Tiffany Refused to Set My Stone

Wow.... have not seen one before, Can't wait to see your 20ct diamond dancingal! Oh, congratulations to you on this huge inheritance. Your grandma surely have loved you lots. Wow, 5 deposit boxes filled with diamonds :amazed:. You're a very lucky girl, and obviously much loved.

Reactions: Noyerx
actually i agree with what has been said before cartier chopard van cleef etc. all will set your stone if it is of remarkeble provenace /quality /color/ size etc.
do not know about tiffanys but the european houses definately. so why not make an appointment with them and see what they say :tup:
usually if they accept the stone you will be presented some drawings with design suggestions (made to what you discussed with the designer)and start from there just one word your design has to go with the aesthetics of the house kwim but that should be no problem if you go with a house whose designs you love in the beginning
good luck and a lot o fun !

my mother had a tiffany engagement ring from the 60's. my dad bought it at the NY tiffany's.

she decided to have it reset by tiffany, they told her she would have to have it sent back to new york (i think) to have it verified as one of their stones...before they would even touch it.

I can only imagine what your insurance policy on these stones is costing! You have insurance, right?

I would suggest Traditional Jewelers in Newport Beach, CA., they can do anything and I feel they are very trustworthy.

Unfortunately, Tiffany will not set your personal stone for you. In fact, a lot of the premium jewelers will pass on doing this. Liability issues are too high... The ones that will do this will probably make you sign a waiver and will ask you to buy your own insurance in case the stone breaks as they are setting it.

Knowing all this: I second/third the recommendation for Leon Mege. We went to many different designers before picking him. He designed my engagement ring and it came out beautifully! We didn't find him to be short with us. But like any artist, he does have his own opinions about what works and doesn't work with your stone.

Take a look at his website: artofplatinum.com and if his work appeals to you, make an appointment to meet with him so you can get a feeling of, "can I work with this person/company or not?"

I think jewelry is personal and you should work with someone you trust 100%. You mentioned they will be passed down to your children so they are priceless pieces. Good luck! :tup:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think I'd rather entrust family heirlooms to a family jeweler instead of a chain jeweler. Yes, we're talking about Tiffany here, but I think you'd get better personalized service from someone who knows you and your family and the history of the stones.

Reactions: Noyerx and Cat2708
I think any reputable jeweller would be absolutely thrilled to work with a 20 carat diamond, especially if it's high quality! If Tiffany is making you jump through hoops go elsewhere - it's their loss not yours!

Send your 20ct stone to me...I'll reset it for you. :graucho:

Kidding aside. I agree about taking your diamonds to a trusted local jeweler. I don't blame Tiffany for only working on their own stones honestly.

Reactions: etk123