Vca bracelet in the shower

Just a reminder that different materials have different volume expansion coefficients, which means that metal will expand/shrink differently than MOP/onyx/carnelian when temperature and humidity changes. In extreme cases, the inserts may fall off due to this particular reason. Water is not a major concern to metal, but soap and other chemicals can dull your platinum, leave a film over diamonds and wear off your rhodium plating on your WG. Water, soap and chemicals can also alter the appearances of your stones and MOP in the long run. VCA is very clear that you should avoid water when wearing MOP, and diamond is the only gemstone that they recommend cleaning with water.

I have the sweet carnelian and a MoP vintage pendant that I never take off. The MoP I've worn daily for over a year and there are no changes with water. Personally, if it shrinks it shrinks, I have heard that it take years and years for that to happen you can just replace the motifs, in Canada its about 150 I think per motif but don't quote me on that I have a pretty bad memory. Given that the 5 motif bracelet is difficult for me to put on and take off I would just end up never wearing it due to the hassle. I do own a pave and gray MoP from the 50 yr anniversary collection. That bracelet I take off for showers because I find the gray MoP has turned foggy due to the water residue, im guessing similar to malachite although I don't own a VCA malachite piece. This fogging has never happened on my white MOP or red carnelian pieces.

Just a reminder that different materials have different volume expansion coefficients, which means that metal will expand/shrink differently than MOP/onyx/carnelian when temperature and humidity changes. In extreme cases, the inserts may fall off due to this particular reason. Water is not a major concern to metal, but soap and other chemicals can dull your platinum, leave a film over diamonds and wear off your rhodium plating on your WG. Water, soap and chemicals can also alter the appearances of your stones and MOP in the long run. VCA is very clear that you should avoid water when wearing MOP, and diamond is the only gemstone that they recommend cleaning with water.
Thanks for this info. I just have gold pieces but I’m looking at carnelian. Do you just clean the gemstones with a dry cloth then? No water right?

Basically SA said no wearing the MOP or any of the other semi previous ones in the shower, beach (salt water) or in pools. It’s confusing though as others wear theirs all the time in the shower etc. Decisions, decisions! :P
MOP is formed from calcium carbonate and will definitely degrade badly if not treated with care. Your SA explained the situation well without being too technical. You can go to VCA’s website for care tips as well. But on the other hand, once you purchased the piece, it’s yours to enjoy. Do whatever you want with it bc you own every part of it. Have fun with it!

Reactions: RosiePx
A lot of people and VCA won’t recommend wearing these pieces in the shower because @SPBiaes says they chemicals can affect different stones in different ways. When you read testimonies of people saying they have worn it in showers for years without noticing any difference you should consider whether their definition of “difference” is the same as yours. I often see differences when others do not. So do what you want to do but just be prepared for the potential consequences. If the appearance changes you knew it could happen. People choose what they want to believe.

Not to judge - just my opinion - I don’t like wearing VCA or any jewelry in the shower. I was told not to wear my VCA jewelry in the shower or pool or near perfume. The stones are delicate and should be cared for as such. If you believe, as I do, the stones give off energy please consider handling with care and keep away from hard water, chemicals and sulfates. I enjoy caring for my precious stones and putting them away as part of my nighttime routine and to rest their energy - then selecting them in the morning for my jewelry of the day. That gives me pleasure and it’s not a chore. I do wear them in the pool to cool off but not to swim. I also enjoy wearing sunbathing, as the stones absorb energy from the sun. Maybe it’s due to my age but if you read about what your stones represent (besides the money value) you may treat them as more spiritual jewelry and want to care for and preserve the energies as well as their beauty. Life is short. Slow down and enjoy the moments of preserving such tokens of beauty. Take the time to care for possessions that need respect. They will become even MORE enjoyable.

Which of the two bracelets would you think to be the more durable? I would be getting yellow gold for the vintage Alhambra. Thinking the frivoloe might be more delicate.View attachment 5044200View attachment 5044202
I didn’t think they made the single motif sweet Alhambra in yellow gold? But since they don’t have semi previous stones, I think they are both ok in the shower. I would be worried about scratching the frivole. Scratches on the sweet Alhambra though I think would be hard to see.

Reactions: lilpikachu
I’m on the same boat with wanting a MOP Alhambra Vintage 5 motif bracelet but I don’t want to take it off for showering and working out. I like wearing most of my jewelry 24/7. I just started my collection with MOP pendant so the MOP bracelet would be a nice match. I want something that is careful so my SA suggested the yellow or rose gold Alhambra vintage 5 motif for everyday wear. I really like MOP more but will probably get the yellow gold as it seems to fit what my needs are.

Reactions: hhw