Unpopular Celine Opinions

I might really upset some people but: I love Phoebo Philo's philosophy on handbags, but I don't like old Celine designs, save for the Sangle Seau. I really don't like the trapeze for example. I much prefer new Celine and Hedi Slimane's more modern handbags, like all the Triomphe bags and the Triomphe canvas. I like the new Ava, the Folco. I feel like Hedi has broadened Celine's image to include younger consumers. Of course, I'm definitely part of the new wave of handbag enthusiasts that were brought in by Blackpink's Lisa and other young influencers, so I understand I'm biased. I also get how Hedi is bringing back a lot of old designs, and some of which might have been done by Phoebe as well.

What are your unpopular Celine opinions?
I am yet to own a Celine bag however I’ve learnt a lot of their history from the day Celine started making baby shoes. I followed the company development and happy to say Hedi Brought the best light out of theirs.
He deliberated the historic emblem TRIOMPHE out of “constraint”
I just purchased a black Trapeze Triomphe for my boss.
I might give myself a shoulder Triomphe canvas bag.
P.S: I am an LV lover

(I'm Chinese and the number of times I have heard other handbag enthusiasts say they bought a bag because of Lisa or say this bag is popular because of Lisa is amazing. I never hear anyone say they got a bag because of Jennie, Rose, or Jisoo. But I'm not into Chanel or Dior, so that could also be the cause.)

I love Kpop, Blackpink, and Lisa, and I couldn't agree more! Lisa and I are not the same person! She is tall, skinny, and is gifted bags by the brand. I don't get bags for free! I also don't have a stylist that supplies me with clothes, I have to buy all my own clothes. What works for Lisa and what works for me isn't going to overlap that much.

Although it must be said: the selling power of celebrities is really impressive, because they wouldn't default to that line so much if it didn't work that often. Outside of a select group of people, how many people actually consider every factor of a handbag before purchasing, or do they just get it because it looks cool or a celebrity uses it?
Late to the game but there’s good reason why you don’t hear the same things about Jennie/Rosé for Chanel and Dior respectively.

Everybody who knows handbags are likely to be aware of designs like the Chanel 2.55 and Lady Dior. These bags have been around since forever and are considered iconic luxury bags to have. You can use Kpop stars to push for a younger/trendier/more diverse image especially in the growing Asian market - but even Asian consumers don’t buy classic flaps or Lady Diors because some celebrity carries them. They buy these bags because they are classic designs, are symbols of taste and wealth (rightly or wrongly), and hold their value well (albeit more so for Chanel than Dior).

Lisa, on the other hand, is the first ever Celine global ambassador IIRC. She was brought in precisely to market the new range of designs under Slimane’s reign. If you think about it, most of the bags Lisa carries are new-ish designs that hit the market only in the last couple of years. They do not hold classic status at this point (which isn’t to say they won’t become so anytime in the future).

In light of this, the use of celebrity endorsements is rather crucial for growing awareness and brand recall, especially among the younger target audience. (And based on your postings, it clearly seems to have worked - so take a bow, Heidi.) On the other hand, fans of Old Celine hate the direction the brand has taken because of the huge departure from what it purportedly used to stand for.

I agree that most things Slimane makes look good on Lisa, but don’t they always - on any good-looking celebrity who has an army of stylists looking after them? I look at the bags in store and none of them appeal to me when on a shelf and not on a celeb in an IG shot.

That’s not to say I was a fan of every Old Celine design. Personally, I never got the hype around the Luggage (can’t unsee the face) or the Phantom (can’t unsee the face on a stingray to boot).

Disclaimer: I never did care for buying stuff just because so-and-so endorses it - not when I was younger and certainly not now, so please go ahead and take my views with a shaker of salt.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m too old but tbh I think the blackpink association cheapens every brand. They are a girl group for teenagers (at least for me) they fit more into a Nike or asos collab.

Obviously I’m wrong and it makes megabucks and I’m not that au fait with who these people are to the Asian markets.

But… it’s just so generic when I saw them all standing there with each wearing a different brand logo I just felt like creativity was dead and the designers were admitting it’s the same generic stuff with different names on it.

At least if we’d gotten a spice girls x Celine project it would’ve been nuts.

I heard a while ago that LVMH invests money and is a shareholder of YG entertainment, the company that produces Blackpink. So the brand endorsements for the members of Blackpink make a lot of sense. You can basically produce your own celebrities to sell your products.

It is amazing seeing Blackpink's selling power in Asia. Celine has made a lot of money in China, South Korea, Southeast Asia using Lisa and other celebrities to sell products