Tiffany or Cartier: Photos of 2 ct E-rings, help choose!

Choose the Tiffany or Cartier diamond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Congratulations on having such a wonderful dilemma! :smile:

I would go with the Cartier simply because it meets all the ideal specifications of a perfect diamond. Although the Tiffany may look better, it would bug me knowing that my ring does not have the "perfect" specifications. Also I would prefer an external, impartial certified diamond (GIA) as compared to inhouse certification. But they are both stunning rings!

The difference in sparkle might be in the setting (i.e. Tiffany sets the diamond higher, etc...). The thinner knife-edge band on the Tiffany definitely looks better than the wider band on the Cartier ring.

don't get too carried away with numbers, i come from a family whom some are gemologists, while cut is important (i can go into way too much details about the table, crown, pavilion etc), but at the end of the day, use your EYES!!! That's the best I advice I have given to anyone. If the Tiffany speaks to you, go with that! When your looking at your diamond, your not going to be looking at the papers all day but the actual stone. If you don't care about the in-house cert, ask to have it sent to gia or ags for report.

Dear friends, thank you for all your replies, votes, and for sharing your experiences. It was so helpful to hear your how you all chose and bought your rings. I also appreciated hearing from those of you who had a friend in the industry, and reassuring me that the numbers on paper shouldn’t have the final say. I’m still puzzled over why the “perfect” Cartier didn’t sparkle like the “imperfect” Tiffany — but I guess there are so many factors that contribute to the sparkle other than the numbers, e.g. the higher setting, as apey_grapey mentioned.

The next morning, we returned to Tiffany and asked to compare the original diamond of interest with diamonds matching the carat size, but with higher value, around 55k (due to better color and because they matched more of Ame’s parameters). In comparing 3 diamonds of relatively the same size, but varying quality, I wanted to see if I could actually discern a correlation between “good specs on paper” and “sparkle.” Again I have to praise Tiffany because they were so patient and kind in allowing me to sit and play with, compare, and manhandle these three gorgeous rings for half an hour! lol! :lol: The SA and I even played a kind of shell game, hiding the tags and testing if I could ID which diamond was the most expensive (and thus should look the best and sparkle the most), etc.

So what did I see? I could barely tell any difference between the 3. No correlation! Lol. That reinforced the idea that I should be guided by numbers but follow my heart (and eye!). And when you can’t confidently tell between a 42k diamond and a 55k diamond, then you know straightaway to take home the 42k one! :lol:

I happily took home the Tiffany 2.15. And looking at your guys’ votes, it looks like I made the right decision. The people have spoken!

Thanks again for all your help! More photos to come tomorrow after I get some rest — just returned to California from London and I’m exhausted! (Side note: The ring ended up a bit cheaper than expected, coming in at around 39kUSD. They accommodated us by arranging it to be MIB so we didn't have to deal with VAT as well. We saved ~17% by buying in London, which was fun and exciting :yes: )

The next morning, we returned to Tiffany and asked to compare the original diamond of interest with diamonds matching the carat size, but with higher value, around 55k ...
... And when you can’t confidently tell between a 42k diamond and a 55k diamond, then you know straightaway to take home the 42k one! :lol:

Oops! In my exhaustion, I posted wrong numbers -- the 2 more expensive diamonds I looked at were valued at USD 50k, not 55k (after conversion from GBP to USD and subtracting VAT). Guess I was more delirious and exhausted than I thought after all! Sorry about that. In conclusion, I couldn't see much difference between the Tiffany 42k, the Tiffany 50k with better specs, and the "perfect" Cartier 55k -- and I'm happy with my choice!!

Last edited: