostly a political one and not about animal rights. I love most animals more than I love most humans. I not only support many wildlife charities with hard cash but work for them too. I am very familiar with all the arguments on both sides and one of the best things you can do for the planet is wear old or existing clothes of all kinds (high street or designer or vintage) and that includes old furs.

Just a couple of years ago I'd go to work and every other person was wearing a big real fur pom pom on their wool beanie. No idea where all those hats have gone but I guess most of those hats are land fill now as these hats were just a fad. None of those people minded real fur. Nor the stuff around their parkers' hoods which was another fashion now gone. Because these were not seen as luxury items no one bothered these wearers.

Much better for sustainability and honour the lives of animals that went to make that jacket by using it for the length of its usefulness. A hand-me-down coat that is 30 years old is much better for our Earth than a new nylon one.

I have a few furs. I just wear them. As faux fur is everywhere (even though it nylon is plastic and literally chokes the planet) Those that can tell they're real usually have their own those that don't don't. If it's dyed fur it's even harder.

If anyone says anything just tell them you don't know an/or as @880 said, it's your mother's.

A few years ago when there was a really cold winter here, I wore a fur coat from my granny, some idiot came up to me and shouted, I felt compelled to ask him if he thinks the leather jacket and shoes he wear grow on trees or if it might be animal skin, the only difference between my coat and leather jacket and shoes is that mine was 40 years plus and that I would have considered it wrong to bin it, as it would not have made the animals alive again, he did sputter a bit and I went "Is that steak or a burger I smell on your self righteous breath?"

Don't get me wrong, I would not buy new fur, I am more upset about the conditions animals are kept in and the massive waste, I try to keep anything like leather down to a minimum and have emailed designers for their sources, if the sources are China or Pakistan, I tend to give them a miss, not racism but the conditions the animals are kept in and are slaughtered. Personally I find it nuts that we kill animals for meat but throw away their skin, or raise them for the leather and throw away the meat, if we could raise, keep and kill them in a less horrible way and they'd have some life, I would have much much less of a problem with it

I'm currently having a bespoke seal fur jacket made, more people should consider this wonderful fur. Seal fur supports indigenous peoples, it's a by-product since they hunt them for meat. It's extremely beautiful and can be dyed all sorts of colours.

I will not consider it, as they tend to be clubbed unconscious, then be skinned alive and left to die, and nope, it is not a by-product, they are hunted for the pelts, the meat tends to be the by-product. Personally I pass and applaud everybody who might spray them

Reactions: keodi
I will not consider it, as they tend to be clubbed unconscious, then be skinned alive and left to die, and nope, it is not a by-product, they are hunted for the pelts, the meat tends to be the by-product. Personally I pass and applaud everybody who might spray them

Seal meat is a staple food for many indigenous communities, especially in Greenland. You are wrong, the demand for the pelts is far lower than the meat and the pelts have declined in value from lack of western demand, which of course affects those communities. The means by which they are killed is a very efficient tool that has been used for thousands of years.

Last edited:
Reactions: pinkrose398
Don't get me wrong, I would not buy new fur, I am more upset about the conditions animals are kept in and the massive waste, I try to keep anything like leather down to a minimum and have emailed designers for their sources, if the sources are China or Pakistan, I tend to give them a miss, not racism but the conditions the animals are kept in and are slaughtered. Personally I find it nuts that we kill animals for meat but throw away their skin, or raise them for the leather and throw away the meat, if we could raise, keep and kill them in a less horrible way and they'd have some life, I would have much much less of a problem with it

Fur farms are under higher scrutiny today than ever before and hold themselves to very high standards to ensure a quality product, you can read about it here. Whilst it is a luxurious purchase few can afford, the modern fur industry needs our support more than ever to be promoted as the most eco-friendly option for winter clothing. You can support farmers and trappers in North America if you find Chinese suppliers unsavoury - many trappers are indigenous peoples you will be supporting, using traditional methods and hunting sustainably. One great coat lasts a lifetime and can be re-shaped and re-modelled if your style changes.

Reactions: papertiger
I live in Canada and seal meat is part of Northern indigenous diets. Indigenous people use 100% of the seal, the meat to eat and then the skin for clothes. They don't go nuts and over hunt the seals, as they only hunt what they need.

A few years ago my grandma gave me a beautiful, custom made Persian lamb coat with stunning details she had made back in the 60s or early 70s, way before I was even born. I was initially thrilled and even updated it with new buttons as I felt the original ones dated it, and then I found out how Persian lamb (on top of it being, uhm, lamb which is kind of cruel in itself) is "harvested" and I can't even look at it without feeling awful. On the one hand I feel like @papertiger - evil is done, the least I can do is wear that thing -, on the other hand I just do not support the fur industry whatsoever and do try to minimize the use of animal products (because even wool can be tricky WTF). Ugh.

Last edited:

This so much.

Reactions: Gabs007
I have a broadtail (Persian lamb) jacket with black mink trim. I posted a photo of it to one of the other fur threads a year or two ago. I absolutely love it, and just had the lining replaced in it. It is very similar to this one:

I have several vintage and preowned fur coats, that I wear every winter. I have never received any negative feedback about my furs. On the contrary, I have received many compliments on them. However, I live in the Midwestern U.S., and that may make a difference. It seems like the most vocal fur-haters are in New York and California.

Check out the "Post Your Fur Items" thread, along with "Think Mink" and "Fox in Action".

Last edited:
This thread is about wearing VINTAGE fur, we do not allow debates on the cruelty or links to that very controversial discussion. There's many other places online to debate and judge others. Please stick to the topic.

Reactions: snibor and 880
I have several vintage and preowned fur coats, that I wear every winter. I have never received any negative feedback about my furs. On the contrary, I have received many compliments on them.

Although I’m in NYC and i remember the PETA posters on buses from years ago, i do get compliments on my vintage fur too! Maybe its bc i tend to wear fur with jeans casually and people dont think of it as real. . . I just realized the embarrassing reason why I didn’t wear my vintage fur as much in last years is bc I was heavier and couldn’t fit winter clothing under the vintage fur sleeves. No connection to OP,s orginal concern. Would love to see your action pic if you can repost! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Although I’m in NYC and i remember the PETA posters on buses from years ago, i do get compliments on my vintage fur too! Maybe its bc i tend to wear fur with jeans casually and people dont think of it as real. . . I just realized the embarrassing reason why I didn’t wear my vintage fur as much in last years is bc I was heavier and couldn’t fit winter clothing under the vintage fur sleeves. No connection to OP,s orginal concern. Would love to see your action pic if you can repost! :biggrin:

I'm glad that you're receiving compliments and not being harassed about your furs. :smile: I will try to get some modeling pics posted by next weekend. I have acquired a couple more vintage pieces that I haven't posted here yet.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and snibor